Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

reviews are mixed but lean more positive then not, the biggest issues seem to be so far that its more of the same even if its probably the best that that same has been. so its basically the AC syndicate of the series.

also waypoint just quite after five hours and then bitched about it.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7e9q9/far-cry-6-is-creatively-and-morally-bankrupt

its from some dude who never even wrote reviews on the site and i guess he got bored and wanted clicks which i gave him. i usually like waypoint alot because they are critical but interesting
but lol wtf.

This article is basically nothing but good points, I mean

quote:

This time out, Far Cry is leaning into Ubisoft’s burgeoning live service model. In previous games, players would gain ability and trait points to improve their character. In Far Cry 6, all character progression is tied to loot. Instead of the player learning new abilities they must earn them by buying gear from a vendor that grants them. So if a player wants to tailor their character to their playstyle, they need to find or buy the requisite gear to do so.

It’s a small change on the surface that has titanic consequences for the flow of the gameplay. In Far Cry 5, perk points unlocked as the player completed challenges. Kill enemies with melee weapons or get a certain amount of headshots, say, and you unlock points you spend to upgrade your character. In Far Cry 6 all those upgrades are tied to gear. There’s no challenges to complete, just boxes to find scattered across the island. Unless, of course, you want to buy some of the best possible gear from Ubisoft’s in-game store.
what a hatchet job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

fuf posted:

yeah I gave up, will try again tomorrow. I hope it's the VPN but that seems kind of unlikely.

Mine also has issues synchronizing cloud saves so yeah, hopefully just vpn related.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

toiletbrush posted:

game looks kinda fun in reviews and I loved 3 and 4, but holy poo poo it looks like everything in the world gets tagged in your HUD. Is it possible to turn all the markers/tags/x-ray vision off?

haven't played it yet but the hud is fully customiseable from what i've seen

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i generally like the mechanics of ubisoft style open worlds, but i hate the fact that they tend to take a long time over-explaining these mechanics to you, forcing you into tutorial missions, and in some of their most recent games (AC Valhalla) do not even let you turn poo poo all the way off and insist on having glowing bright "Press Button to Engage Mechanic, By the Way You Are Playing a Video Game Right Now, In Case You Forgot" signifiers all over the game world no matter what you do to your HUD in the settings

where does this game fall in those terms? i clicked on one of those gameplay walkthrough videos and it seemed to involve a lot of tedious explanation of How to Summon A Vehicle From A Menu and that was like part 3 so i'd been expecting the game to actually be like, going by that point. not a good sign

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 6, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

fuf posted:

yeah I gave up, will try again tomorrow. I hope it's the VPN but that seems kind of unlikely.
I have a similar suspicion, something network and DRM. I'll be able to check in half an hour. --edit: Over here ditching the VPN doesn't resolve my issues.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 6, 2021

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

This is pretty fun. Sure it's another one of those but I feel like playing one of those right now. Runs great on my 8700k and 2070S at 1440p. Not using hd textures but everything is at high.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

toiletbrush posted:

game looks kinda fun in reviews and I loved 3 and 4, but holy poo poo it looks like everything in the world gets tagged in your HUD. Is it possible to turn all the markers/tags/x-ray vision off?

Yeah, there's an option to turn off both npc highlighting and loot highlighting. There's still a small circle that appears if you can loot something. Also you can highlight npc's with your camera and they will have a marking above them like the old games. It's kind of cool because it gives you information about the enemy, like what guns they use and what they are weak against. You might be able to turn that off but I don't know.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Fired it up this morning. i7-10700k, 16GB Ram, RTX 2070, Windows 11 and running at 2440x1440. It defaulted to high detail settings and I've left it at that, ran the ingame benchmark, 67-87 FPS which is definitely in the desirable ranges. Default FoV is a little bleh but it is running pretty good, the only other tweaks I did was to disable motion blurring and turn off aim assist. I only had time to get as far as when you capture your first check point before I had to leave for work. From my hour and a bit I can say that the game felt good, the presentation was good and if you liked Far Cry 4/5 this is a pretty safe bet. If you didn't like 4/5 then this one isn't going change your mind.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Still crashing for me, connecting to UK now. Regarding the HD texture pack, who in the hell has 11GB of VRAM?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Kaddish posted:

Still crashing for me, connecting to UK now. Regarding the HD texture pack, who in the hell has 11GB of VRAM?
Anyone with an RTX 3060? ( But not the Ti )

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

ZombyDog posted:

Anyone with an RTX 3060? ( But not the Ti )

Ahhh, yeah I forgot those came with a weirdly large amount of RAM. My poor little 3070 only has 8.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

About an hour in and the game is running great on High on my 1070, seems really well optimised to me.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Earwicker posted:

where does this game fall in those terms? i clicked on one of those gameplay walkthrough videos and it seemed to involve a lot of tedious explanation of How to Summon A Vehicle From A Menu and that was like part 3 so i'd been expecting the game to actually be like, going by that point. not a good sign
The game will tell you to press the journal button if you want details about a new mechanic as you come across it, then the game will bring up those tutorial images you would have seen in the gameplay videos, so they're optional.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
How's the ammo system? That and the apparently limitless respawns when attacking outposts makes it seem less fun.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So it looks like a standard serving of Ubisoft Game, with ults and 15% more microtransactions?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kaddish posted:

The listed requirement for the HD texture pack seems to be bogus.

From this video, where you can see benchmarks using the HD texture pack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy5yz6BRJc8

Basically every card can use it fine at 1080p, and most can at 1440p. The 6800 XT using more than 8GB of VRAM doesn't mean having less will be a major problem. It just might require slightly more realtime asset loading and unloading. If you have an 8GB card then I don't think there's anything to worry about, and even a 6GB card will be fine at 1440p and under.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I love the music in this. The song that plays in one of the early missions is great. And later on, when I was riding my horse she was humming it to herself.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Basic Chunnel posted:

This article is basically nothing but good points, I mean

what a hatchet job

I’m finding that the vast majority of negative reviews tend to all run along the lines of “this multi gazillion dollar investment vehicle/consumer product did not make the nuanced, sensitive social commentary that some indie bullshit made by 5 people in a garage would have. -33/10”

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

oh word

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

It’s just more Far Cry. I can see why people are upset that they did literally nothing new at all but I’m having fun

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Ragingsheep posted:

How's the ammo system? That and the apparently limitless respawns when attacking outposts makes it seem less fun.

A couple hours in, the ammo system seems to incentivize thinking about the weapon mix you bring and which weapons you use on which enemies, but you can still drop guys with a headshot or two if they have a helmet, which is nice. Haven’t had the opportunity to use the other ammo types yet, but the mix of normal/soft target/armor piercing rounds has been fine.

As for the limitless spawns, I could be wrong but I believe that if you find and kill the “leader” of the outpost with the yellow icon, they’ll stop. Sort of like how they handled it in the new Wolfenstein games.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
As much as I find the endless lament by paid professionals that an open world shooter that took 7-8 figures to develop is not the definitive treatise on colonization hilarious, if that pressure can somehow result in a proper AAA Blood Dragon 2, keep on writing the hot takes.

bluetail
Jul 8, 2012
in fairness to reviewers these games do take themselves so goddamn self-serious at times and really posture at deeper themes in between the goofy poo poo, in every game you'll get lectured by the baddie about the nature of power and then five minutes later have to steal a wolf's penis or some poo poo, i personally find it really charming and hilarious that these super polished action games are built on such ham-fisted edgy teenager writing but i can see how if i was a kotaku writer asked to summarize the themes of far cry 5 it would break my brain

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

There's something weird with the HD textures. At times I'm getting better quality and at others I'm getting worse. I read somewhere else that instead of stuttering like it would normally do, it actually streams lower quality textures when you run out of vram? I'm sure more info will come out but I'm turning them off because it seems like the image quality is actually worse overall.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Put a few hours in. Its more Far Cry. If you like that(I do) then its something you prob wanna get.

The mission where you take down the two military ships was really cool and fun.
Also I guess I have a pre-order bonus or something cause I got a lot of blood dragon weapons/gimmicks and they just feel great.

*edit*

Also the level up system is gone yeah, cause they just basically give you everything out of the gate. Being able to shoot someone while ziplining is something you can do the second you find your first zipline, versus like 10 hours into the game once you have enough skill points.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Basically every card can use it fine at 1080p, and most can at 1440p.

Is there any point using the HD texture pack if not playing at 4k though?

I'm playing at 1440 on a 3080

I am kinda surprised by how bad the game looks - I always thought of far cry as a pretty next gen looking game but I guess it's really showing its age at this point

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

Oh I wasn’t just imagining it. Not that excited by it. Should be either bullet sponges or ongoing spawn waves. Not both.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 7, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

fuf posted:

I am kinda surprised by how bad the game looks - I always thought of far cry as a pretty next gen looking game but I guess it's really showing its age at this point

I thought Far Cry was kind of showing its age as far back as FC5. The paper mache foliage and plasticine human bodies kind of stick out like a sore thumb these days.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

fuf posted:

Yes. 4K will let you see the fine details from further away, but high-res texture packs still have their benefits for lower resolutions when it comes to things you'll be seeing up close.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Is the story still disjointed horseshit like Far Cry 5's? I don't expect much from videogame stories, especially not from ubisoft, but I got burned by FC5 taking what could have been a cathartic experience and pissing it all up the wall with ACTUALLY THE VILLAIN IS RIGHT!!!@

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

People need to finish the game first to answer you that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Songbearer posted:

Is the story still disjointed horseshit like Far Cry 5's? I don't expect much from videogame stories, especially not from ubisoft, but I got burned by FC5 taking what could have been a cathartic experience and pissing it all up the wall with ACTUALLY THE VILLAIN IS RIGHT!!!@

The SkillUp guy said the story is unobtrusive to the point of overcorrection, like Giancarlo Esposito doesn't even meet the protagonist until you're 60% of the way through the campaign.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Songbearer posted:

Everything I have heard, they kinda of drop all the twisty “moron first twist” poo poo. President fring is played pretty straight and realistically monstrous(for a far cry game) and while the rebels are a coalition of outcasts and dissidents, it doesn’t go the golden path direction.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm still on beginning island but it looks like this time around the signature/unique weapons aren't flat out better statwise than the base guns which has been the case since 3 if I remember. Now I can use a gun with mods/attachments and a paint job I like

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

A headshot really doesn't mean anything in this game, if the NPC level is higher.

--edit:
This game is unclear about what bases you can even take over. If I were to go by the older games, if there's a flag and alarm in the center of it, it's a base. I'm at that tobacco farm on the starter island, and whenever I budge too far away from the center, the snipers in the tower respawn. If they're not all cleared, the base doesn't transform. So I guess this isn't a base?

--edit:
Seems like spawns are generally weird. I started out in the middle of nowhere plinking a single guy of his horse, and now there's a huge body pile, because he keeps respawning immediately like 20m away.

--edit:
There's also a missed opportunity of not having poses/animations of your pets running shotgun. Who doesn't want an alligator copilot?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 7, 2021

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

The SkillUp guy said the story is unobtrusive to the point of overcorrection, like Giancarlo Esposito doesn't even meet the protagonist until you're 60% of the way through the campaign.

They literally meet about….5-7 minutes into the game, during the intro.

The part about the story being fairly unobtrusive is fair - it’s a little more like AC Valhalla where the regional stories are more up front, and the overarching story seems like it’s going to take a back seat until you go for the big guy.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 7, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Finished the game in just four hours apparently. :v:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You got the "secret" ending?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I just fired up the game for the first time, and I'm really impressed with the first-time menu they give you to tailor the gameplay experience. The entire client feels ultra responsive, and the game is buttery smooth on a 3080 + i7-8700K with High settings.

I did briefly turn on raytraced reflections, but I lost around 20FPS, and there is not currently a DLSS option.

edit: Hmm, getting the occasional skipped line of dialog, where there are captions displayed.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I thought Far Cry was kind of showing its age as far back as FC5. The paper mache foliage and plasticine human bodies kind of stick out like a sore thumb these days.

For all it's faults I really love Dunia (or whatever the current iteration is called) and I'm going to be so upset when they eventually convert Far Cry to the Watch Dogs engine or whatever.