Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I've been replaying FC3 and FC4 recently. Woof, FC3 doesn't age very well. The story is still garbage, the side activities are flimsy and almost nothing, and the guns are pretty boring. The saving grace is the setting - running around Rook Island with just a handgun and bow and taking on random pirates can still be fun, but overall it feels very empty. And good god is Jason Brody just a douchebag.

FC4, on the other hand, has aged a lot better in my opinion. While Ajay is much more of a blank slate than Jason ever was, at least he's not a typical douchebro shitbag. The story is much more interesting and Pagan Min is a far more compelling villain than Hoyt could ever hope to be. The side activities are a lot more fun, I enjoy the collectible hunting more than FC3's statues, and the world feels much more alive.

Edit: Sabal is unintentionally hilarious. "I've got some evidence for you. And it's SOLID." The line reading is fantastic.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

punishedkissinger posted:

i still think 4 is the peak of the series

Back when 4 came out, I would have disagreed with you. Now that all these years have past, I agree with you to the extent that I've only played a little of 5, and none of 6. Blood Dragon was a fun gimmick, but only a few hours worth of fun. New Dawn is a blast, but it's pretty small and somehow feels less interesting even in the post-apoc setting that we get.

Edit: I think one of the things I enjoyed in FC3 was starting a new game and playing with only the guns I picked up from the ground or fallen enemies. Ammo had to be found in the wild. If I wanted some body armor, I'd have to go looking. I wouldn't do the final hunting challenges, so I had 3/4 upgrades for all of my gear. A survival type run. I can do that as well with FC4. I can't do that in New Dawn, with how the enemies 'level up' and get so much more health. Or at least it feels much more impossible to do it in a fun way.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 2, 2022