Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cessna posted:

Bring back Malal, cowards.

Be'lakor really does fit his description though, and even Archeon in his novel follows the whole "destroy everything including the gods of chaos" nihilism thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I think the Reclusian is a great example of the over-gribbly-fication of AOS models. The new Cities stuff is CHOCK full of tiny little bits and details, same for the Darkoath guys, same for the new SCE.

More is not always more, it just makes it a pain in the rear end to paint.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Muir posted:

I really like the Ruination chamber lore but it's also pretty similar to my understanding of Dreadnoughts in 40k, so that feels a bit less original than it did at first.

Kind of. The earlier hints of the Ruination chamber were that they were like the Death Company or WHFB dwarf slayers. Half-mad suicide troops, which is a trope which GW likes to use a lot across all its games and is maybe getting a bit played out.

By comparison, yeah, the dreadnought idea of increasingly mentally ‘not there’ but still capable troops with minders has been done but I think not as run into the ground?

And cool minis. The main dudes are a bit static but it’s good to see the random background weirdos from the art crop up and even be represented in the unit background.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Very big fan of accompanying little guys, less fan of the clutter.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Great Horned Rat is the Chaos God of Ruination.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah. These guys are part Death Company, part Dreadnought, but given an extra dimension by how much more human Stormcast are than Marines. There's also an inevitability to them that the loose Marine equivalents lack. A Dreadnought is a special circumstance. Not every Blood Angel falls to the Death Company. But this?

This is the inevitable fate of every single Stormcast.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Big fan of the weird little guys, every army should have some weird little guys. The lore is cool as hell, too.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

A lot of armies are weird little guys when you put them next to a stormcast.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Cessna posted:

Bring back Malal, cowards.

They can't because Malal is copyrighted by someone else as I recall.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
I dunno, I'm really feeling the new designs. I think having a bunch of crap slapped on helps break up the mono color look, even if it comes off busy and maybe messy. I like all the extra plates and details on the edges too, which also helps. The best though, is the helmet look, before the armor had this "armor that looks like people" and it's moved more toward "living suit of armor" which is, essentially, what the Stormcast become.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm imagining you have like one or two units of these guys next to the more clean Liberators and Prosecutors so you're not going to spend your time painting entire armies of the fuckers. I'm not gagging to return to AoS but fi someone offered me the stormcast I'd take em I guess.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I assume they'll be expensive in points like Annihilators, so, at least you'll see 3 or 6... hopefully.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Talas posted:

I assume they'll be expensive in points like Annihilators, so, at least you'll see 3 or 6... hopefully.
I mean, the trailer very specifically had 3 of them together so I'll be exceptionally surprised if that isn't their unit size.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They all come with a minder so it would be a 6 model unit size :eng101:

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The horned rat, like his equivalent the emperor/dark king is Ruination. This is clearest with Nurgle, which has a cycle of life and death, new diseases and fungi growing in the body of the old. But under the Horned Rat is disease that just kills, that leaves no life behind. It is violence without courage, reproduction without pleasure, disease without new life, schemes without cleverness. A world where khorne won would be endless slaughter and violence, but if the GHR wins there will just be nothing, no possibility of rebuilding, of anything.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Goddamn the Horned Rat rules

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Lostconfused posted:

They all come with a minder so it would be a 6 model unit size :eng101:
I don't know if they've said all of them have one each but given the preview only has two of them I wouldn't be surprised if it's one per group of 3 and they just come with some options so that they're not all the same if you have multiple squads (like the priests in the Cities of Sigmar Steelhelms). Either way, it's very likely they won't be in a unit of 10 of the big dudes with all the greeblies that will be hard to paint like the posts we were responding to was worried about.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

My guess, based purely on aesthetics, is that they'll come in a unit of 5 like the chosen. Because that seems like the most comparable thing to me.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I like these dudes quite a bit, the much more grim design gives SCE some much needed visual edge and it's much closer to John Blanche's original SCE artwork

grobbo
May 29, 2014
When will GW release a box that is solely composed of all their weird little guys, a move which would make them one billion dollars and restore order to the galaxy

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Never, because most people would buy the one box instead of the many kits you can be convinced to buy if they sell them piecemeal.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/16/kit-focus-these-versatile-darkoath-miniatures-have-sworn-an-oath-to-customisation/

Here's a kit focus article for the new Darkoath if you want to try to glean anything interesting from it.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They keep bringing up how the new darkoath are the opposite of cities of sigmar

quote:

The Darkoath Chieftain on Warsteed is a foreboding soul, a dark and ruthless mirror of the Freeguild Cavalier-Marshal.

Was the sigmar/chaos thing always this explicit or are they making it even more obvious about the parallels between "slaves to darkness" and cities/sigmar armies?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/16/kit-focus-these-versatile-darkoath-miniatures-have-sworn-an-oath-to-customisation/

Here's a kit focus article for the new Darkoath if you want to try to glean anything interesting from it.

Horses that aren't attached to the riders are back on the menu, boys!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Lostconfused posted:

They keep bringing up how the new darkoath are the opposite of cities of sigmar

Was the sigmar/chaos thing always this explicit or are they making it even more obvious about the parallels between "slaves to darkness" and cities/sigmar armies?

I think it's like, when everything was poo poo, Sigmar swooped in and 'saved' a certain portion of humanity, which became the Cities of Sigmar people. The rest were left in the chaos wastes and became the Slaves to Darkness.

So, the chaos humans are basically mad that Sigmar saved some, but not them, so now they're rivals. Or something.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Ravendas posted:

I think it's like, when everything was poo poo, Sigmar swooped in and 'saved' a certain portion of humanity, which became the Cities of Sigmar people. The rest were left in the chaos wastes and became the Slaves to Darkness.

So, the chaos humans are basically mad that Sigmar saved some, but not them, so now they're rivals. Or something.
I think it was more like they only knew chaos for generations and then suddenly some people from safe Azyr came and told them they're going to be saved whether they like it or not.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah the Darkoath were abandoned by Sigmar, not the other way around. Now if they have any cultural memory of Sigmar at all it's as "the betrayer god" and combined that with the sigmarites being a bunch of sneering imperialists who want to "civilize" them and you have a pretty bitter conflict.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They also don't really have the same concept of Chaos that the other chaos armies do. They don't worship any of the gods or really know they exist. They just know there are dark spirits that offer them protection and boons in return for their loyalty. The really chaos corrupted members are viewed with suspicion and outcast from the tribe.

To me, they kind of read like the orcs from the first two Warcraft games.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
Even loyalty might be pushing it, the Darkoath don’t seem that keen on the idea so much as making temporary pacts and bargains with (to them) vague low-fantasy spirits of, like, strength or endurance. The cities have their guns and militaries and stormcast, this is the risky weapon they reach for to fight back. You had a bit of this with some of the background in 6th ed WHFB.

I get the impression the darkoath distrust truly chaotic things because to embrace chaos is to lose yourself and exchange one tyrant god for another. But then hubristically thinking you can make a deal with the chaos gods and come out ahead is kind of the core conceit of warhams in general, even if you’re just doing it temporarily to resist Azyrite imperialism or whatever.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Some gods, no masters.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Honestly i think darkoath would look alot cooler if they really leaned into the artstyle of the artist Adrian smiths from his comic 'HATE', i was completely blown away by the comic, a friend happened to have its crazy gigantic board game, the miniature are incredibly rad sadly the game itself wasnt great. But that setting really nails 'Evil Barbaric Warriors'.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

GhastlyBizness posted:

Even loyalty might be pushing it, the Darkoath don’t seem that keen on the idea so much as making temporary pacts and bargains with (to them) vague low-fantasy spirits of, like, strength or endurance. The cities have their guns and militaries and stormcast, this is the risky weapon they reach for to fight back. You had a bit of this with some of the background in 6th ed WHFB.

I get the impression the darkoath distrust truly chaotic things because to embrace chaos is to lose yourself and exchange one tyrant god for another. But then hubristically thinking you can make a deal with the chaos gods and come out ahead is kind of the core conceit of warhams in general, even if you’re just doing it temporarily to resist Azyrite imperialism or whatever.

Yeah I get the impression that, while they distrust chaos, they are ultimately still on the Path to Glory and have a higher than average likelihood to become a full blown Warrior of Chaos. The Slaves to Darkness army list still thematically retains the Marauder to Warrior to Chosen to Lord to Daemon Prince Pokemon evolution after all.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
A detail found across the range is the lil stone where they write down their dark oaths. That implies either that the warriors and knights got promoted from marauder or that there's a degree of cultural overlap.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
How devoted a Darkoath tribe is to the Chaos gods also depends heavily on the tribe. Some pay the gods more respect than others.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

War and Pieces posted:

A detail found across the range is the lil stone where they write down their dark oaths. That implies either that the warriors and knights got promoted from marauder or that there's a degree of cultural overlap.

That's just so their dark masters have an easier time keeping track of their worshippers as they move around. You want to be able to tell if your warriors are getting on top of the fridge or on the shelves without looking.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Al-Saqr posted:

Honestly i think darkoath would look alot cooler if they really leaned into the artstyle of the artist Adrian smiths from his comic 'HATE'

Oh man, wait until you find out about the Hordes of Chaos book from 6th edition.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Oh man, wait until you find out about the Hordes of Chaos book from 6th edition.
Hell yeah.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I still own that book :black101:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

ok THIS is a pretty awesome look for the Stormcast eternals. I like the more grim direction instead of the polished look. if this is the overall direction the new SCE armies will take I am much MUCH more interested.

yeah, finally there are Cool stormcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

War and Pieces posted:

So that makes it another thing where the new stormcast are mirrored.

Chaos have a reminder of what they will do while stormcast have a reminder of what they did do.