Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I just got to Insurgency Mode last night, so I guess I'm close to done with the game at this point. I'd say it was fine. Not great, but fine. Even with the edgelordy idiocy in the storyline of FC5 I think I enjoyed that game more, and I liked New Dawn aside from the racism. I think my fondest memories are of FC4, but I did like FC3. I think I actually liked Primal a little more than FC6, but those two are in the same general level of fine for me, I think.

One thing I noticed about FC6 that I don't recall being as much of a thing in earlier games was that the movement feels way less fluid than it should. Maybe coming from Cyberpunk 2077 influences how I feel about it, but it seems like ledge-climbing and general responsiveness are worse in FC6 than in earlier games. I think I've died more from my parachute not working than any other cause, and the way ledges work in FC6 just feels wrong and finicky - like it's way too easy to get too close to a ledge and not trigger the climbing response, or not be close enough and have it not trigger, or be slightly off center and have it not trigger. Weirdly enough, the ladder mechanics worked great, which probably made the ledge mechanics feel that much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

The HD texture pack for FC6 says it requires 11GB of VRAM, is that bullshit or should I avoid it (3060ti, 8GB)? I'd be playing at 1440p.

I have HD textures on but have 12GB of VRAM. In practice I see it using more like 6GB of VRAM, I think. I'm guessing the 11GB is if you turn on the adaptive resolution or whatever it's called - in Far Cry 5 that would make the game use way more VRAM. I haven't tried turning it on in Far Cry 6 because I have a pretty crazy powerful machine at this point.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

orcane posted:

The ComputerBase review I was reading said that in 4k, performance was unplayable with the HD pack on 8 GB VRAM, and even with 10 GB it started seemingly alright but then dropped to single digit framerates quickly. 8 GB was apparently fine for 1440p and lower resolutions with the HD texture pack. I can't verify that because I only played the Xbox Sex version.

Ah, yeah, I should've specified I was playing at 1440p.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

What did people think of the skill tree being removed?

I honestly didn't even notice.

They did include skills you pick up, but they all just kind of lump in there and there aren't a poo poo-ton of them. That seems fine to me.

The biggest change I noticed was that in previous games the grenade launcher went in the sidearm slot, so I got used to always using that instead of a pistol, and that made more of a difference in my playstyle in 6 than anything else.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jippa posted:

What is everyone's favourite close range silenced weapon?

The Deagle or the SS-GP58 or whatever it is called.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The gear-based buffs are a bit of a pain to manage, but I found myself just using 2 sets of them 99% of the time so it is more like a toggle for me and not too bad. Stealthy see-through-walls assassin loadout and speedy cross-country runner loadout. I have one set up for poison resistance (since that is the only environmental thing that comes up with any frequency) and another set up to use the magic shoot-through-walls rifle, but those two rarely see any use.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Flying car? Where is that?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

I think it’s a race reward, I don’t have it yet either

Ah, I haven't done many races because I frequently find them frustrating - same with the similar things they had in earlier games. I don't like it when a game seems to require me learning a pattern like an old-timey arcade machine.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've been doing my low-key completionist thing and just finished the Collapse DLC a couple days ago. NG+ might be enough to make me run through the base game again.

Also

Megazver posted:

I'll be honest, I'll be playing this mostly because I'm a simp for fem-Dani.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Because I'm an idiot I bought the new Lost Between Worlds DLC, and have been playing through it.

It is fine. Not great, not terrible, just fine. I'm probably like 60-70% of the way through it, and based on playtime I do think $20 is going to be overpriced.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

in case anyone found something that helped them: Is Far Cry 6 known to still be buggy? I'm getting quite a lot of crashes, and am considering getting a refund while I can.

It ran fine for me. Maybe try validating the game files? I've run it both native installed from Ubiconnect and streaming through GeForce Now and don't remember any crashes. Are you running any 3rd party antivirus? Up to date drivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Some of that does sound like the Far Cry 6 DLC, particularly the safehouse save thing. Since they finally fixed the bugs I got 100% achievements for both the base game and all the DLC, and I actually kind of liked the mechanics of the DLC.