Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Second Creep is pretty dece too.

Edit: Now that I think about it 1408 was a pretty good King adaptation. The first half is genuinely great at building sense of dread but sadly I guess they wanted to make the second half exciting so it becomes very meh. Still not bad though.

sad question fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sad question
May 30, 2020

Talk of foreign horror films reminded me of Under The Shadow. It's about a family getting hassled by a djinn during Iranian war. It was pretty good. One of the movies where the anxiety of real world situation is as scary as supernatural.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Revins posted:

I always get Insidious and Sinister mixed up, due to similar titles
Sinister had a pretty cool premise but was over reliant on jump scares. I remember two that were so utterly shameless I kinda respected it.

sad question
May 30, 2020

magikid posted:

Honest question: what would the most shameless jump scare be? Really obvious and predictable, but it goes for it anyway? Or an ordinary peaceful scene that suddenly slams you out of nowhere? Because that one in The Ring, that was some poo poo.

I saw her face
That's a good question! I think that The Ring scare is pretty good, actually - its placement is justified in the scene since iirc a character is describing their trauma so a sudden flash of it makes sense.

As for what a shameless jump scare is, to me it's a mix of two factors: 1) putting it in a really obvious moment where everyone can see it coming and it's impossible that director doesn't realize that we know 2) making it even louder and in your face than an average jump scare, possibly in an effort to overcome the predictability by turning up intensity.

Sinister in particular has a couple that might as well show a countdown culminating with a guy jumping from off screen and yelling ooga booga booga. You can watch the ending jump scare on youtube - it's comical.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Deep Blue Sea was pretty good about zigging when you expected it to zag. Great main theme too.

Edit: Since we're talking about "people getting hassled by animals" genre Crawl was solid recentish movie about alligators who take advantage of a flood to gently caress up a town.

sad question fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 20, 2021