Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just finished Far Cry 5 today, and... yikes. It may have the dumbest story I've ever seen in any AAA game.

And that's not even taking into account the batshit (and worse, unsatisfying) ending. I'm fine with unhappy endings, but it didn't make any goddamned sense. I didn't pay attention to the radio (I guess?) and didn't know anything about the cult potentially having nukes. Or was that the US Army/National Guard nuking the cult? I still have no idea. And getting trapped in a bunker with Joseph -- as a female deputy -- for potentially years on end felt pretty gross. But hey, they like their torture and mind control and taking away player agency at every turn, so let's go all in!

I started keeping a count of how many times you get captured as part of the story. I believe it was nine. Nine times you get rounded up and captured, and every time you get to listen to a five-minute monologue from someone talking... very... slowly (with no way to skip dialog lines other than skipping the entire cutscene). Then each time you randomly escape or get rescued.

Sometimes it would even happen right in the middle of an in-progress mission.

I'd just finished Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey right before starting FC5, and I think those games spoiled me. While AC has its own issues, those games feel much more polished, and the dialog feels like you're in a natural conversation that's part of the story, rather than having an NPC stare into the camera and fire-hose exposition at you.

Anyway, my goal wasn't to come in here and poo poo all over the game. I've played all of the other main-line Far Cry games and enjoyed them all. I sincerely wanted to like FC5, and the gunplay and environments are quite fun. Grabbing a helicopter and clearing a roadblock or convoy, or sneaking into a compound and taking out the entire garrison undetected with your doggo buddy was a blast. I'm even tempted to go back and finish the side missions, since there are presumably no more cutscenes or extended dialog.

Just... That story. Jeeze. I can't be the only one, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Finster Dexter posted:

e: oh, I should add that I usually like going the stealth archer route, and while I haven't gotten a bow, yet, they do give you a silenced MS16 with armor-piercing almost right away that you can kind of stealth archer around with, so that was a plus, for me.
Long-range stealth is the Far Cry style I prefer, so I'm glad it's still option.

From what people have played so far, is the story any better than Far Cry 5? I kinda hated every NPC in that game, allied or enemy, and the storyline (and especially the ending) was really dumb even by Far Cry standards. Which is a shame, because FC5 was fun to actually play.

Edit: Oh jeeze, thought it was out for everyone already. The time zone thing is dumb as hell, just release it for everyone at the same time. Who cares?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Flesnolk posted:

I might've misread an earlier post that I thought said FC6 confirms 5 happened in its continuity, shows nuked SF, etc

I didn't really understand the FC5 ending.

This is probably because I'm dumb, but it may also be because the ending of FC5 was dumb.

Did the US government nuke the cultists, or did they nuke themselves as some kind of dead-man switch / "rapture"? I know the cult had possession of at least one US nuclear missile silo.

By that point I was so annoyed with the story that I didn't think too much about it and just uninstalled.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Fame Douglas posted:

The US was in some kind of conflict, with tensions ratcheting up more and more
Oh. Huh.

I never picked up on this, despite spending around 30 hours with the game. I'd read that there are some in-game radio broadcasts that allude to happenings in the world, but I guess I mentally tuned them out as unimportant.

Somehow I find that even more disappointing than my two theories.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Of course I've being weird and replaying Far Cry 5 for some reason. lol

I have a free month of Ubisoft+ or Connect+ or whatever it's called, and for some reason I started playing Far Cry New Dawn rather than FC6 (or Assassin's Creed Valhalla, which is the game on the service I was most excited about).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm about halfway through Far Cry New Dawn, and my god it's so much better than FC5. I could take or leave the antagonists, but overall the story is better, and so far I haven't felt shoved into the main plot line at random (and I've been captured/kidnapped exactly zero times so far!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I’m so weird. I’m on my way to beating FC5 again and then playing New Dawn. I haven’t had any desire to play FC6. I think it’s more that FC6 is a UbiConnect title and I’m just not into playing it on my pc vs couch console play. A part of me wonders if I just eventually get it on Series X if I’ll like it more.

I'm doing this too. I'll probably jump from New Dawn over to Assassin's Creed Valhalla before I get around to FC6. If nothing else, it'll give time for better FAQs to be created. :)