Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I love how if you run towards the sound of a full-fledge war it's just few people fighting a pack of mongooses... and losing. Half the jungle was on fire too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone on the PS5 having this weird texture glitch where some characters' exposed skin will fade into black and white texture as you move away? It happens every so often, somtimes in cutscenes, and it looks super weird.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Really not a fan of relegating all the perks you'd normally get from a tree to attaching them to gear. Coming from Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, it's a real step down of that system. In that game you don't have to wear the outfit in order to get the bonuses. I wish this game did that.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That I know but it's just means you're not getting a lot of different perks and bonuses. Changing your outfit for the situation is too much micromanagement for a dumb Far Cry game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there any trick to getting regular, undamaged material from animals or is it just random?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

lmao I just did the lighthouse drop mission where you get caught and get a bunch of your teeth ripped out :stare: and I was like, holy poo poo, this is a bit much, but then it was totally redeemed by Juan not even batting an eye and going "Oh yea lol, guerilla life, just chew with your front teeth like a rabbit :haw: "

Where does this happen? I have a severe reaction to anything involving teeth or nails extraction in any media so being primed for the skip button would be of great help.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I really like this game a ton. I have to echo that this is probably the best Far Cry game they've made but I have some problems outside of how skills are given. I really don't like how the UI disappears to let the areas announce themselves when you enter them. It's extremely intrusive and you can't really do anything until that nonsense disappears. I wish it was just something that popped up in the corner or top of the screen. The game is also really bad at tutorializing stuff. I did not realize that if I dropped on to an enemy I'd stealth kill them. They also need to tighten up the button prompts. Trying to loot containers or disable tripwires is a pain in the rear end because the game requires you to be in a certain, almost pixel perfect spot.

These are some of the things I don't like that can be fixed up. I just accepted that the skills and perks from gear is a fact of life and that's the game. I don't like it one bit but that's what they want to do.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

After putting an embarrassing amount of hours in just playing the game and mucking around, I want to post some things I don't like about it because if I post what I like about it the post will be far too long. This is probably the best Far Cry game they've made. It's supremely mindless in its action, its characters are fun, the MC is fantastic, it ties a lot of goodies to doing things in the world and it gives you enough toys to really approach any situation in at least a way you like. Now on to the bitching.

Firstly, I'm sorry, I don't like the skill system. I don't like having perks attached to gear. It's a pain in the rear end to change your gear for all the situations and even if they had loadouts it'd still be annoying. Going back to a skill tree is not the solution because it's been played out. What I think they should have done and tie the base building and story progression to these perks. It ties together the gameplay and story. You're building a revolution and no one person can do it all. It flies in the face of the Far Cry one-person-army power fantasy, but if you at least it'd show that in helping these camps and people makes you, and by extension the movement, stronger. It's like poetry, it rhymes!

Half-baked weapon customization. As far as I can tell, hollow point rounds are really worthless. They get stonewalled severely by people in armor and armor-piercing has no visible downsides. TTK is already really high so having a bullet type that makes killing fodder slightly easier but is utterly useless against heavier enemies is just... weird. I can appreciate having different styles of suppressors and whatnot but I've not come across any situation where my suppressor runs out. If I'm spotted, I just go ham. As far as I can tell, all of that is just a resource sink. These things should be just built once then you can use the lesser resources to customize their look. Speaking of resources...

The resources. Holy poo poo. This economy is as busted as my love life. So much garbage to pick up and after like hour five, all but the premium (circuits and I forgot the other), gunpowder and supremo-bond don't matter. To me, the best resource in the game is the vehicle parts because you get that by doing what the game does best - blowing up stuff. Specifically vehicles. Personally, I would have tied all the resources to the activities. More time going around taking bases and whatnot and less time running around holding Square to loot coils of metal and poo poo.

Enemy respawning. Far Cry 2 sat on that throne long enough, 6 had enough of its smug reign! I can't remember if the other games were this bad but goodness, walk 20 feet in one direction and you'll have a patrol or three pop up where you were.

The approach to this game seems to be "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks". Luckily a lot of stuff seems to stick but there's a bit that doesn't. Quite a bit of this stuff, including hunting and fishing, feel like things they put in there for the sake of things to do. The only fish or meat that has any real value are the ones that you trade to get those aforementioned late-game resources. I suppose the cantina could use those meats but I never felt the need to buff myself. I won't get into the story stuff much. It gives, albeit good, lipservice to the nature of the American dream and revolutions, at least thus far but it stresses the importance of one person's effort far too much - with the later it has to because it's a video game. I don't think it's some sort of take down of Cuba or whatever else very online communists stretch to make it about. The only point on that front I agree with them about is that Cuba does indeed have a promising drug that combat certain cancers so them having that be the thing that the regime is using slave labor and committing atrocities to make is kind of tone-deaf. As if we don't have enough conservative fear-mongering about Cuba that we need to feed into that narrative. I also (secret ending)didn't care for the secret ending. I thought it was cute and silly until you learn the revolution failed, implying that without the one single person it would have fallen to pieces. That just bothered me as someone who believes in collective effort over GREAT PEOPLE OF HISTORY snapping their fingers and changing society instantly.

Overall, game's great. None of those things, save the gear swapping, I mentioned really detract from my experience. They just stand out in an otherwise good game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The truck-tank one glitched out and the driver of one of the tanks got out and ran over by me, so it it only had one tank I had to avoid. That was probably the hardest race in the entire game and you don't get anything worthwhile from it. The race that rewards you with the best protection thing was a cakewalk by comparison.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

Also, the "Big Papi in Little Yara" story is still broken and doesn't trigger.

That's a bummer. I managed to do that one the other day and it's really dumb and great and you get the best shirt from it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are all the DLCs going to be you playing the villains or will there be story stuff too?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

BurritoJustice posted:

Yeah it's awesome, I've done the whole campaign twice in coop and had a blast. The operations are fun too

I'll second this. Having a second player really makes things a lot more fun. The combat can get kinda tedious but if you set goals for yourselves (like trying to do the whole thing with stealth or use only explosive weapons, ect.) you can have some serious fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's a fun game. Encounters become pretty samey quickly because a lot of the things you previously had to unlock are there from the word go but it has a lot of wacky characters, a great MC and some fun set-pieces. It's a great game to muck around in and find fun ways to amuse yourself.