Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
tbh I don't think I have ever played another game that is so brought down by the both the story and the manner in which the game tells the story. I honestly don't understand how the game interrupting whatever you are doing at nine (9) separate occasions ever got past the planning stage. I really sucks to be flying a plane 2000 feet in the air only to be hit by a tranquilizer and have some guy talk at you for several minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phetz posted:

The Far Cry 5 story gets a ton of criticism, I can't remember if I've seen anybody praise it at all outside of maybe the first couple days post-release. What a loving mess.

Honestly I think it does a good job with community and people working to protect themselves. I truly think with at least an actual good ending, people wouldn’t have been annoyed. I do enjoy some of the characters and humor and just that feeling of The West.

Edit: ^okay yeah that part is done way too many times with the 9 forced captures.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I'm on my FC5 New Game+ and had been looking forward to playing that mission in Jacob's region where you have to rescue that Whitetail from the Grand View Hotel, switch out his brainwashing tape, and a huge number of peggies swarm in while The Vines' "Get Free" blasts over the loudspeaker. It was so much fun the first time I played the game, and I just finished another game (Control) that also features a wild "mow down 100 enemies while blasting rock music in a hotel" mission, so I was kinda hyped to do "Get Free" again.

Can you guess where this is going? Are you thinking, "...But then you hit the 10000 resistance point cap doing something else and had to do Jacob's final mission, and now 'Get Free' is no longer appearing in your mission log, am I right?"

You are right.

:negative:

I even kept track of my resistance points to make sure there was time to do this mission before it was too late, but somehow I went over the point cap anyway. gently caress, I'm so bummed out. Whoever came up with the resistance points idea, and whoever decided players can't manually save their games, are terrible people and I hope they get leg cramps in their sleep every night.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Phetz posted:

Oh yeah I fully expect that aspect to get handled as poorly as usual, though it would be interesting to see them try something. My suspicion is that they'll mostly just use the setting of a revolution in not-Cuba as a backdrop and flavor without much commentary besides something like "maybe both sides are bad."

yep cant wait for the final reveal where it turns out the scrappy guerillas you've been fighting for all this time are big bad drug dealers/human traffickers/the cia/the kgb/evil clowns from the clown planet

the map looks cool though. nice to see a proper city in far cry and lots of varied other areas too

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Rabbit Hill posted:

whoever decided players can't manually save their games, are terrible people and I hope they get leg cramps in their sleep every night.
Was there ever an explanation for every Ubisoft game not allowing you to save?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
hell yeah this is the good poo poo

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I want to like this, but I really don't know anything about it in terms of gameplay. Everything has really been about the story which I know will be awful and cringey because historically usually both sides ARE awful. But I guess they really want to play up Giancarlo Esposito.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

blackguy32 posted:

I want to like this, but I really don't know anything about it in terms of gameplay. Everything has really been about the story which I know will be awful and cringey because historically usually both sides ARE awful. But I guess they really want to play up Giancarlo Esposito.
Spoilers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq6zc4Z60P0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNuPlIlEJvc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJiVzbOQC-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlrMJe5X5cc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkcnj95Vm2E

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Less Spoilery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHeSXG2MGfc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOFl0dsyd_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5xh6C3dvU8

General Consensus: More of the same, if you like Far Cry this is more of the same with a few new gimmicks.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 6, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

But 2 was still the best because you were basically the villain and all the henchmen you fought had amazing dialogue where they just got more and more terrified of you as the game went on.

What great dialogue? The weird sped-up voice acting because they had to fit everything on an Xbox 360 DVD?

Far Cry 2 was an attempt at making the worst high-budget open world game, with as many annoyances as possible. Some people apparently were tricked into thinking a game that isn't fun to play is somehow "artistic" or something. Malaria, checkpoints, enemies haunting you across the whole map because you drove by them, then repairing your vehicle, the open world being nothing but a section of small corridors, gun jamming, no stealth system at all so everything ends in a shootout. Just infuriating at every corner.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 6, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

blackguy32 posted:

If it makes you feel better from the various spoilers I have seen. They actually don’t both sides it. President fring is portrayed as a hosed up reactionary who is basically the equivalent of if one of baristas kids. The main rebel leader is brutally honest that while the revolution may succeed, the first interim president will probably be dead within a couple months because of foreign coups and a probable civil war will happen because of counter insurgency. The rebels are portrayed as the group good guys and the ending while kinda sad is explicitly hopeful. It’s not far cry 4 or 5 in that way. Which is honestly nice and good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rockstar Massacre posted:

'apolitical' is the wrong word, the problem is that it's cowardly. there's tons of anti-authortarian overtones in Far Cry 5 and Watch Dogs, and to a degree in The Division (when it isn't being super lazy and pro-authoritarian instead) but those games also bend over backwards to not include the actual real-world attitudes, politics and policies that enable the grim worldstate they're using as a backdrop, so you get wild poo poo like the hacktivists in WD: Legion cooperating with loving section 5, who in real life are one hundred percent in favor of and directly work to ensure the kind of corporate extraterritory that Watch Dogs spends it's screen time raging against.

none of which is a problem when you abstract hard enough, but Ubi puts a huge amount of effort into keeping it's settings relatable... and then a huge amount of effort not talking about the real life details they're mining for content.

Weirdly enough watch dogs legion is pretty openly political in good ways. One of the villains is a technocratic fascist and another is the uks not homeland security. Plus lots of other stuff.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I like Ubisoft games so I’m excited for this

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Weirdly enough watch dogs legion is pretty openly political in good ways. One of the villains is a technocratic fascist and another is the uks not homeland security. Plus lots of other stuff.

And then they went and made a weird story about organ theft with that backdrop, which really doesn't seem relevant to the state of the UK surveillance state at all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

And then they went and made a weird story about organ theft with that backdrop, which really doesn't seem relevant to the state of the UK surveillance state at all.

I mean that’s a grift both the fascists and the big crime syndicate are working on. Because they are basically using undocumented immigrants and refugees as either livestock or a conscription pool.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not really. I don't think the UK government is secretly working on stealing immigrants' organs.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

That whole thing was extremely overblown in ghost recon, you could always headshot dudes, the levelling system was basically pointless.
I picked up Breakpoint after the first big patches, switched off gearscore and levelling right from the start and played with AI teammates, and had a great time - put in a stupid number of PS4 hours probably second only to Skyrim. And yes, headshots solve all problems.

Although the final fight against the Big Bad saw me get instantly shot by drones and reduced to one blim of health, hide around a corner to bandage myself up, then come back out just in time for my all-female POC team (gently caress you, former bigshot Ubi guy and your "straight white alpha male heroes only!" bullshit) to kill Walker without my firing a single round.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

Not really. I don't think the UK government is secretly working on stealing immigrants' organs.

I mean it’s a fictional cyberpunk hellworld still.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
apparently the respawn timers for small encounters in hostile zones are ridiculously short.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Able to play early with an Australia VPN.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

reviews are mixed but lean more positive then not, the biggest issues seem to be so far that its more of the same even if its probably the best that that same has been. so its basically the AC syndicate of the series.

also waypoint just quite after five hours and then bitched about it.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7e9q9/far-cry-6-is-creatively-and-morally-bankrupt

its from some dude who never even wrote reviews on the site and i guess he got bored and wanted clicks which i gave him. i usually like waypoint alot because they are critical but interesting
but lol wtf.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 6, 2021

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
i mean yeah, this game is very clearly "just more far cry" at this point and either you're bored of that formula or you're not

for what it's worth i'm planning on turning most of the hud off, taking it as slow as possible, and seeing if i can't force this game to be far cry 2 through sheer will of imagination

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Played like 3 hours now on NZ VPN. I was not a fan of 5, but big time fan of 3 and 4, and I'm liking 6 a lot. What few weapons I've unlocked feel better than the mushy-feeling far cry 5 weapons. Taking out outposts feels rewarding like 3 and 4 did, etc.

The setting is decent. Has some of the feeling of 3's island in terms of terrain, so not as good as 4, maybe, but still some good variety of hills and whatnot with lots of ziplines to zoom around with. The gator owns.

Again, I've only played like 3 hours, but there's enough meat in that little bit of time to really sink my teeth into.

e: oh, I should add that I usually like going the stealth archer route, and while I haven't gotten a bow, yet, they do give you a silenced MS16 with armor-piercing almost right away that you can kind of stealth archer around with, so that was a plus, for me.

Finster Dexter fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 6, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If you VPN into NZ once to decrypt, it'll keep working?

This timezoned unlock is stupid bullshit. Why do companies still do this?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Finster Dexter posted:

e: oh, I should add that I usually like going the stealth archer route, and while I haven't gotten a bow, yet, they do give you a silenced MS16 with armor-piercing almost right away that you can kind of stealth archer around with, so that was a plus, for me.
Long-range stealth is the Far Cry style I prefer, so I'm glad it's still option.

From what people have played so far, is the story any better than Far Cry 5? I kinda hated every NPC in that game, allied or enemy, and the storyline (and especially the ending) was really dumb even by Far Cry standards. Which is a shame, because FC5 was fun to actually play.

Edit: Oh jeeze, thought it was out for everyone already. The time zone thing is dumb as hell, just release it for everyone at the same time. Who cares?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ubisoft connect will not let you launch the game from a US connection even after you've unlocked/played it on Australia/NZ. Haven't tried switching connections after launching the game.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Great. Stuttering all over the place. This is a Zen+ Threadripper with a 3080 and 32GB of DDR4-3200.

Also, Denuvo EULA. So I'm blaming that.

--edit: Seems to reliably happen when just turning the camera around and I presume it has to load crap into VRAM. Settings say I'm only using half of it.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 6, 2021

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Combat Pretzel posted:

Great. Stuttering all over the place. This is a Zen+ Threadripper with a 3080 and 32GB of DDR4-3200.

--edit: Seems to reliably happen when just turning the camera around and I presume it has to load crap into VRAM. Settings say I'm only using half of it.

Was thinking about getting this but my TR1950x and GTX1070 are starting to show their age. If it's running poorly on a Zen+ Threadripper (guessing 2950x) and a 3080 that seems like either bad optimization or Denuvo tanking performance. Might have to skip this for a while.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, sound even cuts out. So it's something super-whacky going on. None of the CPU cores peak. And according to task manager, the GPU utilization at the very beginning from the roof top to down to the streets is maybe 10% average, at 4K with FSR Ultra enabled. The GPU usage is higher idling at the menu screen with typing this in the browser than playing the game so far.

This is loving stupid.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are you using the HD texture pack, maybe? In SkillUp's review he mentions he had issues with the HD texture pack tanking performance.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Combat Pretzel posted:

You don't have to stay connected, as long as you don't close the game. If you close the game, you will need to stay on the VPN in order to re-open the game (until it launches in your time zone).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Phetz posted:

Are you using the HD texture pack, maybe? In SkillUp's review he mentions he had issues with the HD texture pack tanking performance.
Nope.

Graphics settings to high, and FSR enabled. My graphics card only uses 7GB VRAM of 10GB right now and doesn't seem fazed at all by the game.

I'm on the starter island now, things appear better. We'll see what happens when I get back to the city section.

--edit: Spoke too soon. First machete kill, it stuttered.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Payndz posted:

Although the final fight against the Big Bad saw me get instantly shot by drones and reduced to one blim of health, hide around a corner to bandage myself up, then come back out just in time for my all-female POC team (gently caress you, former bigshot Ubi guy and your "straight white alpha male heroes only!" bullshit) to kill Walker without my firing a single round.

Hilariously, in Breakpoint it's possible to kill Walker in the intro, dead via headshot when you look down on him over the cliff. You even automatically complete his quest line on the spot and unlock his unique guns. It's pretty funny, IMHO. assuming they didn't patch it out.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
got the game to launch once but it crashed when starting a new game

now can't get it to launch at all :(

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

dracula vladdy AF posted:

tbh I don't think I have ever played another game that is so brought down by the both the story and the manner in which the game tells the story. I honestly don't understand how the game interrupting whatever you are doing at nine (9) separate occasions ever got past the planning stage. I really sucks to be flying a plane 2000 feet in the air only to be hit by a tranquilizer and have some guy talk at you for several minutes.

Getting tagged in the thigh with an arrow while inside a moving helicopter is more or less the reason I swore never to buy another Far Cry. This series just can't stay out of its own way

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

fuf posted:

got the game to launch once but it crashed when starting a new game

now can't get it to launch at all :(

restart fixed it

why do games still do 30fps cutscenes, it makes no sense

e: nope never mind it crashed again when I got to the island

fuf fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 6, 2021

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I’m launching via VPN and the game crashes about every 10 minutes. Not sure if it’s VPN related or what. Also Ubi +

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Kaddish posted:

I’m launching via VPN and the game crashes about every 10 minutes. Not sure if it’s VPN related or what. Also Ubi +

yeah I gave up, will try again tomorrow. I hope it's the VPN but that seems kind of unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

Played like 3 hours now on NZ VPN. I was not a fan of 5, but big time fan of 3 and 4, and I'm liking 6 a lot. What few weapons I've unlocked feel better than the mushy-feeling far cry 5 weapons. Taking out outposts feels rewarding like 3 and 4 did, etc.

The setting is decent. Has some of the feeling of 3's island in terms of terrain, so not as good as 4, maybe, but still some good variety of hills and whatnot with lots of ziplines to zoom around with. The gator owns.

Again, I've only played like 3 hours, but there's enough meat in that little bit of time to really sink my teeth into.

game looks kinda fun in reviews and I loved 3 and 4, but holy poo poo it looks like everything in the world gets tagged in your HUD. Is it possible to turn all the markers/tags/x-ray vision off?