Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Rabbit Hill posted:

Oh yeah, I started playing New Dawn this weekend and it's great so far. Pastor Jerome as a companion is a true delight. :3:

But back to Far Cry 5 for a moment... I finished it on Friday and chose the "resist" ending.

Okay, forgetting for a moment how skin-crawling it was to be playing as a female deputy and ending up trapped in a bunker alone with Joseph for years to come***, WTF was up with half of your friends being high on Bliss and turning against you? At least the nuclear attack was foreshadowed by the radio announcements -- was there a clue that your friends were in danger of being rounded up and drugged that I missed? That whole fight was irritating because it didn't make any sense to me why this was happening and it just felt stupid.

***And this is supposed to be the "good" ending?? At least Joseph doesn't say any creepy poo poo about wanting to repopulate the earth, I guess. :confuoot:

The whole ending really bothered the hell out of me. I know that it's apparently alluded to in radios and such, but frankly I never wound up hearing anything like that (there's not a whole lot of reason to go out of your way to do so) so when it happened it felt arbitrary and kind of cheap. I remember people were calling it bold, but I thought it was just shocking for the sake of being shocking, it's not exactly thought-provoking or deep, it's just this big dumb twist ending that invalidates everything the player was doing before hand. And like you said, playing a female deputy during all this somehow makes it even worse.

I think part of the problem is that the game is actually pretty optimistic in a lot of respects, with the deputy going around Montana pushing back against hateful and reactionary forces to try and restore peace and a sense of community. But then here comes this downer ending, effectively saying "well I guess Seed wasn't ALL WRONG, huh??" and it's just so stupid.

I really enjoyed the game as I was moving through it, aside from the constantly being captured to do boring linear missions thing, but the ending really soured me on the whole thing. It's a real shame because the shooting finally felt good in a Far Cry game and the scenery was so well crafted, I wish they had come out with a mode for free roaming without having to deal with the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
tbh I don't think I have ever played another game that is so brought down by the both the story and the manner in which the game tells the story. I honestly don't understand how the game interrupting whatever you are doing at nine (9) separate occasions ever got past the planning stage. I really sucks to be flying a plane 2000 feet in the air only to be hit by a tranquilizer and have some guy talk at you for several minutes.