Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

For some reason I kinda want to play Far Cry Primal again. Maybe this time an Expert Survival mode playthrough, which I've never done. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Digital Osmosis posted:

I mean, they do though? Far Cry doesn't have a recurring story / metaplot like the Assassin's Creed games do but there is a recurring characters who absolutely mention stuff that went down in previous games-- the CIA dude, Huntley. It's like, a tiny and completely insignificant thing but Far Cries 3, 4, and 5 are quite clearly, according to the text, all set in the same world. I've got no problem ditching that, or being like "sure they are but the ending of 5 was dumb and never happened" but it's just not correct to say the games don't fit together.

Does anyone know what counts as a checkpoint in this game? I'm super unclear about what will give me a fast travel point if I murder everyone in it and what won't.

The surprising thing is that Clint Hocking recently came out and said that the antagonist of 2, The Jackal, is Jack Carver. The protagonist of Far Cry 1. The one with genetically enhanced supersoldier monkeys and is schlocky as all hell. Far Cry 2 is referenced numerous times in 4 and 5 especially.

The Far Cry universe is fuckin' weird and I think the less you try to take the games seriously and treat it as a weird acid trip murder vacation in parody land, the better your reaction to the games will be.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

There's no universe, just because they have some nods to the other games in each one doesn't mean they're doing any kind of "shared world" or continuing storyline. It's pretty obvious they're all independently written.

And Far Cry 1 and 2 weren't even by the same development studio, the continuation of Far Cry 1 is Crysis because Ubisoft owned the brand name.

I mean ultimately yeah, there's no direct continuation outside of a few returning characters and Hurk but I mean...

The Jackal's texture and model files in Far Cry 2 were literally named jackcarver even at release. Different developers or not, it was clearly an idea being bounced around during the development of 2.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

Yeah, but that's still primarily an easter egg more than anything else. It's not like it has any relevance to anything happening in FC2. And knowing this also doesn't inform us about what type of personality the "Jackal" is, because there's simply not much to the character of Jack Carver in Far Cry 1.

Sure there is. We know he's an idiot with awful fashion sense.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

It's unfortunately a pretty big step back from Odyssey in almost every way. I'm assuming Covid must have hampered production hard. It feels like something that would have come before Origins, with much of the improvements from the last two games missing.
Also no Kassandra.

Yeah Valhalla is just boring. It doesn't have the setting and charm of Origins and its player character Bayek, nor the roleplaying and sass of Odyssey and its player character Kassandra. Just frolicking around boring green fields, killing everything because stealth is even less necessary now and with an absolutely dour protagonist in Eivor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Source code for Far Cry 1 was leaked.

https://twitter.com/VinciusMedeiro6/status/1674890139879845888