Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Do we know if Darkoath will get some more stuff outside of the release box? Assume characters and maybe another monster? Not sure if there's rumours for this or what. I saw the new monstrous mount chaos lord but I'm interested in the shirtless scrappers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There’s going to be the Brand named character team, but probably not more until the 4e tome. They’ve got quite a few heroes already, really, all they’d need is a caster that’s not Underworlds to not even need a Sorc Lord.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The army book supplement from the box set only had entries for the 4 new units in the box

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The army book supplement from the box set only had entries for the 4 new units in the box

There's some extra books they want you to buy with uhhh Abraxias (that's probably right) the chaos lord and some other stuff in them. I think it's mainly sce and Skaven focused.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
https://www.warhammer-community.com...work-in-newaos/

Battle tactics! They still suck! Oh well.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well, at least it clarifies how you're missing out on points with the double turn

quote:

You can only pick a battle tactic you haven’t yet attempted, and a crucial change in the new edition is that you can’t pick a battle tactic if you win the priority roll and choose to take a second consecutive turn. Importantly, however, if your opponent wins the priority roll and decides to let you take two turns in a row, you can still pick a battle tactic – you can’t be “forced” to miss out.

Edit: Wonder how the underdog mechanic of scoring fewer points and double turn giving you a possible advantage but netting fewer points work together. In the meta game I mean, it's not quiet the same way as "sandbagging" you would imagine.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 26, 2024

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

So Six generic tactics and 2 for each grand alliance? Better then it was at least.
I'm not sure I like the idea of taking the double means giving up the points. Makes the priority roll a lot less interesting, since I would think people will skip the double turn unless they're already winning by a lot. Maybe I'm wrong though, I don't have a lot of experience with more competitive games.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Funzo posted:

So Six generic tactics and 2 for each grand alliance? Better then it was at least.
I'm not sure I like the idea of taking the double means giving up the points. Makes the priority roll a lot less interesting, since I would think people will skip the double turn unless they're already winning by a lot. Maybe I'm wrong though, I don't have a lot of experience with more competitive games.

The way I see it, it's a zero-sum numbers game. If you giving up 4 points on your turn makes the opponent lose 5 or more, it's the right call.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Considering how thoughtful all the other changes have been it's a real big surprise that they're leaving the stinkiest turd in AOS3 basically untouched.

Although it seems like faction specific ones are gone, so that's an improvement.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

They’ve built in an out for if they want to wildly change up how they work later, at least.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

The fact that they got rid of the faction battle tactics is good enough for me. With the default and alliance ones, there will be only twelve to choose from, balance, and be aware of for the whole game.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Talas posted:

The fact that they got rid of the faction battle tactics is good enough for me. With the default and alliance ones, there will be only twelve to choose from, balance, and be aware of for the whole game.

Eight. Six generic, two GA.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I think Talas means knowing all of them to avoid being caught off guard (though that'd be fourteen, 6 general + 8 faction).

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Well max of 10 in any one game I guess

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JBP posted:

There's some extra books they want you to buy with uhhh Abraxias (that's probably right) the chaos lord and some other stuff in them. I think it's mainly sce and Skaven focused.

Oh, I wasn't counting Abraxia since she's Chaos Warrior not Darkoath.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Work is slow, so you're going to get some smooth brain game design thoughts today.

Part of why battle tactics have previously sucked is that the seasonal ones have to be painfully generic. While it's good they're putting a bullet in pity battle tactics as a performance patch, as well as gross power imbalances between books, having one set of BTs for all armies for the entire game means they have to be even more generic than prior seasonals.

Touch two board edges without deployment tricks, go stand in the center of the board and don't be in combat. Cool, neither of those things are the fun parts of this game where your army gets to do cool stuff, and they're potentially non-interactive with your opponent.

The GA tactics aren't equivalent. Chaos having to designate a point controlled by their opponent, succeed in more charge rolls than you are allowed by rule to reroll, contest that point, AND take control of the point is vastly more difficult than Order's "go stand in quarters and don't do anything fun" objective. Both are also terrible to play!

Two obvious fixes for BTs:

1) Tailor the tactic requirements to a given mission, and have them be part of that particular battleplan. Write the objectives broadly, but if you want to have secondary scoring that's different from standing on circles, this is how you can tailor it to a given experience outside of an army book.

2) Make BTs work like achievements in a video game instead of calling your shot in pool. Fill a specific condition during gameply, get points for doing stuff you want to do as soon as it happens. It beats the crap out of determining who wins and loses a game based on a random dice roll when you don't pull off a charge.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

The Bee posted:

I think Talas means knowing all of them to avoid being caught off guard (though that'd be fourteen, 6 general + 8 faction).
Yeah, that's it. I forgot how to count for a minute :doh:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I actually looked at that chaos tactic as one of the easiest out there. 2 charges in 1 turn, only 1 of which has to be onto a controlled point and flipping it like you were likely wanting to do anyway seems a lot easier to fit into a game plan than ‘make sure you have units out of combat and mobile enough to get wholly within each quarter and your opponent doesn’t countercharge or redeploy to within 6” and wreck your poo poo.’

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 26, 2024

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

"Occupy four quarters" are pretty easy, and should be read as "win more." There's a Chaos grand strat in 3.0 like that, and it boils down to killing everything that can interfere, then parking four units or foot heroes in the center of the table and spreading them out just far enough that they can do this:

Any game state that can be replicated with a Simpsons gag should be an automatic failure condition.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
To be fair its occupy four quarters and have none of them in enemy paddling range. But six inches probably isn't too hard to avoid, especially if you're using small units and deep strikes to pull it off.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Eh, I'm not too experienced but the new battle tactics shown at least seem simple and fairly achievable? Which minimises the pain as I see it. Still not a great or very interesting objective system but at least it's all manageable with a bit of forethought. I like that you're now picking from 8 options for your army (across 4 turns - is that a change from 5 in the current rules?). Used to be 12 or so which was more to sift through.

What I am glad about, more than any specific positives to the new options, is the removal of things like 'have 3 heroes within combat range of 3 enemy heroes at the end of the turn". Which is so insanely specific to your army, the opposing army and the game state as to be impossible, plus it's directly counterintuitive to how you play the game - bringing heroes into combat range generally means they will be dead or their targets will. Simpler, but just as badly designed are tactics like 'kill an enemy priest'. They didn't bring a priest, well, better not pick that tactic!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, was planning on splitting the 4e starter with a friend (she gets the Skaven, I get the Stormcast). To that end, we found an 3e starter, with me taking the Stormcast and my partner getting the Orcs. The Stormcast really didn't appeal to me per se, but a partner managed to convince me to get into Nighthaunt. I managed to find the battleforce for them and an old 2e starter, so more ghosts and SigMarines.

Well, cue me getting a concussion and having to be laid up for a week with no work. I decided to work on some of the Stormcast as something to do. Me being me, I can't do the standard paint scheme (except on historical minis).

First one:

Not a great paint job, but mostly to see what colors would work well and as a proof of concept. Squatted units are great for that, eh? And then someone goes 'enby colors?'

Yup, suddenly it went from being a side project to 'yup, this is my army now.'

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Genghis Cohen posted:

Eh, I'm not too experienced but the new battle tactics shown at least seem simple and fairly achievable? Which minimises the pain as I see it. Still not a great or very interesting objective system but at least it's all manageable with a bit of forethought. I like that you're now picking from 8 options for your army (across 4 turns - is that a change from 5 in the current rules?). Used to be 12 or so which was more to sift through.
There was a good video about the new tactics at The Honest Wargamer. Basically, they may look easy, but that's where the new order Countercharge comes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ2rnUCWD8U

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
are battle tactics like the strategems of 40k?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

No, they are analogs to 40ks secondary objectives.

Pick a thing to do at the start of your turn, do the thing, and get points.

Command abilities are AOS stratagems.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

No, they are analoges to 40ks secondary objectives.

Pick a thing to do at the start of your turn, do the thing, and get points.

ok so why is there a controvesy happening here? is it that the secondary objectives arent clear or do-able?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The orders are the analog to stratagems.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

ok so why is there a controvesy happening here? is it that the secondary objectives arent clear or do-able?

Most people think the 3rd edition battle tactics are a bad and unfun mechanic and were hoping for them to be replaced with a better system. They weren't - they were improved a little bit but the system remains essentially unchanged.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Al-Saqr posted:

battle tactics in third edition were something gw handled very poorly with certain faction specific ones being far too easy to complete, you also had to select a new one every turn from a list which added a lot of annoying bookkeeping to the game since you needed to make five selections over the course of the game and remembering to have to do that every time was very annoying, third edition was fairly well liked among AoS players but battle tactics are near universally hated and a lot of people hoped that GW would take this edition change to excise them from the game

I think its less of an issue in 40k because in 9th you just selected all of them at the beginning of the game and in 10th its tied to a deck of cards that are a great memory aid as well as a commitment to not having any faction specific secondaries

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

iospace posted:

First one:

Congratulations on your head trauma! Don't Crosby yourself.

Overall a good scheme, though I think the light robe needs to shift either warmer or cooler, whichever you prefer. Right now it's not quite reading as fabric or leather.

If you like that particular base color, as well you should, is strongly recommend picking up the ProAcryl dark and faded plum bottles. They've got great, rich coverage, and they're what I used all over this guy:

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Talas posted:

There was a good video about the new tactics at The Honest Wargamer. Basically, they may look easy, but that's where the new order Countercharge comes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ2rnUCWD8U

Thanks, I will have a watch. You're right, anything based on moving into a position and then not being in combat is definitely threatened by counter charging. But I suppose that places the onus on your opponent to position so that's an option, and reserve a command point, so there's some opportunity cost for them. Potentially in extreme cases you'd need to allocate additional units to achieving the tactic, with some of them screening others?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/28/sunday-preview-white-dwarf-500-and-legions-imperialis-hardware/

The new White Dwarf (magazine and model) goes up for pre-order next weekend.
Otherwise the release roster is mainly about Not-Epic and TOW.

But there's something tucked away right at the end though:

quote:

Next week on Warhammer Community, we’ll be providing you with a glut of Warhammer Age of Sigmar coverage – a new miniature, details of how endless spells, invocations, and faction terrain work, details on the revamped Path to Glory mode, plus coverage of the fast and tactical new game mode, Spearhead.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

That ork on the long dragon from the old world is pretty cool.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Wonder when they're gonna drop the last dawnbringer book. I want to pick up that S2D box set with Abraxia and the Varanguard to fill out my S2D some more before the new edition.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Did a proper be'lakor.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The whole thing is sweet, but the wings are just amazing!

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
Fuckin' awesome job. Did you airbrush the pattern on the wings?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Oh yeah, I used some skull patterns I printed on vinyl as a template on my cricutjoy, I couldn't do that freehand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Did a proper be'lakor.

That loving rules so much incredible!!