Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

dracula vladdy AF posted:

tbh I don't think I have ever played another game that is so brought down by the both the story and the manner in which the game tells the story. I honestly don't understand how the game interrupting whatever you are doing at nine (9) separate occasions ever got past the planning stage. I really sucks to be flying a plane 2000 feet in the air only to be hit by a tranquilizer and have some guy talk at you for several minutes.

Getting tagged in the thigh with an arrow while inside a moving helicopter is more or less the reason I swore never to buy another Far Cry. This series just can't stay out of its own way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

reviews are mixed but lean more positive then not, the biggest issues seem to be so far that its more of the same even if its probably the best that that same has been. so its basically the AC syndicate of the series.

also waypoint just quite after five hours and then bitched about it.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7e9q9/far-cry-6-is-creatively-and-morally-bankrupt

its from some dude who never even wrote reviews on the site and i guess he got bored and wanted clicks which i gave him. i usually like waypoint alot because they are critical but interesting
but lol wtf.

This article is basically nothing but good points, I mean

quote:

This time out, Far Cry is leaning into Ubisoft’s burgeoning live service model. In previous games, players would gain ability and trait points to improve their character. In Far Cry 6, all character progression is tied to loot. Instead of the player learning new abilities they must earn them by buying gear from a vendor that grants them. So if a player wants to tailor their character to their playstyle, they need to find or buy the requisite gear to do so.

It’s a small change on the surface that has titanic consequences for the flow of the gameplay. In Far Cry 5, perk points unlocked as the player completed challenges. Kill enemies with melee weapons or get a certain amount of headshots, say, and you unlock points you spend to upgrade your character. In Far Cry 6 all those upgrades are tied to gear. There’s no challenges to complete, just boxes to find scattered across the island. Unless, of course, you want to buy some of the best possible gear from Ubisoft’s in-game store.
what a hatchet job

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Playing this at my brother's house and goddamn does having recently played DEATHLOOP make jump-mount restrictions in other games feel stupid. The south island (outpost Psi?) anti-air gun is not accessible from the ground, it feels like a set of invisible walls even when it isn't. though it appears you can glitch jump to the back of the base and its handful of basic materials. You have to fly a plane or helicopter over the restricted airspace and then glide / parachute down to the middle of the fort if you want to blow up the AA gun.

Presumably there's a mission that takes place there but... why place the AA gun there outside that context? I need my uranium.

Having gone through the tutorial island and seen how the game opens up and its mechanics work... It's weird, I really believed Far Cry was a Ubisoft flagship that got special attention and effort. It's not just that they didn't innovate any of the systems (beyond making map reveals more fetch quest-y, not really an upgrade from the towers), that's not something you can reasonably expect from Ubisoft. What I didn't anticipate was several of the systems actually devolving. I thought New Dawn struck a really good progression of just about everything - skills, guns, hunting and crafting, etc. Its alternate ammo system felt dynamic and useful. Here loadouts are far more restricted (and as has been said in this thread, there's no actual tactical reason to use anything but AP rounds) and ammo reserves are bitterly low. Later on in the game you can choose one type of ammo to carry a lil more of, but it's expensive and you endure an opportunity cost. You can't really Rambo in this game the way you ought to. If I'm going to play these pieces of poo poo I want to be Rambo, for gently caress's sake.

What FC6 feels like more than anything to me is Watch Dogs: Legion, which was a vertigo-inducing step down from Watch Dogs 2 - the budget was obviously cut in that sequel, characters given less focus, and the overgrown hacking system simplified so that any one character could do a handful of the things that were freely available all at once in WD2. Ostensibly this was done to make choice of who you use matter, but it was hard not to conclude that really, they just didn't have the time or budget to add new stuff, so the remixing served to make old stuff seem fresh.

FC6 feels like that - like a slimming down of something that didn't really need slimming, to the point where it just feels thin. The biggest swing for change is the equipment system, but it runs into the same problem that Cyberpunk 2077 had: tying combat systems to your dolly dress-up system makes the latter matter to the game more than a fashion statement mechanic should (apropos of nothing, "a bad Far Cry knockoff" was a pretty common take among people who didn't enjoy CP2077's gameplay) And then on top of that you've got the trickle of crafting supplies that totally aren't an incentive to spend real money and jump the breadline.

I do love Chicharron, though. That's silliness actually done well. Broken clocks, etc.

explosivo posted:

The graphics in this game are so goddamn crunchy, I feel like no matter what combination of settings I pick everything more than a couple hundred yards in front of me turns into a blurry jaggy mess.
I got all my settings to Ultra and Guapo's texture looks like a stretched jpeg. Honestly I think this game's visuals are worse than New Dawn's. And the character models are straight out of Alpha Protocol

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 9, 2021

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Seriously, you're going to let me have a goddamned Harpoon Gun and give me seven shots with the thing before I have to go find a big tub of ammo? gently caress you Ubisoft.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Grenade launchers make short work of helicopters. Otherwise you’ll just have to use your default Rocket backpack, just make sure you’ve mopped up any ground troops before you let it rip

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's dumb as gently caress but it also doesn't actually need iron sights aiming far as I can tell

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The GPL-6 or whatever the revolver launcher is called will straight up kill helicopters with EMP but I do enjoy how EMP arrows will make them gently land

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The core of Far Cry, and basically any competent RPG-lite after Bioshock, is a fun enough core gameplay loop paired with the accumulation of stuff (especially gameplay-changing things like new vehicles, guns, magic powers, etc). When one of the two stops it tends to grind the whole thing to a halt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

text editor posted:

Vaas DLC is next tuesday. It's a roguelike, apparently

Apparently it leaked early on Stadia so there are streams of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ebGyqkFsZ4

I'm pretty down on FC / Ubisoft but these are good experiments even if I doubt they'll be as good as like, Mooncrash