Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kaddish posted:

Still crashing for me, connecting to UK now. Regarding the HD texture pack, who in the hell has 11GB of VRAM?

The listed requirement for the HD texture pack seems to be bogus.

From this video, where you can see benchmarks using the HD texture pack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy5yz6BRJc8

Basically every card can use it fine at 1080p, and most can at 1440p. The 6800 XT using more than 8GB of VRAM doesn't mean having less will be a major problem. It just might require slightly more realtime asset loading and unloading. If you have an 8GB card then I don't think there's anything to worry about, and even a 6GB card will be fine at 1440p and under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

fuf posted:

Is there any point using the HD texture pack if not playing at 4k though?

I'm playing at 1440 on a 3080

Yes. 4K will let you see the fine details from further away, but high-res texture packs still have their benefits for lower resolutions when it comes to things you'll be seeing up close.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This game didn't fix the biggest problem with Far Cry 5: Your pet still can't jump into vehicles with you. No car rides with Guapo. 0/10.

I'm also really disliking all the writing so far. The dialogue is loving awful. The way they're mixing the self-aware humor and serious tone of the story just doesn't work. And the whole "We're a guerilla movement fighting against bad guys doing... bad things. Yeah!" with no ideology or material conditions being addressed comes off as very cartoonish, which would be fine if the game wasn't trying to take itself so seriously most of the time (self-aware quips aside).

All the eye-rolling aside, the game itself seems fine. It's more Far Cry, all right. I'll keep playing it until I get bored of it (thank goodness for Ubisoft+ not making me pay full price for this game). I do enjoy how utterly stupid the world is. The traffic AI remains brain dead, plowing through everything in their way without a care in the world, while nearby NPCs refuse to give a gently caress about anything going on around them. And I honestly wouldn't have it any other way. You just have to put the tonal dissonance out of mind and embrace the chaos.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 8, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Plus you'll get a week of Riders Republic!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

i'm still mad that in the three and a half years since fc5 they never figured out how to let your pets ride in the car with you

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've been playing at 1440p ultra settings with the HD texture pack, and there's been no major performance problems or any bad-looking textures. The biggest issue is an under-utilization of both my CPU (5600x) and GPU (3080 ti). The game doesn't seem programmed to push high-end hardware very hard. I don't remember how FC5 looked and I don't have it installed, so I can't speak to how this compares to that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

explosivo posted:

My issue isn't with the textures themselves, it's like the AA or texture filtering or something.

I'm doing this mission where you have to burn the plants and I was standing here looking at the fields changing settings around to see if I could make that stuff look clearer and it always looks like a weird jaggedy mess. Maybe it's unrealistic expectations because I'm also playing Red Dead 2 with DLSS where you can see clear across the plains to spot a deer hiding in the brush but I need to mess around with the settings some more I guess.

TAA + CAS looks reasonably good to my eyes, though there's still a weird jumble of clarity and blurriness with this game. Digital Foundry uploaded their tech analysis today, and they found that a lot of special effects are rendered at a quarter resolution, which might be contributing to that odd mixed look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WghfGVJ5AaI

Also, I recommend that people looking for a bit of extra performance turn on FidelityFX Super Resolution. FC6 has what might be the best FSR implementation so far. FSR is usually considered DLSS's uglier step sibling, but Ultra Quality FSR might actually look better than native resolution with TAA and no CAS in this title. (at least at 1440p and 4K.) It may also assist in reducing VRAM usage if you're hitting the cap with your card, since lower source render res = lower vram usage. Even if you're not using FSR though, you should turn on CAS. It helps a lot in combating the blurriness that TAA generates.

(in case people don't know what these weirdly named settings are, FidelityFX Super Resolution is a technique that turns a lower-res image into a higher-res one, to give you better frame rates over running at native resolution. It looks surprisingly good in this game. It has both an upscaling algorithm and an image sharpening algorithm. CAS is just image sharpening on its own.)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 9, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sorta. the regime is uber nationalistic and fascistic and there are alot of various nods to various stupid insane right wing dictatorships in the past, including one of my favorite "endtime hitler" stories which you will know when you see, meanwhile the rebels are made up of different brushstroke progressive and lefty thought. the rebels plan is basicly, toss president fring and then go from there. its definitely less cynical then 4 and 5 and obviously way less then three. like dont go in expecting disco Elysium depth of political criticism (some critics seem to think that apparently) but its not "actually the rebels are just as bad" poo poo.

It's all still just cartoonish caricatures though, both for the dictatorship and the rebels. I don't really mind that, except it's super jarring when Ubisoft is trying to tell such a serious story with these cartoonish elements as a backdrop.

They should either drop the cartoonish depictions of LatAm guerrillas and go full grit, or go full Just Cause instead and drop any pretenses about this being a serious story (which is what I think they should do)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

The flamethrower seemed to have two modes. If your not ads’ing it’s kind of a wide spray but very close range. If you ads it turns into a mid range fire squirter (my nickname in high school).

Can I just say the haptic triggers on PS5 are incredible? I didn’t know the resistance in them could go that high. Flying a junk helicopter around or driving a crappy car is just.. it’s so legit. TLOU2 really definitively nailed the haptic effect of riding a horse and this is like 6/10 that. Kinda my only sadness is the horse riding doesn’t feel like TLOU2 riding. Seriously if any of you haven’t used haptic PS5 controllers, or played TLOU2 or my god Returnal.. you’re really missing out on prob one of the best advances in games this decade.

The PC version is also compatible with the PS5 controller, and it works with full adaptive trigger functionality. And it does indeed feel awesome. I still prefer playing with a keyboard and mouse, but the PS5 controller support is so good that it's making me want to switch over.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

What's the support for ps5 controllers on pc like in general? I'm still playing with my busted old 360 controller.

Only new multiplatform games support it out of the box so far. For all other games, it won't be recognized. That's where DS4Windows comes in, though. DS4Windows now works with PS5 controllers, and you can have it either emulate a 360 controller or a PS4 controller (the point of the latter would be for games that support PS4 controllers out of the box, so you can keep the playstation button prompts and the touch pad support if there is any). With that software, it works with basically anything made in the last 15 years.*

*please don't blame me if you find some random game that doesn't actually work with it lol

Honestly, I would recommend one if you're looking for a new gamepad. The haptic feedback stuff is great in games that support it, and DS4Windows lets it work with everything else with only a little configuration tinkering involved. You could also get a series x controller, and I'm pretty sure that would actually just work with everything with zero tinkering involved, but you miss out on the adaptive triggers and poo poo. Plus I just like the playstation controller layout better, but it may take time to get used to if you've been using an xbox controller all these years.

edit: Steam also supports the PS5 controller and will default to doing xbox gamepad emulation for any game you launch through it. You may actually need to manually disable that behavior on a per-game basis if you want the game to recognize your controller as a ps5 controller. I had to disable it to get the adaptive triggers to work in Deathloop, for example. (You just go to the game properties in steam, and disable "steam input" in the controller tab.) I don't think Steam does PS4 controller emulation, though. Which means if you're playing a game that natively recognizes the dual shock 4 but not the dual sense, Steam will only present it to that game as an xbox controller. DS4Windows is capable of presenting it as a dual shock 4, which means you'll still get playstation button prompts. Honestly I just tell Steam to ignore my ps5 controller and let DS4Windows handle everything. It works with everything on and off of steam and is just better.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 11, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It seems strange to me that you can disable the only alarm in a base and kill the commander, and you still get endless swarms of reinforcements including helicopter gunships. I thought doing those things was supposed to prevent that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I appreciate that they created the various in-world maps you see in the far cry 2 style, complete with the round white icons for things.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I have definitely had enemies materialize out of thin air right next to me while on missions, such as that resort island you storm with the montero girl. They also respawn pretty aggressively in the open world in the restricted areas that aren't capturable bases

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

As Nero Danced posted:

I had a stream of soldiers popping out of a door on one of the boats you have to attack when you leave the first island, it eventually stopped after the third respawn

Those boats have alarms, so I can understand that. At least they're coming from somewhere, and there's a reason for it. What I'm talking about is no alarms, no active enemy contact, but then a bunch of enemies will literally materialize out of thin air, not even come from somewhere, because the game determined that this is a zone enemies should be patrolling in, and it doesn't care that the player is nearby.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Why are the textures in this game so horrible lol. I'm playing on a 3080 with everything on Ultra and some of these materials and flames are like sub-PS3 quality, that's with all the HD texture stuff installed. Can this be fixed at all?

Fire, as well as most special effects, only render at quarter resolution, so it looks super pixelated and janky.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

toggle posted:

Do soliders not drop ammo/guns any more? I haven't played since Far Cry 3 and I kinda miss the searching of corpses

They sometimes drop ammo. You get it just by walking over them, no interaction needed. You cannot loot their guns.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

Does FidelityFX Super Res do anything on Nvidia cards? I have mine on Ultra Quality and the in game benchmark shows virtually no difference.

What card, and at what output resolution? Nvidia cards see slightly less benefit due to having less FP16 performance than AMD cards or something like that, but the only reason I can think of for seeing no performance gain is if you’re cpu bottlenecked, which is common in this game due to how poorly multithreaded it is.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

3080 + R7 8700X @ 1440p.

You mean 3700X, I assume. And yeah, that looks about right. If you turn down the resolution scale, you’d probably see very little gain from that, too. This game engine likes to hit one core of the cpu hard, and everything else has to slow down to match it. The 3080 should be doing well over 60 anyway. I would just turn on CAS instead and forget about trying to get even higher frame rates with FSR.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

bluetail posted:

I'm starting to really appreciate the fact that you don't have to walk over and loot every body like in previous games, I think deathloop does a similarly good job of de-emphasizing looting bodies cause it turns out spending half the game looking down at the ground isn't actually that fun

I do kinda miss picking up enemy guns cause it adds to the "improvise and adapt" feel but I still prefer the way FC6 does it cause the ground isn't littered with extra bullshit to distract you

It still encourages you to spend way too much time picking up the dozen fuel canisters and spools of wire littered across every base, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Play posted:

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned that I really like about this game: it's very playable on controller and almost too easy with m+kb. I can't stand m+kb so I like the balance they managed to strike with that.

I am not a frequent FPS player, and I'm finding clicking heads to be very easy with kb+m, indeed. One weird thing I've noticed is that helipcopter controls seem weirdly limited with KB+M. You yaw much more quickly with a joystick than with a mouse, and for whatever reason, you seem to have a more limited pitch range with a mouse when compared to a joystick. I can't seem to aim down enough for ground attack with a mouse but it's possible with a joystick. It pitch movement also seems to snap back some when you stop moving your mouse. It's very annoying and poorly implemented. You need a controller available just for helicopters, it seems like.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 19, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sipher posted:

Speaking of snipers, they don't seem worth the effort. Why deal with slow reloads and bullet drop when my silenced single-shot AR also kills dudes in one headshot?

I have not experienced any noticeable bullet drop on any of the sniper rifles when paired with AP ammo, even at very long ranges. Are you comparing an AR with AP ammo to a sniper rifle with regular ammo?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

You can also get gear that reduces weapon sway which makes it trivial to click on heads even while scoped in and moving.

This is what I'm doing. I have an SVD with AP ammo, and two pieces of gear that reduce weapon sway. My sights are perfectly still at all times, even without holding my breath. Clicking heads is the easiest thing in the world, and the SVD has fairly quick follow-up potential.

edit: also it's a loving SVD, I mean c'mon. How can you not?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

This treasure hunt involving following a bird around is incredibly annoying. The bird keeps getting killed by soldiers!

This happened to me on my first attempt. On my second attempt, it sorta "flew" around in circles an inch above the ground for a few minutes at the first waypoint before taking off and heading to where it's supposed to go. The rest of that hunt went as it was supposed to, thankfully.

Just Ubisoft things.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Does the massive loving cat I just killed count as supernatural? That thing stood like 5 feet tall at the shoulders.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There is next to zero difference between RTX on and off for 99% of the scenes in this game. Only rarely, when there's puddles on the ground after a rain, do the reflections get slightly better. It's a very small difference though. The shadows are the same both on and off, just ever so slightly softer with RT on, and only when it comes to sun shadows. There are parts where the shadows actually degrade in quality with RT on though. It's such a laughably bad implementation.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sedisp posted:

Problem with this kinda wishy-washy messaging is your fans are very stupid.

From that linked wiki

That damned evil dictator Fidel overthrowing poor Batista

He is very explicitly not a reference to Castro, lmao. In Yara's backstory, there was a prior revolution in the '50s/'60s that resulted in an unnamed form of government (but you can guess they were the communists) that itself eventually got overthrown. Democracy or something happened at some point I guess, and everyone voted in Espinosa, who is the bad president who does bad things. He's called a dictator, but he was literally voted in (Dani mentions voting for him?) and it's not clear how long he's been in power for.

FC6 is what happens when you try to tell a political story while attempting to avoid politics and ideology at all costs. The story is an awful mess best left ignored.

edit: I think I got the names wrong which makes this post kinda dumb but whatever.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 26, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anyone else getting a black screen in the PC version after updating? It was perfectly fine before it, but after updating it launches into a black screen and fails to get any further.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Play posted:

what does this mean and how is it done

Go into ubisoft connect, click on the game (not play), click "properties", and where it says "Local Files" click "Verify files." It will run for around 15 minutes or so, say that some files are corrupted, and start up a 12GB download. This is what I did and it worked.

Since you redownloaded the whole thing already, you probably don't have to do this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Extortionist posted:

Overall, I don't regret paying for and immediately canceling the $16 subscription to play it.

Same, though I do regret forgetting to cancel the subscription and having to pay for a second month.

Oh well. Maybe I'll play Riders Republic some, even though FH5 clowns on it hard.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 1650 actually performs worse than the 970 in most games. I'm sorry, but that was not an upgrade unless you got the Super version, which does perform just slightly better.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I was not a fan of having to constantly swap between multiple gear sets. Especially since there's no penalty to constant switching, so you're encouraged to constantly enter the menu and change your loadout. I end up not bothering most of the time, but it's still a drag on the gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Well I just finished the game. It took me a while (over a year and a half, I think?) because I wanted to get 100% on everything, like I did with all the other FC’s. I was pretty annoyed by the ending and felt that they could have gone in a better direction, but overall I really enjoyed Yara.

Here’s hoping 7 (or an in between game?) will be coming soon.

Avatar basically looks like a Far Cry game in licensed PG-13 game form, so there's that. It's an open-world first person shooter with outposts and all that stuff. If nothing else, it looks very pretty.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=difL_diHo2o

skip to three minutes in. super far-cry-esque

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 25, 2023