Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Jonny 290 posted:

emacs lmfao

go post on a listserv

doom emacs best emacs :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Fortaleza posted:

I use the built-in news reader as the IMAP client for my email so I kinda do this whenever I reply to something.

emacs rules

also yeah, forgot iterm2 add that to the definitive list I posted earlier

poo poo now i want to write a forums wrapper to interact with it via email

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Emacs (doom emacs - had to compile from source on ubuntu to get vterm to work properly)

Firefox

Spotify (yeah, yeah i know)

GIMP

Audacity

imagemagick

VLC

Vim

mpv

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Zam Wesell posted:

foobar2000
firefox
telegram
discord

two of those are redundant :v:

Zam Wesell posted:

search everything

see i think the linux alternative is Angry Search but it's just so drat slow, needs to regen the database every time to be useful, just annoying all around

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hbag posted:

time to try and figure out what the gently caress an nntp gateway is and how to set one up then i guess

e: no wait i should probably focus on yosbbs

Nah, focus on YOSBBS. The idea I had in mind was querying the forums and returning a response in SMTP/POP3/Whatever formatting (Like, acting like an email server). It supports folders (kinda) and threads. Interact with SA like it's a mailing list / inbox or whatever.

That being said NNTP is a better idea tbh,

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 23, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

My dad: Infranview, a thousand different pdf viewers, Firefox, and... Advanced System Care.

Seriously I've explained like ten times that he does not need it, that all it does is slow down the computer these days, and that it's probably running a bitcoin miner on his PC. But every time I uninstall it and explain this to him, he downloads it again some point in the future. :ughh:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

My mum uses Linux, which is a nice change of pace, so her installed software are:

Libreoffice, Nomacs, GIMP (Although rages so much at the machine when using it that she starts crying??), VirtualBox (for Microsoft PaintShop Pro 2002, which she loves)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Agile Vector posted:

I spotted two different firewalls running my my dad's old laptop and suddenly realized that's why updates weren't installing. they kept tripping on either one because they were both set to 'maximum' and he denied every alert out of caution

Somehow this is still better than the alternatives lol