Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Deep Blue Sea is a whole lot of fun, with the most unexpected death I've ever seen.

Yeah that caught me off guard. It was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sad question
May 30, 2020

Deep Blue Sea was pretty good about zigging when you expected it to zag. Great main theme too.

Edit: Since we're talking about "people getting hassled by animals" genre Crawl was solid recentish movie about alligators who take advantage of a flood to gently caress up a town.

sad question fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 20, 2021

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I just remembered the movie Splinter, a pretty well done low budget creature horror flick from 2008. idk if its been mentioned itt yet but its a decent one that doesn't get talked about much, some good practical effects

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Hey someone probably suggested it already but Little Joe is an excellent slow burn horror film about evil genetically engineered flowers with some hilariously thick accents.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Jacob’s Ladder (1990)
Angel Heart (1987) - DeNiro and Mickey Rourke

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

A lot of people seem to really love the new Fear Street trilogy on Netflix, but I thought they were firmly "Okay". Some fun monster designs and a couple of good kills, but they didn't really stand out to me too much. That said, these would probably be really fun if you're just getting into horror movies.

I also just watched Burnt Offerings on Shudder. It's a pretty decent haunted house movie that relies more on weird stuff happening than ghosts popping up or whatever. It's also absolutely worth watching for Burgess Meredith, who plays the super creepy owner of the house and seems to be having a lot of fun with his role.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Fear Street Part 1... how many 1990's songs can you jam into one soundtrack...

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Traxis posted:

Just watched The Empty Man and it was really good, it's currently on HBO Max which I know you've all subbed to for Space Jam 2

Watched The Empty Man yesterday. It was decent. Some plot holes but since it's in Lovecraftian territory then anything can go I guess.

Why did no one ever hear of this movie? Because Disney bought Fox before it had a marketing campaign, and Fox didn't spend a lot of money or do a good job marketing it (they played it to look like Slenderman or something, isn't that what the kids like these days?). That and Covid-19.

Based on a comic book series of the same name.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Just watched The Empty Man.

Now scared to go to bed.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Enfys posted:

Now scared to go to bed.

I thought the vibes of that movie were great but it couldn't stick the landing at all

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Enfys posted:

Now scared to go to bed.

Just don't let a tulpa shoot you in the head and you'll be fine.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i had a fever once and put on Beyond the Black Rainbow. I fell asleep because it's a slow and trippy movie and also I had a fever. Something or other was happening in the movie and there was noise, but I was caught up in my fever dreams and I was sweating along with whatever was going on in the movie. Then the sound from the movie cuts out, and the silence woke me up and on the screen was a lady pressed against a wall near a window with a bloody bald head licking at the window scrambling to get in. Between that and whatever fever dream was going on I flipped the gently caress out and jumped out of bed and shut off the monitor and sound and I'm pretty sure i sweat that whole fever out right then and there within a minute or two.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Enfys posted:

Now scared to go to bed.

I watched the trailer first and it made it look like a late 90s/early 00s teens getting offed by the supernatural and/or someone that knew what they did last summer movie, so I tempered my expectations appropriately. I wasn't expecting an Angel Heart style supernatural detective story. It was a lot of fun!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Classics:
Nosferatu (1922 and 1979)
Vampyr (1932)
The Thing (1982)
Original Living Dead Trilogy
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Exorcist
The Exorcist 3 (jump scare done right)
The Shining
Alien

Modern:
Audition
The Decent
VVitch
Midsommar
Drag Me To Hell
Lords of Salem
The Reef

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
Speaking of sharks, I like creature features. What did everyone think of Crawl. I didn’t expect to like it because of the director, but it was well made.

Autechresaint fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Autechresaint posted:

Speaking of sharks, I like creature features. What did everyone think of Crawl. I didn’t expect to like it because of the director, but it was well made.

I really enjoyed this one; a fun setting, great main character, and the danger was realistic; it wasn't like the gator was teleporting all over the place or anything that seemed too unrealistic.

I would also recommend The Pool, a Thai movie where a couple gets trapped in a drained swimming pool where an alligator eventually shows up. The reason they end up trapped in the pool is a little dumb (the guy is repeatedly told the pool's gonna be drained, he decides that's a good time to grab a quick nap) but the movie was super tense and had some really creative bits with them trying to escape.