Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
MacsBug
StuffIt! Expander
Malph
Network Time
Default Folder
Snitch
NetPresenz
BBEdit
Z-Term
HexEdit
Resorcerer
Macintosh Programmer’s Workshop
NiftyTelnet-SSH
MacTCP 2.1 (on a system without Open Transport)

and when running System 7.1 or earlier:

SuperClock!
Extension Manager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
at one time you couldn’t just install “an” operating system and go

you installed a “primary” operating system and used that to generate the operating system that you would actually run day-to-day, with adjustments to tuning parameters and

for HP’s 16-bit minicomputer OS RTE-A, the System Generation and Installation Manual is 300+ pages and is only one of something like five manuals you need to absorb in order to do it both correctly and well

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Fortaleza posted:

I desperately want an NNTP gateway for the forums so I can use gnus for this too and shed this browserly coil

yesssssssss

hbag please where are you, we have a project for you

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Alright, I'm going to level with you guys. I installed linux too. I've got a lot of different projects so feel free to laff.

debian build-essentials
htop
screen
emacs w/o X
irssi
mocp
finch
mutt
cmake
everything that normally comes with python as a binary tarball.
code::blocks
build-deps for konsole (installs qt build profiles)
QT Creator
esp32-sdk, nrf-sdk, esp8266-sdk,
arm toolchain

I've got degenerate hobbies, because none of this stuff is for work.

how can you of all people not build and run SIMH directly from the repository

you can run SVR3 on an emulated 3B2

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

brew seems like a requirement on macOS. tmux and minicom are needfuls for any laptop you intend to do network admin poo poo on

nah, homebrew is just the latest hipster bandwagon

after using NEXTSTEP since 1997 I finally installed MacPorts late last year since it was the easiest way to get XQuartz native for M1

also why would you need minicom, just throw a terminal on that poo poo or use an old PortMaster as a console server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

NNTP gateway for the forums

I wanna POST on somethingawful.shsc.yospos.turn.on.your.monitor

as I’m sure does rotor