Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Trustworthy posted:

Far Cry 2 had an amazing setting and tone, and I sure wish the series would have continued in that direction.

I've enjoyed the subsequent games, but I'm so sick of all the "wacky" cringe poo poo, from the first word out of Vaas's one-dimensional piehole to the last Bananarama CD fired from my Discos Locos.
I love 2, and go back to it every so often, but the dated visuals and gameplay irritations (malaria, checkpoints, etc) have started to become an issue. It's a shame, because for atmosphere it's the best of the series. It feels like a real place - a place you would not ever want to get stuck in real life, a corrupt, poverty-stricken hellhole where everyone hates each other and the few good people you encounter are almost as afraid of you as the people who are actively trying to murder them. And the whole immersive concept of 'you never leave the game world' with the map not doubling as a nice safe pause screen is fantastic.

3 was better as a game - slicker, more player-friendly - but started the trend of wacky NPCs and crazy missions (gee, another drug-induced hallucination, never saw that coming :rolleyes:) that only got sillier over time. I'll probably buy 6 because I love Cuba-style environments, but drat, there's some goofy-rear end stuff in the trailer. I just want a straight Cuban Revolution game where you get to be Castro loving things up for Batista, dammit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

That whole thing was extremely overblown in ghost recon, you could always headshot dudes, the levelling system was basically pointless.
I picked up Breakpoint after the first big patches, switched off gearscore and levelling right from the start and played with AI teammates, and had a great time - put in a stupid number of PS4 hours probably second only to Skyrim. And yes, headshots solve all problems.

Although the final fight against the Big Bad saw me get instantly shot by drones and reduced to one blim of health, hide around a corner to bandage myself up, then come back out just in time for my all-female POC team (gently caress you, former bigshot Ubi guy and your "straight white alpha male heroes only!" bullshit) to kill Walker without my firing a single round.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Been playing for a couple of evenings, and... it hasn't quite clicked for me yet? I think it's because the guns feel 'sloppy', for want of a better word, compared to previous games. (4 was the last I played.) Dani seems to be holding them at arm's length for ADS, and it makes it hard to aim accurately.

I'm still loving about on Tutorial Island, though, so maybe better guns turn up later.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Got off Training Island, then decided to go back there to see the bits I missed. Promptly got into a firefight at some small base north of the main fast-travel town. Ugh, how long before the guns actually become worth a drat? I'm pumping a dozen AP rounds into regular mooks and they're still standing as their health bar plinks down. Even the incendiary machine gun I got free with Ubi coins or whatever they are is pretty useless. Not having much fun at all with the gunplay, which is kind of a problem for a Far Cry game.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Changed my play style a bit and enjoyed the game a lot more - basically treating it more like Breakpoint and sneaking around checkpoints and bases to take out enemies one by one with headshots rather than my usual FC run-and-gun approach. Discovering that "Oh hey, I have dynamite?!?" added to the fun as well. Bye-bye, AA guns!

Still don't think the weapons do nearly enough damage, but now I've started accumulating resources I guess I'll upgrade them in time.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Guess I've got fully into the game now, I spent 10 real-world minutes driving a tank halfway across the map to my one current vehicle drop-off point, stopping twice to repair it when it just kinda... ground to a halt for no apparent reason. But I was determined, dammit!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Didn't know about the Danny Trejo mission until today, then when I got back into the game it popped up immediately, so wa-hey! So much violence in the name of tacos.

I've realised one of my favourite things is using the little VTOL to fly right up to AA guns at just above ground level so their radar can't see me, hop out and dynamite them. Shame the trick doesn't work when you approach the capital, though - RESTRICTED AIRSP[booooooom]

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I turned the difficulty down to Story Mode early on because I was constantly getting shredded while needing a dozen bullets to plink down one guy, then forgot I'd done so. Now that I've got the maxed-out Desert Eagle with 5x scope and can capture high-level bases with ease, should I put it back up again, or just enjoy my strolls around not-Cuba with my instant death gun?

Also, after the mission with the artist, can you find his wife again? Because there's another sicko deserving a bullet to the head.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I unwittingly triggered the 'go and assassinate Castillo' mission in the city and now can't seem to get out of it. Fast travel is disabled, even if I switch the mission being tracked it doesn't make any difference, and if I try to leave the city I get a 'Mission Failed' message and am dumped back at a city base. Is there any way to get back to aimlessly pissing about doing treasure hunts and liberating checkpoints? (The mission first appeared so relatively early in the game that I'm 100% certain Anton will escape, there will be a Major Plot Twist! and Dani will be betrayed, etc, which I can't be bothered with right now.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Payndz posted:

I unwittingly triggered the 'go and assassinate Castillo' mission in the city and now can't seem to get out of it. Fast travel is disabled, even if I switch the mission being tracked it doesn't make any difference, and if I try to leave the city I get a 'Mission Failed' message and am dumped back at a city base. Is there any way to get back to aimlessly pissing about doing treasure hunts and liberating checkpoints? (The mission first appeared so relatively early in the game that I'm 100% certain Anton will escape, there will be a Major Plot Twist! and Dani will be betrayed, etc, which I can't be bothered with right now.)
Reloaded the game after using the PS4 to watch a DVD and problem solved, I could fast travel again and do whatever I wanted. Just a glitch, then.

So now I know to stay well clear of that one base until I drat well want to go into a mission I know I'm not going to win (yeah, I looked up how many there are after it).

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

blackguy32 posted:

I liked 6 but some campaigns are way better than the others. The legends one was easily the best for me and the Maximas Matanzas was the worst. I have no idea why the game would make you put up with Bembe's poo poo.
Yup. I got to the end of that campaign and was looking forward to finally killing that rear end in a top hat, but nope, when you turn around at the end of the cutscene he's vanished. The game lets you choose whether or not to shoot the business guy, but not him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Yes, I would 100% buy a remake/update of FC2. Making it so that your choice of which mission you do for which faction has an ongoing impact on the story rather than the original's "do them all, it makes no difference" or FC4's "one choice decides your mission tree" would be fantastic.

Also make it so that you can burn everything and the trains work, please.