Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I'd never played any Far Cry games before, but I downloaded Far Cry 5 a few days ago, and holy poo poo, this game is so fun and funny. I've never laughed out loud at a video game so much -- the dialogue, the acting, even the written notes and descriptions of weapons and vehicles are hilarious. It feels like everyone involved in making the game were having a blast.

Plus, it really captures the look and feel of Montana, at least the western and central parts of the state. (On a personal note, I lived in very rural southeastern MT in my 20s and now I'm in megalopolis hell in PA, and the game is both satisfying my nostalgia to go back to MT and making me pine for it even harder.)

I'd replay this endlessly if it weren't for those loving forced, timed obstacle courses in Jacob Seed's territory. I saved his territory for last, and now I'm on the fourth mission with him ("Only You"), and I've rage-quit so many times, goddamn. I hate timed missions, period, but having to do this same course 4 separate times is, well, torture. :rimshot:

Some reviews I saw were complaining that the game is too apolitical, and I've got to say, if you don't see digs at Trump/his followers/Republicans/right-wing gun nuts everywhere, uhhhhhhh....you're missing a lot, to put it nicely. Hurk Drubman Sr. talking about gerrymandering and discouraging people from voting in a mission called "Make Hope Great Again" -- come on, man. That's the most obvious example, but even the description of burned meat in your inventory is making fun of Trump. The digs are everywhere. Even Joseph Seed complains that "communities are being torn apart, walls are being erected"...like....come on.

This is a good article about the way the game portrays cults, too, and it links out to a great Buzzfeed News article about neo-Nazis taking over Whitefish, MT and the resistance movement against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Replying to add -- I finally beat Jacob's final timed obstacle course mission easily after simply muting the sound and relaxing a little. The burning hellscape after the course wasn't too bad (only died twice :v:) with some remote explosives and a good sniper rifle. If/when I replay this game, I'll start with his territory just to get this nonsense out of the way.

The "resistance points" mechanic is something that may have sounded good on paper (I guess it reduces the feeling of grinding, since you can get points by choosing your favorite type of mission/activity to do and ignoring others?), but it really puts a damper on things when you want to run around exploring and doing side missions, but you don't want to progress the story. (Especially if "progressing the story" = "once again you're kidnapped and forced into a frustrating timed mission" :argh:). Plus, running around exploring a territory after you've killed the Seed sibling isn't as fun, since you no longer have all those random encounters with civilians in trouble by the side of the road, who lead to more unmarked side missions. It felt like there were much fewer liberate outpost missions in Jacob's territory than the others and I'm wondering if it's because I killed him too early and cut myself off from those missions.

(Just want to say -- I understand how the concept of the timed missions with shorter and shorter times fits into the narrative of Jacob Seed programming you to be a better and better killer, and if this were a novel, I'd have no problem with this concept.....but as this concept was fleshed out as a game, I had no fun playing this out. I had negative fun, even.)

Anyway, overall the game was still fun, 8/10, will play again.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sammus posted:

Pick up Far Cry New Dawn when you're done. The Far Cry series is at it's best when things are going batshit insane.

Oh yeah, I started playing New Dawn this weekend and it's great so far. Pastor Jerome as a companion is a true delight. :3:

But back to Far Cry 5 for a moment... I finished it on Friday and chose the "resist" ending.

Okay, forgetting for a moment how skin-crawling it was to be playing as a female deputy and ending up trapped in a bunker alone with Joseph for years to come***, WTF was up with half of your friends being high on Bliss and turning against you? At least the nuclear attack was foreshadowed by the radio announcements -- was there a clue that your friends were in danger of being rounded up and drugged that I missed? That whole fight was irritating because it didn't make any sense to me why this was happening and it just felt stupid.

***And this is supposed to be the "good" ending?? At least Joseph doesn't say any creepy poo poo about wanting to repopulate the earth, I guess. :confuoot:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm on my FC5 New Game+ and had been looking forward to playing that mission in Jacob's region where you have to rescue that Whitetail from the Grand View Hotel, switch out his brainwashing tape, and a huge number of peggies swarm in while The Vines' "Get Free" blasts over the loudspeaker. It was so much fun the first time I played the game, and I just finished another game (Control) that also features a wild "mow down 100 enemies while blasting rock music in a hotel" mission, so I was kinda hyped to do "Get Free" again.

Can you guess where this is going? Are you thinking, "...But then you hit the 10000 resistance point cap doing something else and had to do Jacob's final mission, and now 'Get Free' is no longer appearing in your mission log, am I right?"

You are right.

:negative:

I even kept track of my resistance points to make sure there was time to do this mission before it was too late, but somehow I went over the point cap anyway. gently caress, I'm so bummed out. Whoever came up with the resistance points idea, and whoever decided players can't manually save their games, are terrible people and I hope they get leg cramps in their sleep every night.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so did that ever come out or what? my view of the ending of new dawn is the cult remenant and new hopers bury the hatchet espically after kylo renn son of joe gets his head knocked in and joe either eats a bat/burns to death or slinks away, after realizing that he had always been full of poo poo and he basicaly just rolled a 20 on luck that one time.
IIRC, you are correct....but I don't think that Joseph came to the conclusion that he had been full of poo poo the whole time? He really had heard (what he thought was) God's voice warning him of the end of the world. Or...poo poo, did I tune out during a cutscene or something? I have ADHD, so even though I actually really liked Joseph in FC5 and ND, maybe I missed this. And my experience of the end of ND was that he didn't so much slink away as the game just never speaking of him again after you refuse to kill him. (I refused to kill him because I didn't like how he basically decided on the spot that he needed to die and decided it was somehow *my* responsibility to kill him? Dude, either do it yourself or live; that's not my job.)

Anyway, I really liked the character, mostly because "Scary Preachers Who May or May Not Be Evil" is one of my favorite character types (hence my avatar). That poo poo is like catnip to me. It would be super awesome if the story surrounding them was really excellent and consistently written and they had a cohesive ideology, but for some reason, IME it's rare to find that level of quality when dealing with characters who aren't explicitly written to be priests/ministers/adherents of a specific real-life Christian denomination.

spider bethlehem posted:

Apparently the deal with 5 + all the Seed stuff is that the creative director for the game was actually born into the Children of God cult (same one as Rose McGowan) and actually wanted to make the cult the good guys. All the stuff about trump and white supremacy and political satire was opportunistically leveraging the conversation to get eyes on the game - you literally play a cop, after all. And in the end, he basically got what he wanted, Joseph is entirely correct about the outside world and the coming apocalypse. New Dawn even heavily implies that the New Eden faction are the ones who are actually doing the right thing instead of just recapitulating the mistakes of the past.
This is really interesting.