Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
The new game looks really cool and I’m going to pet the poo poo out of my Amigos. Or try to, in Chicharron’s case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
New overview video of 6 in case anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYxmejMnR78

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah I fully expect that aspect to get handled as poorly as usual, though it would be interesting to see them try something. My suspicion is that they'll mostly just use the setting of a revolution in not-Cuba as a backdrop and flavor without much commentary besides something like "maybe both sides are bad."

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
The Far Cry 5 story gets a ton of criticism, I can't remember if I've seen anybody praise it at all outside of maybe the first couple days post-release. What a loving mess.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

Great. Stuttering all over the place. This is a Zen+ Threadripper with a 3080 and 32GB of DDR4-3200.

Also, Denuvo EULA. So I'm blaming that.

--edit: Seems to reliably happen when just turning the camera around and I presume it has to load crap into VRAM. Settings say I'm only using half of it.

Are you using the HD texture pack, maybe? In SkillUp's review he mentions he had issues with the HD texture pack tanking performance.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Ragingsheep posted:

How's the ammo system? That and the apparently limitless respawns when attacking outposts makes it seem less fun.

A couple hours in, the ammo system seems to incentivize thinking about the weapon mix you bring and which weapons you use on which enemies, but you can still drop guys with a headshot or two if they have a helmet, which is nice. Haven’t had the opportunity to use the other ammo types yet, but the mix of normal/soft target/armor piercing rounds has been fine.

As for the limitless spawns, I could be wrong but I believe that if you find and kill the “leader” of the outpost with the yellow icon, they’ll stop. Sort of like how they handled it in the new Wolfenstein games.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
Well I've found at least one major connection to FC5 so far by finding the Amigo dog Boom Boom, who is literally Boomer and is accompanied by a note stating that Hurk shipped him to Yara to live a better life which makes things all the more confusing. I also found a note from Huntley in the Libertad base.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
Yes, it's like the other ones

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
The bad guys from Far Cry 5 honestly aren't very MAGA besides being fascistic and vaguely christian. They're just kind of a bland, cult-flavored organization whose actions begin and end with Joseph Seed, who himself doesn't seem to have much of an ideology beyond his own sob story and a bunch of biblical rambling. There's very little to them, and the way they turn out in New Dawn is a lot more interesting.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
From what I can tell, certain backpacks come with specific throwables or “gadgets,” but you’ll be able to slot whatever gadget you want into whatever backpack you want to use (up to 4 gadgets to a backpack), and also unlock the gadgets you want with crafting materials. For example I unlocked the rocket launcher pack and the EMP pack, then ran the rocket launcher pack with molotovs, throwing knives, dynamite, then the EMP grenades I got from the EMP pack. You can slot in items from other packs, but you can’t run with every kind of gadget at all times like you used to.

One thing I didn’t pick up on watching all the prerelease stuff is just how much FC6 leans into crafting. You’re gathering materials in basically every location you visit, and pretty much everything from your weapons to your vehicles to your camps to your fishing rod requires materials to upgrade. You’re not crafting consumables, but stuff that used to just cost money in the previous games now needs materials you go and find in the world.

Phetz fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 9, 2021

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
The bribe-able soldiers should have that black diamond with an exclamation point icon over their heads, like the guerillas who tell you where to find AA guns and whatnot. As for the minimap, I think you turn it back on in the HUD settings.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It seems strange to me that you can disable the only alarm in a base and kill the commander, and you still get endless swarms of reinforcements including helicopter gunships. I thought doing those things was supposed to prevent that.

I thought so too, weird. Maybe if you get spotted in an area where you're trespassing, people just keep coming until you complete whatever the objective is or you leave? Or maybe it's tied to the Heat Meter thing?

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
You can solo those Lola missions for Monero as well. I played the mudslide one and it was fun! A nice take on the Expeditions from New Dawn, though I wish the game had shipped with more than two of them.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
I feel you, I don't do much multiplayer stuff either. You don't need friends or matchmaking at all as far as I can tell, you just pick the op you want to do and click solo play. I think you might get more Monero by doing them co-op, and they say the higher difficulties are geared toward co-op, but you can solo both missions and repeat them in the higher difficulties. It didn't even feel much like someone else was supposed to be there, it kind of felt like a self-contained, regular mission in some other exotic location.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
I wish they'd at least allow us to re-access the tutorial pop-ups via the menus or something. There were definitely tutorials I missed or just skimmed because I was in the middle of, you know, playing the game when they popped up.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
I'm a sucker for enemy infighting so I've been running a mainly poison-based build, and I've been using El Besito a lot. The primary fire isn't much to write home about, but the charged shot basically makes it shoot a wave of poison that berserks everybody in its path. It's a lot of fun.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
I think they do mention that he's terminally ill so maybe that was his way of going out in a blaze of glory or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

So does this game also have a second act super powers potion? Because I remember ND had that and that was a neat twist.

I guess I'm not entirely through the thing so I don't know for sure, but it's not looking like it. I wish it did or had equivalents though, that double jump in particular ruled.