Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I've been compiling a list of these recommendations to watch because I've been having trouble finding horror movies I like.

Just watched The Invitation tonight and can report that it was both good and fit the recommendation criteria.

It wasn't "I'm too afraid to turn the lights out" scary but was unsettling from the very first few minutes and just became increasingly tense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Das Boo posted:

Insidious write-up

Serious question: how does Darth Maul demon even get a 78 rpm copy of Tiny Tim in the Further? Is he some sort of hipster demon who camped out for record store day in our realm? And why is his lair like a grandmother’s house with porcelain dolls and doilies and a gramophone and vintage furniture?

It’s like Tim Burton showed up to give him some tips on how to be whimsically creepy.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Lunacy (2005)

Foreign film that follows a mentally ill man through two stories inspired by Edgar Allen Poe while he suffers from night-terrors / hallucinations that are conducted with stop animation including animal parts.

It is artsy-fartsy while being unsettling throughout.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

You Are A Elf posted:

Serious question: how does Darth Maul demon even get a 78 rpm copy of Tiny Tim in the Further? Is he some sort of hipster demon who camped out for record store day in our realm? And why is his lair like a grandmother’s house with porcelain dolls and doilies and a gramophone and vintage furniture?

It’s like Tim Burton showed up to give him some tips on how to be whimsically creepy.

I would love to know, particularly about Tiny Tim. It could make sense for one of the ghosts because, you know, they were humans with interests and tastes at one point. But what is the in-universe explanation for the demon? Does he genuinely enjoy Tiny Tim? Does he play it for visitors? To menace his victims? What is it about Tiny Tim that has all the demons raving?

It's like finding out Pazuzu enjoys listening to some CCR in his downtime.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I didn’t realize liking Tiny Tim was that weird. Ok, that’s another thing I now know not to mention on first dates.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Das Boo posted:

It's like finding out Pazuzu enjoys listening to some CCR in his downtime.

I’ve heard that Pinhead and the Cenobites are very fond of ABBA. Enter their hellish labyrinth by solving the Lament Configuration and be greeted by the soothing sounds of “Fernando.”

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh yeah Hellraiser movies don't have jump scares do they? I wish they'd make more movies like the first two Hellraiser movies that skirt the line between horror and fantasy.

Pan's Labyrinth is the only thing that immediately comes to mind that's like that.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

The fact that our souls are an unneeded byproduct of meat-driven electrochemistry is way more horrifying than a spider falling on your shoulder or you washing your face in the bathroom sink only to see the face of the hillbilly killer in the mirror.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
imagine a demon that haunts you with the venga bus song

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

InediblePenguin posted:

imagine a demon that haunts you with the venga bus song

That’s what I’m talking about!

*in minor key, sotto voce*
the venga bus is coming…

Really makes you think about the impermanence of your physical form.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I always get Insidious and Sinister mixed up, due to similar titles

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

I’m like, super afraid of country people, mostly based on their depictions in horror films, with it probably bordering on being bigotry. People who don’t see a stoplight at least daily want to pickle my body parts and add them to their spicy, likely Polish-seasoned stews. Anybody who objects to my bizarre, media-inspired phobias is also probably planning to murder me. Please recommend movies in the vein of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Hill Have Eyes, The Wicker Man, anything else with cannibalism or paganism. Nothing is too vile for me btw, you’re not gonna get me making GBS threads on you on Twitter for posting a cannibal rape dissection scene or whatever, I’m not bothered by things that should actually upset me.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've seen hundreds of horror movies, so let me see what I can think of. . .

Pontypool: Atmospheric, nice pacing. Entertaining. Not the scariest, but eh.
The Witch: You have to see this atleast once. Creepy, subdued, just overall good movie.
Starry Eyes: Lovecraftian horror and body exploitation of a young woman trying to make it in Hollywood. Yes.
The Void: Lovecraftian horror, very very good.
Creep 1, and 2: Creep 1 scared me so bad I honestly couldn't sleep after it. It's just..Unsettling.
VHS: Worth watching atleast once. Pretty good. Lots of weird poo poo in it.
Would you rather: Worth a watch atleast once.
Cube: Lol. Watch Cube atleast once in your life.

The problem with horror movies is that they are cheap as hell to make and some of them are REALLY, REALLY bad.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Cube wasn’t scary. The "cute", meaningful names for the characters made it seem more like, I dunno, Waiting For Godot than an actual horror movie. I’m basically only scared of either receiving the death penalty for a crime I didn’t commit or being murdered for the benefit of a false god. Honestly a real god would piss me off too but whatevs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Peter Daou Zen posted:

The problem with horror movies is that they are cheap as hell to make and some of them are REALLY, REALLY bad.

How can horror movies cost less than dramas? Dramas are mostly people standing around talking while nothing much happens.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

How can horror movies cost less than dramas? Dramas are mostly people standing around talking while nothing much happens.

Yeah same in horror movies but you need a fake blood dude for those.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
Sam Was Here fits the afraid of rednecks thing very well. It has really horrible reviews but I did not think it was total trash tier.

The Greasy Strangler is good and gross but that's more like weird, depraved, white trash John Waters stuff than hillbillies.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Cube wasn’t scary. The "cute", meaningful names for the characters made it seem more like, I dunno, Waiting For Godot than an actual horror movie. I’m basically only scared of either receiving the death penalty for a crime I didn’t commit or being murdered for the benefit of a false god. Honestly a real god would piss me off too but whatevs.

dont talk poo poo about cube!!!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

caleb posted:

Sam Was Here fits the afraid of rednecks thing very well. It has really horrible reviews but I did not think it was total trash tier.

The Greasy Strangler is good and gross but that's more like weird, depraved, white trash John Waters stuff than hillbillies.

Lol greasy strangler was great, watched it with my dad last Father’s Day actually, then we watched Jay Bauman reviewing it, and he said I was a plagiarist for comparing it to Jon Waters even though that’s like, a trivially obvious observation? I mean it couldn’t have been more obvious unless the fat chick had been played by a fat drag queen.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Peter Daou Zen posted:

dont talk poo poo about cube!!!

I don’t dislike it, I honestly don’t, and I need to take a better look at it, but it’s not scary. I don’t ever have nightmares about waking up in lethal, geometrically themed escape rooms. Maybe I should.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Wrong Turn immediately comes to mind for hillbilly horror.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Wizchine posted:

Wrong Turn immediately comes to mind for hillbilly horror.

Thanks. Please keep in mind I’m extremely sheltered and my definition of hillbilly is basically anybody who’s of scots-irish ancestry (Scottish or Irish people this isn’t referring to you, it’s a specific seppo ancestry) and/or Christian in any flavor. If you aren’t a secular humanist like my dad it only makes sense you’re a sick fucker and think of everybody based only on the nutrients or spiritual value they contain.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 21, 2021

sad question
May 30, 2020

Revins posted:

I always get Insidious and Sinister mixed up, due to similar titles
Sinister had a pretty cool premise but was over reliant on jump scares. I remember two that were so utterly shameless I kinda respected it.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Thanks. Please keep in mind I’m extremely sheltered and my definition of hillbilly is basically anybody who’s of scots-irish ancestry (Scottish or Irish people this isn’t referring to you, it’s a specific seppo ancestry) and/or Christian in any flavor. If you aren’t a secular humanist like my dad it only makes sense you’re a sick fucker and think of everybody based only on the nutrients or spiritual value they contain.

It actually takes place in the Appalachians - in other words, home of the people in the United States who were originally termed "hillbillies".

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

sad question posted:

Sinister had a pretty cool premise but was over reliant on jump scares. I remember two that were so utterly shameless I kinda respected it.

Honest question: what would the most shameless jump scare be? Really obvious and predictable, but it goes for it anyway? Or an ordinary peaceful scene that suddenly slams you out of nowhere? Because that one in The Ring, that was some poo poo.

I saw her face

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Oh yeah Hellraiser movies don't have jump scares do they? I wish they'd make more movies like the first two Hellraiser movies that skirt the line between horror and fantasy.

Pan's Labyrinth is the only thing that immediately comes to mind that's like that.

Tigers are not Afraid mixes horror and fantasy

Other foreign language horrors I'd recommend:
The Devil's Backbone, another Del Toro
Raw, coming of age cannibal film
The Platform, Kafkaesque justice system
La Llorona, Guatemalan political horror

sad question
May 30, 2020

magikid posted:

Honest question: what would the most shameless jump scare be? Really obvious and predictable, but it goes for it anyway? Or an ordinary peaceful scene that suddenly slams you out of nowhere? Because that one in The Ring, that was some poo poo.

I saw her face
That's a good question! I think that The Ring scare is pretty good, actually - its placement is justified in the scene since iirc a character is describing their trauma so a sudden flash of it makes sense.

As for what a shameless jump scare is, to me it's a mix of two factors: 1) putting it in a really obvious moment where everyone can see it coming and it's impossible that director doesn't realize that we know 2) making it even louder and in your face than an average jump scare, possibly in an effort to overcome the predictability by turning up intensity.

Sinister in particular has a couple that might as well show a countdown culminating with a guy jumping from off screen and yelling ooga booga booga. You can watch the ending jump scare on youtube - it's comical.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

sad question posted:

Sinister in particular has a couple that might as well show a countdown culminating with a guy jumping from off screen and yelling ooga booga booga. You can watch the ending jump scare on youtube - it's comical.

Holy hell, you're not joking. That's almost exactly what it is.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

sad question posted:

lol that is literally “peek-a-boo! I see you!” with a dumb jumpy sound effect. Shameful.

If you’re looking for country bumpkin horror that’s also a comedy, Motel Hell is what you’re looking for. You can tell Rory Calhoun and Nancy Parsons had an absolute blast making it, and it shows. The pig head chainsaw scene has been referenced several times in other works, too. You get the same horror comedy with Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. I mean, the movie poster is a straight up parody of The Breakfast Club’s, and I love it. You gotta love Chop Top eating the dead skin he picks off his heated coat hanger.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Sinister was an odd one. The real world was full of those goofy jump scares while everything in the found footage was amazingly quiet and unsettling. There's a very mild track they play during them that deepens the horror. I don't understand much about sound design, but it somehow nails the feeling of encroaching. Some of the best found footage I've ever seen.

Kinda wish the movie was about the main character stumbling across those and being "inspired." That would've been an upsetting as hell film.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
OP, this site is pretty useful:
https://wheresthejump.com/ because I also hate jump scares, but most of the films being recommended so far in the thread that I've seen have at least one (if not more), often cheap fakeout ones too. The site tells you exactly when they are though so at least you know it's coming and can give you an idea how many there are.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The original Japanese One Missed Call is pretty good except for one kind of bizarre tangent the story goes on for a while. The plot is basically that you get a phone call from yourself at the moment of your death, meaning that you're cursed to die. Unlike the Ring, you can't spread it to other people to give yourself time. You're gonna die unless you can somehow end the curse completely. It's presented as an urban legend for high school kids at first until we see how it really works.

In a completely weird segment, one girl is cursed and decides to talk to a TV show about the paranormal. She then goes on the show where they stage an elaborate ritual to try and prevent her death, complete with a giant countdown clock to her supposed moment of death. The studio is then filled with paranormal energy that blows up the lights and stuff, and she is brutally murdered ON FILM by having her body twisted around like a twig. None of this has any bearing on the plot at all, despite the fact that you've just proven to the world that paranormal activity is real, can murder you, and that this phone curse is 100% real

That part felt like another movie snuck in for 15 minutes or so. It wasn't bad, it just was such a tonal shift that it kind of knocked me out of the movie. I did enjoy the ending of this one a lot, even with this crazy part.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Maaan, A Quiet Place pissed me off. Not does it regularly break its own dumb logic (the waterfall thing, physics flipping during the silo scene, everyone forgetting moccasins or socks exist, the military being unable to figure out the sound thing which is helpfully! circled "WHAT IS THEIR WEAKNESS?" on a white board, why are they not always in the basement when at home, generators being loud as gently caress but they have lights and the monsters can still hear their minute movements, WHO THE gently caress HAMMERED THAT NAIL THERE AND WHY), but it is loving loaded with jump scares of people slamming their hands onto other's shoulders, against walls, etc. Like yes, these monsters can hear a pin drop so LET ME STARTLE THE poo poo OUT OF BOBBY TO REMIND HIM TO BE QUIET!

I have only seen that movie once and the whole time I was trying to reason with it. "But you said...? But you just established...? But why is the goddamn grain treated like quicksand at the beginning of the scene and now you're not sinking with the weight of a monster on top of you? Who the gently caress hammers a loving nail upwards into the dead middle of a loving stair?! WHY?!"

Still angry, evidently.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Das Boo posted:

Maaan, A Quiet Place pissed me off. Not does it regularly break its own dumb logic (the waterfall thing, physics flipping during the silo scene, everyone forgetting moccasins or socks exist, the military being unable to figure out the sound thing which is helpfully! circled "WHAT IS THEIR WEAKNESS?" on a white board, why are they not always in the basement when at home, generators being loud as gently caress but they have lights and the monsters can still hear their minute movements, WHO THE gently caress HAMMERED THAT NAIL THERE AND WHY), but it is loving loaded with jump scares of people slamming their hands onto other's shoulders, against walls, etc. Like yes, these monsters can hear a pin drop so LET ME STARTLE THE poo poo OUT OF BOBBY TO REMIND HIM TO BE QUIET!

I have only seen that movie once and the whole time I was trying to reason with it. "But you said...? But you just established...? But why is the goddamn grain treated like quicksand at the beginning of the scene and now you're not sinking with the weight of a monster on top of you? Who the gently caress hammers a loving nail upwards into the dead middle of a loving stair?! WHY?!"

Still angry, evidently.

I liked the movie well enough, but that whiteboard is one of the dumbest/funniest things I've ever seen and there's a lingering shot of it in the 2nd movie that was also pretty funny.

Imagine if in Gremlins Billy busted out a chalkboard and just wrote GREMLINS - WHERE ARE THEY GETTING THEIR TINY CLOTHES??? And circled CLOTHES 3 times.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Scanned the thread but if nobody has recommended the del Toro produced 2007 film, the Orphanage, watch that. It's a legit beautiful ghost story that's spooky as hell.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

A Fancy Hat posted:

I liked the movie well enough, but that whiteboard is one of the dumbest/funniest things I've ever seen and there's a lingering shot of it in the 2nd movie that was also pretty funny.

Imagine if in Gremlins Billy busted out a chalkboard and just wrote GREMLINS - WHERE ARE THEY GETTING THEIR TINY CLOTHES??? And circled CLOTHES 3 times.

This is funny as hell and I'm sad it didn't happen.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

A Fancy Hat posted:

:lol:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Das Boo posted:

Still angry, evidently.

that loving nail, come on <:mad:>

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

bitterandtwisted posted:

Tigers are not Afraid mixes horror and fantasy

Other foreign language horrors I'd recommend:
The Devil's Backbone, another Del Toro
Raw, coming of age cannibal film
The Platform, Kafkaesque justice system
La Llorona, Guatemalan political horror

Raw is one of my favorite movies but I wouldn't consider it horror, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Enfys posted:

that loving nail, come on <:mad:>

Pictured: The same board I hammered a nail into the middle of when I was 6 and thought I was helping.