Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The HD texture pack for FC6 says it requires 11GB of VRAM, is that bullshit or should I avoid it (3060ti, 8GB)? I'd be playing at 1440p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Should be fine at WQHD, but you can always turn it off again later if necessary.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks. Ubisoft+ is free for the month, if anybody else wants to try out some of their catalog. Should be enough time to get through a game or two.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

The HD texture pack for FC6 says it requires 11GB of VRAM, is that bullshit or should I avoid it (3060ti, 8GB)? I'd be playing at 1440p.

I have HD textures on but have 12GB of VRAM. In practice I see it using more like 6GB of VRAM, I think. I'm guessing the 11GB is if you turn on the adaptive resolution or whatever it's called - in Far Cry 5 that would make the game use way more VRAM. I haven't tried turning it on in Far Cry 6 because I have a pretty crazy powerful machine at this point.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anybody play with the Guerilla difficulty mode? I'm considering restarting with it (can't change mid-playthrough), since I only had a few hours in my PS5 save.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have HD textures on but have 12GB of VRAM. In practice I see it using more like 6GB of VRAM, I think. I'm guessing the 11GB is if you turn on the adaptive resolution or whatever it's called - in Far Cry 5 that would make the game use way more VRAM. I haven't tried turning it on in Far Cry 6 because I have a pretty crazy powerful machine at this point.
The ComputerBase review I was reading said that in 4k, performance was unplayable with the HD pack on 8 GB VRAM, and even with 10 GB it started seemingly alright but then dropped to single digit framerates quickly. 8 GB was apparently fine for 1440p and lower resolutions with the HD texture pack. I can't verify that because I only played the Xbox Sex version.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anybody get else crashes when taking screenshots?

e:also, 30fps cutscenes??

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 12, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

orcane posted:

The ComputerBase review I was reading said that in 4k, performance was unplayable with the HD pack on 8 GB VRAM, and even with 10 GB it started seemingly alright but then dropped to single digit framerates quickly. 8 GB was apparently fine for 1440p and lower resolutions with the HD texture pack. I can't verify that because I only played the Xbox Sex version.

Ah, yeah, I should've specified I was playing at 1440p.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What did people think of the skill tree being removed?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

The 11GB req isn't bullshit, though if you want to tinfoil hat it might be arbitrarily chosen to be exactly above the 10GB 3080 (in a game that only has FSR1.0 and quarter res raytracing). I tried to run it with my 3080 and performance was fine but it would fill the VRAM and then use the maximum LOD, tiny resolution textures on everything which looked like poo poo.

There's a mod that unpacks the HD pack and replaces the standard texture setting which I ran, which works perfectly for some reason. It's on the FC6 modding discord server, I don't know if it's publicly available because it's technically :files:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I honestly didn't even notice.

They did include skills you pick up, but they all just kind of lump in there and there aren't a poo poo-ton of them. That seems fine to me.

The biggest change I noticed was that in previous games the grenade launcher went in the sidearm slot, so I got used to always using that instead of a pistol, and that made more of a difference in my playstyle in 6 than anything else.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
What is everyone's favourite close range silenced weapon?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jippa posted:

What is everyone's favourite close range silenced weapon?

The Deagle or the SS-GP58 or whatever it is called.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rinkles posted:

I thought it was a downgrade.

I like playing dress up, but having to switch clothing every time I need to take a swim because they deliberately hosed it up so you need to, or having to choose between being able to do fun skill-based melee takedowns and not dying any time someone sneezes at you was just not good.

Having a protagonist we see in cutscenes and being able to dress them up - good. No skill tree - bad.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 13, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I was not a fan of having to constantly swap between multiple gear sets. Especially since there's no penalty to constant switching, so you're encouraged to constantly enter the menu and change your loadout. I end up not bothering most of the time, but it's still a drag on the gameplay.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah I spent far too much time in menus changing my gear and didn't touch 90% of the weapons and mods because they were too situational or straight bad (there's essentially no purpose to the 1-3 star weapons and most of the locked-mod uniques). Also I wore repair pants for most of the game because that's just too useful with how you're covered in a hail of bullets from all sides the moment you alert enemies while in a vehicle.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

They've at least since added loadouts for quicker switching. But there probably should have been a permanent way to unlock what were previously essentially QoL perks.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I set up the loadouts when they unlocked but after that I still constantly ran into situations where I didn't want that weapon of the loadout or this backpack for a minute and eventually stopped using them.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I had the 'main' loadout that I tweaked here and there all the time, depending on what weapon and backpack I needed, and a 'swimming' and a 'hunting' loadout, which I used a few times each.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The gear-based buffs are a bit of a pain to manage, but I found myself just using 2 sets of them 99% of the time so it is more like a toggle for me and not too bad. Stealthy see-through-walls assassin loadout and speedy cross-country runner loadout. I have one set up for poison resistance (since that is the only environmental thing that comes up with any frequency) and another set up to use the magic shoot-through-walls rifle, but those two rarely see any use.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

If you like tooling around in the lawnmower-copter (or for going on a rampage in a tank), the automatic repair gloves are indispensable.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Or was it gloves or pants? But yeah, either of those things :D

The tiny hovercopter was amazing, I cheesed a bunch of jumping puzzles for collectibles with it but yeah it takes about two small arms hits before it explodes. Later I grew fond of the flying car because flying car!, and while it's no helicopter you can land it on anything that's not a hand grenade with a tripwire. And it's classified as a land vehicle even if you're flying it so it actually uncovers the map. Ghost Recon Breakpoint did the same "if you're flying you're not re moving the fog of war" bullshit and I hate it so much.

orcane fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 13, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Flying car? Where is that?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think it’s a race reward, I don’t have it yet either

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

I think it’s a race reward, I don’t have it yet either

Ah, I haven't done many races because I frequently find them frustrating - same with the similar things they had in earlier games. I don't like it when a game seems to require me learning a pattern like an old-timey arcade machine.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You can scan it too, it spawns in certain resistance hideouts.

E: Okay it's a bit more elaborate. You need the camp upgrade "Hideout Network" at rank 2 somewhere to unlock permanent vehicle spawns in hideouts, then some of them will have the Angelito FW Turbo. It also spawns randomly at the Revmira Supply Dock in Madrugada or in Fort Estrella Del Norte in Valle de Oro. The race is in the south of El Este and you'll have to drive/fly the car for it, afterwards you can scan it.

The races were really easy IMO with 2-3 exceptions. There is an offroad race in a slow shitbox that barely adds enough time per checkpoint to reach the next one, I failed that one twice because the vehicle physics freaked out after jumps. The 2nd harder race is the circuit across the tank testing grounds, I had to equip "stealth" gear to prevent the tanks from spotting me, otherwise it's just RNG if they manage to hit and one-shot you. The other races were really generous with their checkpoint times.

orcane fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 14, 2022

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Can I find Dr. Yanny Dabolos and kill him to stop him ringing me in combat?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
He actually remains in that bar where you pick up the first quest from him, I didn't try killing him (you will also return to him after all his quests).

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

orcane posted:

He actually remains in that bar where you pick up the first quest from him, I didn't try killing him (you will also return to him after all his quests).

Thanks I will try and shank him.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

New game+ update just dropped and the Lost Between Worlds expansion releases Dec 6 for 20 bucks.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'll be honest, I'll be playing this mostly because I'm a simp for fem-Dani.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've been doing my low-key completionist thing and just finished the Collapse DLC a couple days ago. NG+ might be enough to make me run through the base game again.

Also

Megazver posted:

I'll be honest, I'll be playing this mostly because I'm a simp for fem-Dani.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Big ehhhhhh on that one

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Apparently they Trejo mission will be removed after December 16, it wasn't great but :cmon:

E: I'm not sure I want to replay this game in NG+, the plot really rubbed me the wrong way in 2/3 of the big areas (and especially the finale). All I wanted was clean up the map in peace with my flying car and upgraded arsenal after beating the story, except that was all ruined by the lovely insurgency mode. No I don't want to play FarCry 6 as a live service game, gently caress off Ubi.

orcane fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 30, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Because I'm an idiot I bought the new Lost Between Worlds DLC, and have been playing through it.

It is fine. Not great, not terrible, just fine. I'm probably like 60-70% of the way through it, and based on playtime I do think $20 is going to be overpriced.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

in case anyone found something that helped them: Is Far Cry 6 known to still be buggy? I'm getting quite a lot of crashes, and am considering getting a refund while I can.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

in case anyone found something that helped them: Is Far Cry 6 known to still be buggy? I'm getting quite a lot of crashes, and am considering getting a refund while I can.

It ran fine for me. Maybe try validating the game files? I've run it both native installed from Ubiconnect and streaming through GeForce Now and don't remember any crashes. Are you running any 3rd party antivirus? Up to date drivers?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i've verified files, and i think i'm on the latest game ready, no anti virus besides defender.

some posts recommend turning off overlays.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Because I'm an idiot I bought the new Lost Between Worlds DLC, and have been playing through it.

It is fine. Not great, not terrible, just fine. I'm probably like 60-70% of the way through it, and based on playtime I do think $20 is going to be overpriced.

it just looked too loving ugly and dumb and so i didnt bite. i am sick of ubisoft trying to do stupid rogue like shooter poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

God drat this mission (Sundown)

closest thing to "all you had to do was follow the drat train" in a while

after nteen tries I almost completed it, but the driver ai got us stuck in a ditch and then drove into a civilian atv blowing us up. I turned down the difficulty to story mode, cause gently caress that.

it may have been easier with better gear, but this the first base's questline, and there's no indication of a difficulty jump (sometimes multiple helicopters spawned).

fwiw, i haven't had a crash since I turned off the ubisoft overlay (I bought it on their store).