Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

nemesis_hub posted:

I haven’t played *any* of the Far Cry games, and the summer Steam sale seems like a good opportunity. Which games in the series are essential for a newcomer?

4 is The Best. Primal is an interesting twist on the formula. 3 is the one that started the new-style and is solid but slightly dated. 5 is technically competent but beginning to feel stale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So it looks like a standard serving of Ubisoft Game, with ults and 15% more microtransactions?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

As far as I'm concerned a 1-month subscription is the sale. I'm very unlikely to play it for more than a month.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I ruthlessly disable every depth-of-field motion-blur chromatic-aberration film-grain vignetting option I can lay my hands on, and it really pisses me off when it won't let me. My eyes are poo poo enough already in real life, why should I want to add all the flaws of a lensed camera on top?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OK this intro really isn't making sense. They're conscripting workers... except even when people co-operate they just shoot them anyway? What is this supposed to accomplish?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Every single death so far has been from falling.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DogsInSpace! posted:

I’m a complete dumbass and just now figured out how throwing weapons work tied to the backpack. I though the LB and RB was the only way to use it. I am slow sometimes and should stop smoking weed. I’ll look for that backpack. I’m getting more into this but this newbie island is loooooong. Wish I could just not wear a helmet but the game probably knows I need to irl and is trying to help.

There is a 'hide helmet' option.

Is it worth fitting out a LMG with blast rounds for antivehicle/antiaircraft duty, or should I give it AP rounds like everything else?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Biology facts: fascists can't see the colour blue.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You need some way of taking care of helicopters. That could be a machinegun.

The crossbow is effective, but you can't recover the harpoons meaning it has limited ammo.

Note that buying a Supremo backpack will also unlock a unique grenade type. Molotov for the rocket backpack, EMP for the emp backpack, etc.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Once you get your first Industrial Circuits bows are just obsolete. Anything they can do, a battle rifle can do better.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there any way to find a specific 'location name' other than zooming in to the maximum and scrolling around the map hoping to spot it?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What ammo do people favour for shotguns? The "shotgun shells" one that appears to be slugs apparently reduces damage by a ton? Should I install Buckshot, and how does that differ from the basic ammo?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Have other people found the planecar? It's pretty fun, even if I do have a tendency to crash into streetlights and explode.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ranks add new stuff to shops, not sure if they do anything else.

Remember that mods are shared within a category. If you've built a rifle silencer then you can put it on as many rifles as you like, but will need a seperate shotgun silencer.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If my silencer catches fire does that just mean my gun is noisy now?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

But I'm not taking any other penalties if it's overheating because I went loud?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

When Dani says you can't shoot this alarm what they mean is that you need to use armor-piercing bullets.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Is that actually true?

Yes. I have destroyed many armoured alarms with a single rifle shot.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You get people out of a tank by emping it then climbing on top and hitting 'hijack'.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Aliens pastiche was good.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

EMP grenades, the lightning gun, running behind it and shooting out the engine.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Given that these are WW2 tanks you should be able to disable them with a well-placed molotov, but that does not appear to be implemented.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The cantina lets you trade meat for buffs.
The tunnel network gives you a bunch of fast-travel points. Side benefit is getting all the security systems on military bases marked for you.
The garrison and barracks are shops. Side benefits are that the garrison means random blues in the region will be better armed, barracks gives a bonus to your bandidos operations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Aware posted:

er what do you do with the banditos, i see i can deploy them but nfi what it does

Once the timer is up you return to the noticeboard to run through a quick minigame. You can get materials, money and weapons.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Play posted:

Monero is the stuff you get from those special multiplayer missions? I haven't tried those yet.

I haven't seen any bandido missions that offer that stuff but maybe I wasn't looking too hard and thought they were standard materials. Usually I was just going for the peso missions because those are reasonably useful.

Thanks. Looks like if I keep playing I'll start coming across them, I'm only about halfway through the plantation area and El Este. I think I'm about level 9 or 10 or so

I haven't seen industrial circuits/polymer as the 'main reward', but they've come up a couple of times as a stage reward in a weirdly large quantity.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Annoyingly short range though.

On the plus side you can often reuse the chopper.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The limited range and low velocity of the lightning bolts means I have terrible trouble hitting helicopters.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Play posted:

Sometimes that does the job, but it often ends up getting hot eventually and then I often bring out my favorite weapon: the resolver hand shotgun with shield. I think it's called El Muro maybe. That thing owns because enemies literally cannot hurt you if you are facing them aimed.

Do you favour shot or slugs?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I haven't found a blooper or any other kind of HE weapon yet, so no EMP rounds yet for me, but can you hijack a tank after knocking it out with one?

If you can get a bow they're excellent EMPers. Now my AA weapon of choice.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Use a bow or machete to get undamaged meat. Or build and upgrade the hunting camp to get 2 undamaged meat per kill regardless of what weapon you used.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pelts do not exist.
Some types of meat and fish can be cooked for a buff lasting 1-6 hours depending on cantina level. Only one buff can be active at a time.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The big ammo crates (the ones you have to use manually) fully refill your ammo, including resolvers and gadgets.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Captain Duvel posted:

You have to jump on top of it and gives you the option, R3. Very short window imo and most the time it doesn't seem to pop up for me

You have to be looking directly at the drivers hatch.
There are two options. One hijacks the tank, one blows it up.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

At the very start of the game your heal has two charges. It never seems to recharge above one. Is there any way to get back to 'full'?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Has anyone found the MG42 or the MGL6? Are they from treasure hunts?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

btw the firework gun is extremely legit versus helicopters.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

So is there any real usage for medicine / fuel / metal after camp upgrades apart from bandido raids? I upgraded all of the camp buildings before I'd even finished the 1at region quest chain and was assuming there'd be some other resource sink.

All six buildings?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Designed for co-op but can be played SP.
I thought the gimmick was fun.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You should have a mission to go talk to each of the groups. Finishing the first mission in each chain unlocks that camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sounds like it would be very good for the Clavadora.