Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

The only time the overall story advances in AoS is either when a new edition comes out, or it nears the end of one and they'll release a bunch of campaign books in preparation for the next edition.

I think that book is taking the lore from the campaign book where Kragnos was introduced and telling more proper story about him.

In other news, the 4e preview repeat that Age of Indexhammer is a go.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/27/what-does-newaos-mean-for-your-old-battletomes/

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I’m really dying to see what they mean by “plug&play modularity” in the rules. Like, I understand the example of playing without magic, but what will that rule set look like? What will be a module and what’s going to be part of the core of AoS?

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
"Battleshock has been removed"

Huh. Didn't see that coming.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm interested in the 'charging on your opponents turn'

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Battleshock removing seems like a big deal

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

They changed it for something else, "control" if I recall correctly... probably not.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Battleshock was a unfun mechanic that nobody liked so it's probably a good thing it's gone.

It'll probably be replaced by something like the current 40k implementation where it doesn't mean your models just die but are reduced in effectiveness in some way.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Battleshock tended to be an all or nothing effect. As a Skaven player, I took various pieces and abilities to ensure that I never dealt with Battleshock till the last rounds of the fight. If I did not, Battleshock tended to wipe out already wounded units entirely. This is why I almost never reinforced my basic Clanrats since they were likely dead once they got into a fight, either by wounds or the resulting battle shock if they're not immune.

If anything, I would love to have Battleshock mean something less absolute. I get that Skaven should have morale issues, it's absolutely a thing in the faction, but I don't want to lose entirely from it nor do I want to build my list to never interact with it.

Morale and its systems has always been an issue with these games so I hope for something interesting at least.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Geisladisk posted:

Battleshock was a unfun mechanic that nobody liked so it's probably a good thing it's gone.

It'll probably be replaced by something like the current 40k implementation where it doesn't mean your models just die but are reduced in effectiveness in some way.

I like to see the battle shocked unit actually run away

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Battleshock's big problem is that it either unduly affected armies with low bravery and tight CP economies, or it literally didn't matter.

I'd like to see a morale mechanic that causes falling back, but then you're stuck figuring out what constitutes "moving away" from the unit that broke it without getting into shenanigans where you retreat forward into another unit.

Also while we're wishcasting, I would personally like to have a small rule where you have to remove units while maintaing coherency when possible, but that's because I've had a Chosen double-activation and pile in stopped by a single surviving clanrat multiple times before and I'm salty as gently caress about it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I’ve only played two games where battleshock mattered. One was against Skaven and it only mattered because I got enough removed that there was a risk the entire unit would flee before it could refill itself, and the other was against Stormcast where it was the difference between the last guy of a ten man unit staying or breaking when I blew up six guys at once.

In neither case was it significant enough to actually swing the battle, and since I play Ogors, I never have to care about it because the way the math works i never have to deal with it unless someone somehow manages to get multiple kills on my gorgers during shooting.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Oh, and I'd like to dispense with command radii or make them actually matter, and a side of fries.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Crazy Ferret posted:

Battleshock tended to be an all or nothing effect. As a Skaven player, I took various pieces and abilities to ensure that I never dealt with Battleshock till the last rounds of the fight. If I did not, Battleshock tended to wipe out already wounded units entirely. This is why I almost never reinforced my basic Clanrats since they were likely dead once they got into a fight, either by wounds or the resulting battle shock if they're not immune.

If anything, I would love to have Battleshock mean something less absolute. I get that Skaven should have morale issues, it's absolutely a thing in the faction, but I don't want to lose entirely from it nor do I want to build my list to never interact with it.

Morale and its systems has always been an issue with these games so I hope for something interesting at least.

Yeah, I feel like GW really wants these morale mechanics in their games and wants it to matter, but at the same time understands that players hate getting punished for losing more or for losing one critical die roll completely separate from the actual combat & shooting. I'm not totally against Battleshock, but so many of their implementations have been half-assed, so easily avoided to the point you forget they exist, overly punishing to certain army types versus others, that I don't even know what a rule like that should be at this point. 40K 10e has a decent rule where battleshocked units can't hold points or use Strategems, but would that be too punishing in AoS with the big emphasis on giving & receiving commands? But, they're probably changing Commands too, so who knows.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

grassy gnoll posted:

Battleshock's big problem is that it either unduly affected armies with low bravery and tight CP economies, or it literally didn't matter.

It's one of those rules that I've just never liked for what it's designed to do. So you're telling me if I have a unit of 3 boltboys, then after the first dies, I roll a dice and if a 6 comes up the other 2 basically die as well? I know it won't happen very often but cmoooon. Just have the unit be unable to shoot or charge or whatever

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

They should just get rid of the Battleshock phase, and give Skaven & Goblins a "Cowardly" rule that forces only them to take Battleshock tests. And when they fail, like half the unit flees.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 27, 2024

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Desfore posted:

Yeah, I feel like GW really wants these morale mechanics in their games and wants it to matter, but at the same time understands that players hate getting punished for losing more or for losing one critical die roll completely separate from the actual combat & shooting. I'm not totally against Battleshock, but so many of their implementations have been half-assed, so easily avoided to the point you forget they exist, overly punishing to certain army types versus others, that I don't even know what a rule like that should be at this point. 40K 10e has a decent rule where battleshocked units can't hold points or use Strategems, but would that be too punishing in AoS with the big emphasis on giving & receiving commands? But, they're probably changing Commands too, so who knows.

I agree, the double turn is a bad mechanic

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Desfore posted:

I’m really dying to see what they mean by “plug&play modularity” in the rules. Like, I understand the example of playing without magic, but what will that rule set look like? What will be a module and what’s going to be part of the core of AoS?

Well fret not, because GW has now answered that question for you.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/28/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-what-are-modular-rules-and-what-do-they-mean-for-you/

Basically it means there are core and advanced rules.

And then the various playstyles can include various different advances modules.

Tomorrow, it's all about the priority roll.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 28, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

"“This means that you can learn and play games with the Core Rules, and then when you need them you can go on to learn the Advanced Rules. You can even just leave them out completely if you want – though some battlepacks will require them. It’s all part of making the game that existing players love more accessible to newer players.”

So same as 40K 10th edition except they moved terrain into a separate PDF document or something.

quote:

“Modularity is born from the idea that Warhammer Age of Sigmar is much more than just a game,” continues Matt, the man in charge of the rules. “It’s essentially a platform that supports many types of games. People play Warhammer Age of Sigmar as a narrative experience, a competitive tournament game, at sizes ranging from huge mega battles with hundreds of miniatures to smaller format games like Spearhead, and everything in between.

And people are going to chose play the one game they see everyone else play on youtube.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 28, 2024

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Spearhead being completely without magic and commands is interesting. Especially given they gave the FEC Spearhead a double caster leader. (Which tbf might not be a wizard at all in 4th who knows how the warscrolls shake out)

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 28, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I assume because like combat patrol all of that stuff will be written into your army specific spearhead rules. So they will only exist within the spearhead PDF file and you don't need to see them anywhere else, and also you won't need to know any of the army specific mechanics that exist outside of it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
"command models" sounds a lot like the unit leaders system 40k 10th has

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Not super enthused about going out of their way to make it clear they won't be issuing rules errata when it's needed, but I guess that's just how GW does.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

"command models" sounds a lot like the unit leaders system 40k 10th has

Yeah, I was wondering why they would separate Commands and Command Models, with the understanding that "Command Models" would just be HQ's issuing commands. But, if they're moving toward HQ's joining units, that would make a lot more sense.

Honestly, I like the idea of modularity in games, but this just feels like they want to make it easier for players to understand the General's Handbook swap each year by building the game from the ground up to support it. Which is fine, absolutely, but I feel like this picture they're painting of people wanting to try out games without X module, isn't really going to happen much outside of Spearhead. I would love to see tournaments where they stipulate from the top "NO MAGIC" or "NO COMMANDS," and I hope some people get crazy with it. Hell, this modularity could give TO's a model to make custom rulepacks for tournaments, that isn't just Narrative.

Edit: I really want to see the new Warscrolls now. Because, if all these modules are technically optional to the core AoS gameplay, how much of this content will be on a baseline Warscroll? Maybe that's where the color-coding comes in, that wizards have a section that's purple with all their spells, and HQ's have a red box with their unique commands.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 28, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They give examples of how they expect people to combine the rules, and guess what, they expect almost every game to use all of the rules. The modular thing has to be an idea cooked up by someone in marketing.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Lostconfused posted:

They give examples of how they expect people to combine the rules, and guess what, they expect almost every game to use all of the rules. The modular thing has to be an idea cooked up by someone in marketing.

They have an example like "in a new book we can just say 'use these magic rules instead of the base magic rules' and voila, swapped out modular system"

No idea if they'd actually do that, but yeah I laughed at that graphic too.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

I'd put money on this starting life as a internal guideline for structured rules writing and then some marketing gremlin latched onto it and ran with it.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

So, Path to Glory is just Matched Play without the Battle Tactics, now? They couldn't throw in a seventh module, just for that?
I guess all the management stuff is technically outside the Gameplay... But it changes your army roster. :shrug:

Desfore fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 28, 2024

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Ngl I'd prefer battle tactics we're just thrown in the trash entirely and replaced with a system like 40k's leviathan deck

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

If battle tactics remain unchanged I honestly might just quit

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Desfore posted:

I guess all the management stuff is technically outside the Gameplay... But it changes your army roster. :shrug:

Yes, you do all your army building before you play the game so it's not part of the gameplay.

Unless you're playing the spearhead which has a pre-built army for you, so you don't need all of the other modules at all.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'm being overly negative here, but mainly because this has been my experience of trying to pick up 40K in the past half a year.

Trying to learn the game and figure out how everything works felt to me like a bunch of the rules were hidden and I had to go look in three or four different places to find everything I needed to get a complete set of rules for the game. It didn't feel like the rest of the stuff was optional, it felt like key parts of the game were straight up missing and I had no idea why.

The core rules only have one very limited game type in them, and it's never played anyway.

So this whole modular thing seems like more of the same with empty marketing spin on top of it. It would be nice to see that games-workshop learned from the launch of 40K 10th edition and improved on it, but I personally don't have that expectation.

Edit2: I'm not even saying it's going to be bad, I just don't think it's going to make all your wishes and dreams come true like some people are hyping it up to be. I'm sure the game will still be good as a 2000 point army vs army game that everyone played for years already.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 28, 2024

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
This really feels more about organization and presentation than a game changer in its own right. The way I see it:

For experienced players on launch year, modular rules won't change much. You're probably gonna play with all the rules anyway.

If you're learning, or teaching a new player, onboarding will be so much easier. Add a module every game or two, and boom. Compared to hunting for areas of complexity to excise or hold back on, now you can just say "we're not using 3 or 6 yet, don't sweat those."

Once more alternate rules launch, the modules will make it a lot easier to build your game on the fly. That'll be where modular design shines, but they'll need to commit to it to flesh it out to that point.

My hope is when they say "we won't need errata," they mean they won't need the annoying, bloated line by line pdfs that everybody says are the death of the hobby. It's easier to go "here's the new Module 4, it'll also be in the new GHB". So long as the GHB isn't the only source, it should be a net improvement.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

No errata is a good thing tbh. I spent $40 on my KO army book and if I actually used the book to make a list, said list would be illegal

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

There’s going to be errata though. Not fixing a warscroll because they left off an ‘end of turn’ in the rules text of the printed version or something is just stupid and mistakes are gonna slip through. I feel like this is just some buzzword they are throwing out there to sell that new seasonal interactions with (most of) core rules can be written into the GHBs to supercede the old rules entirely. Unintended interactions that break things or ‘can this happen’ type stuff has got to stay online or you’re left with unfun things for 6 months to a year

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Oh, this article is absolutely 99% buzzword. Even modular rules right now are more for overhauling presentation and streamlining learning than they are for genuine effect. I can't imagine people legitimately going "can we play a full game but without commands and magic" unless it was for some kind of gimmick event. But I do think they're hoping to cut down on the pages of line by line errata and replace it with "here's the new Section 2, just read this instead."

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah I mean this is just SOP. You ever had someone at work come and give a talk about how this big new scheme coming through is going to make your life easier and that task you hate is going to be a thing of a past? But then when it's implemented, you find that you still have the crappy old task, but now you have the new thing to do on top of it, and it's also total garbage. Yeah it's gonna be all that.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

No modules, core rules only, final destination

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So, spearhead?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Its a tricky as hell balance. Nobody likes in text errata. It makes the value of the physical book fall off fast and makes referencing rules a pain. However, broken rules being left to fester is even worse. Getting things right the first time is obviously the ideal, but in a game that changes and grows across years at a time like Warhammer updates and revisions are always going to be needed.

Just making the rules fully free online, and making codexes an enthusiast's product, would at least tackle the value half of the equation. But unfortunately 40k showed that'll never happen. Hell, the months of all indexes being free was so good it legit hampered my interest in the game once they were taken away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The Bee posted:

Just making the rules fully free online, and making codexes an enthusiast's product, would at least tackle the value half of the equation. But unfortunately 40k showed that'll never happen. Hell, the months of all indexes being free was so good it legit hampered my interest in the game once they were taken away.

This really is the correct way for any product, but it's going to be particularly galling when they set up the production and distribution of the index info, and could just continue to update that as the means of errata distribution.