Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

brew is def a requirement but it also kind of... sucks...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
does anyone actually use macports??

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha lets name it brew, and we can have a whole little meme language of casks and mugs and use the beer emoji. nothin better than some cold suds after a long day of making pull requests. of course this is fine, alcoholics in recovery dont exist, they cant hurt you

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I use swift package manager

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

haha lets name it brew, and we can have a whole little meme language of casks and mugs and use the beer emoji. nothin better than some cold suds after a long day of making pull requests. of course this is fine, alcoholics in recovery dont exist, they cant hurt you

this is how i feel about all the java pun names in the 90's

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mediaphage posted:

it's way too much effort to try and use private ones imo

yeah and there was like 1 good one and its been gone for years now. vpn works fine

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Shaggar posted:

yeah and there was like 1 good one and its been gone for years now. vpn works fine

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Ansible Adams posted:

brew is def a requirement but it also kind of... sucks...?

it works pretty good for me?

and it’s totally a requirement. i wonder how much apple supports it because without it I for one would probably be a desktop linux idiot, there must be a few other dorks like me that feel the same

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

They actually hired the dude behind it at one point, but I guess it didn’t go well and he left pretty quickly.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
lol if you don't just
code:
xcode-select --install
then have Homebrew install everything automatically from the brewfile you keep in iCloud while you do other important things

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fortaleza posted:

They actually hired the dude behind it at one point, but I guess it didn’t go well and he left pretty quickly.

Did he get hired at apple? The only thing I remember about him was that he failed a google coding interview and then threw a huge fit about it online (lol).

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
foobar2000
firefox
telegram
discord
search everything
ableton live
obs
mpc-hc
soulseekqt
qbittorrent
autohotkey
dropbox

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

nix os
cabal

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
MacsBug
StuffIt! Expander
Malph
Network Time
Default Folder
Snitch
NetPresenz
BBEdit
Z-Term
HexEdit
Resorcerer
Macintosh Programmer’s Workshop
NiftyTelnet-SSH
MacTCP 2.1 (on a system without Open Transport)

and when running System 7.1 or earlier:

SuperClock!
Extension Manager

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
at one time you couldn’t just install “an” operating system and go

you installed a “primary” operating system and used that to generate the operating system that you would actually run day-to-day, with adjustments to tuning parameters and

for HP’s 16-bit minicomputer OS RTE-A, the System Generation and Installation Manual is 300+ pages and is only one of something like five manuals you need to absorb in order to do it both correctly and well

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Fortaleza posted:

I desperately want an NNTP gateway for the forums so I can use gnus for this too and shed this browserly coil

yesssssssss

hbag please where are you, we have a project for you

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Alright, I'm going to level with you guys. I installed linux too. I've got a lot of different projects so feel free to laff.

debian build-essentials
htop
screen
emacs w/o X
irssi
mocp
finch
mutt
cmake
everything that normally comes with python as a binary tarball.
code::blocks
build-deps for konsole (installs qt build profiles)
QT Creator
esp32-sdk, nrf-sdk, esp8266-sdk,
arm toolchain

I've got degenerate hobbies, because none of this stuff is for work.

how can you of all people not build and run SIMH directly from the repository

you can run SVR3 on an emulated 3B2

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

brew seems like a requirement on macOS. tmux and minicom are needfuls for any laptop you intend to do network admin poo poo on

nah, homebrew is just the latest hipster bandwagon

after using NEXTSTEP since 1997 I finally installed MacPorts late last year since it was the easiest way to get XQuartz native for M1

also why would you need minicom, just throw a terminal on that poo poo or use an old PortMaster as a console server

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

eschaton posted:

how can you of all people not build and run SIMH directly from the repository

you can run SVR3 on an emulated 3B2

I've only ever used the fanfic.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

eschaton posted:

yesssssssss

hbag please where are you, we have a project for you

whuh
i found this post in my daily "narcissistically searching the forums for my own username" thing

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

NNTP gateway for the forums

I wanna POST on somethingawful.shsc.yospos.turn.on.your.monitor

as I’m sure does rotor

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

time to try and figure out what the gently caress an nntp gateway is and how to set one up then i guess

e: no wait i should probably focus on yosbbs

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Zam Wesell posted:

foobar2000
firefox
telegram
discord

two of those are redundant :v:

Zam Wesell posted:

search everything

see i think the linux alternative is Angry Search but it's just so drat slow, needs to regen the database every time to be useful, just annoying all around

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hbag posted:

time to try and figure out what the gently caress an nntp gateway is and how to set one up then i guess

e: no wait i should probably focus on yosbbs

Nah, focus on YOSBBS. The idea I had in mind was querying the forums and returning a response in SMTP/POP3/Whatever formatting (Like, acting like an email server). It supports folders (kinda) and threads. Interact with SA like it's a mailing list / inbox or whatever.

That being said NNTP is a better idea tbh,

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 23, 2021

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

well i install homebrew. it's bad though. then i do the brewfile thing and that installs some stuff.

and then my dotfiles repo

then idk ableton i guess, and photoshop elements even though i dont really like it

and then have to gently caress with a bunch of audio bullshit like splice and native access and that sort of thing and it sucks real bad

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

GUIs:
Emacs
Kitty

Command-line programs:
fish
fzf
exa
ripgrep
fd

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i use sublime text for notes and stuff but it wants me to pay for another upgrade and i don't think i will

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i need to take the time to make my dofiles repo less lovely. half of my vim stuff was all hosed up last time i cloned it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Speaking of dotfiles, I recently discovered that gnu stow exists.

http://brandon.invergo.net/news/2012-05-26-using-gnu-stow-to-manage-your-dotfiles.html

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i am going to get back to work on yosbbs very soon btw
getting out of this weird poo poo i was in idk
so i should have more energy to do poo poo

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hello,

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i use rcm

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

stow rules

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
brew install cowsay ansible

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

miniconda, sumatrapdf, vscode, 7zip, Firefox, Vlc

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
When I install Win10 the first thing I install afterward is O&O Shutup10, to turn off a lot of annoying poo poo with one click

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is Ninite still ok to use for the purposes discussed ITT or are they bad now?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

My dad: Infranview, a thousand different pdf viewers, Firefox, and... Advanced System Care.

Seriously I've explained like ten times that he does not need it, that all it does is slow down the computer these days, and that it's probably running a bitcoin miner on his PC. But every time I uninstall it and explain this to him, he downloads it again some point in the future. :ughh:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

My mum uses Linux, which is a nice change of pace, so her installed software are:

Libreoffice, Nomacs, GIMP (Although rages so much at the machine when using it that she starts crying??), VirtualBox (for Microsoft PaintShop Pro 2002, which she loves)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

alexandriao posted:

My mum uses Linux, which is a nice change of pace, so her installed software are:

Libreoffice, Nomacs, GIMP (Although rages so much at the machine when using it that she starts crying??), VirtualBox (for Microsoft PaintShop Pro 2002, which she loves)

Hello? Based department?