Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Yesterday I had my first experience using an airbrush on my own. I'd previously had a friend help me basecoat a Land Raider, but now I got my own setup to prime and basecoat a bunch of 40k and AoS models. I always hear horror stories about airbrushes, but it went well! I don't think I would enjoy using it for details, but I found it very nice for laying down consistent coats of colour. This is particularly important, since my partner bought me pretty much one of every Stormcast dragon (Ionus, stormdrake guard, Karazai, and Lord-Celestant on Stardrake), and I don't think I'd be able to paint so many large models with a brush.

Do the Army Painter speedpaints work well in airbrushes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

You sure you don't want to ask that in the Painting thread instead? :v:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yes, but you won't get the speed paint wash-like effect at all. But they airbrush great.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/17/the-fires-of-combat-rage-higher-than-ever-in-newaos/

It's melee time! There's a whole bunch of images and rules being shown off in this one so be sure to read it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/17/the-fires-of-combat-rage-higher-than-ever-in-newaos/

It's melee time! There's a whole bunch of images and rules being shown off in this one so be sure to read it.

Wow half an inch? Thats alot more strict than the 1 inch rule in 40k

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The gameification continues

quote:

but these now also work as abilities with clearly defined declaration and effect steps.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
1/2" coherency? May as well be on movement trays at that point.

That will be annoying to track with a tape measure, the clip on the end and the body/housing will get in the way. You're going to need a silly little doodad.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

But also still leaving it convoluted

quote:

in each phase the active player uses any of their abilities in whichever order they want, and then their opponent can do the same

quote:

after both players have resolved any of their other abilities for this phase, they then take it in turns to activate units to use FIGHT abilities

So alternating activations still exists but only for an ability with the fight keyword, ok, maybe you could have come up with a cleaner rule set than this?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Wow half an inch? Thats alot more strict than the 1 inch rule in 40k

It's also a lot less strict than 40K because you don't have to pick a target or move the model base to base and can just move it towards any enemy model you want.

Edit:

quote:

There’s a slight change to the way damage is allocated. Instead of allocating damage points to a model in a unit, damage points are now allocated to the unit as a whole. When the total of damage points allocated to a unit equals the Health characteristic of that unit, the commanding player removes a model from that unit, but they must stay in coherency.

Another interesting thing is does the damage overflow or not?

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 17, 2024

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
The "modular rules" thing seems a bit contrived, because some rules (like fight and probably movement) need to be wired into the core rules. Which is fine. I don't think anyone is looking for fight rule modularity.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Athas posted:

The "modular rules" thing seems a bit contrived, because some rules (like fight and probably movement) need to be wired into the core rules. Which is fine. I don't think anyone is looking for fight rule modularity.

Everyone is just going to play with all the rules all the time, except maybe in some kind of beginner teaching game.

Things being in discreet chunks makes them easier to update or change later on? That is all the impact I think modularity has.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Have any of GW’s movement tools gone down to 1/2 inch? Sure, tape measures, but I always liked having having a piece of plastic with the exact lengths you need. It’s good that they’re taking into account groups of 6 before restricting coherency, from the start this time.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Lostconfused posted:

The gameification continues

Wtf does it mean to "gamify" a thing that is already a game?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Eyeballing a half inch will be fine in almost all cases.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Overall supportive of the rules but it feels like "on a 4+ your spears get ASF if they were charged" is stupid. Just make it a static rule

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

Wtf does it mean to "gamify" a thing that is already a game?

Removing ambiguity, turning everything into strict specific rules governed by keywords and everything working in strict specific ordered sequences. Taking the war part out of wargame and leaving the game part.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Safety Factor posted:

1/2" coherency? May as well be on movement trays at that point.

That will be annoying to track with a tape measure, the clip on the end and the body/housing will get in the way. You're going to need a silly little doodad.

half inch coherency at least stops some of the 'well technically 25mm bases are less than an inch so they I can move this unit through the gaps in my elite units' or 'actually 20 hobgrots in a single line is coherent' stuff that felt like exploits in 3rd. movement trays sound like a reasonable pickup in future for my crypt ghouls though.

Shooting in combat being reduced, and 'whoops my pile in took your guys out of combat now you don't get to fight' taken away also seems good. And the charge reroll is in fact working exactly like it used to, seemed super weak read the other way so that's a relief.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 17, 2024

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

GW should just bring back those movement trays they had for their last attempt at Apocalypse.
I'm sure they're taking space in the warehouse anyway and this is the perfect opportunity to get rid of them.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Blasmeister posted:

half inch coherency at least stops some of the 'well technically 25mm bases are less than an inch so they I can move this unit through the gaps in my elite units' or 'actually 20 hobgrots in a single line is coherent' stuff that felt like exploits in 3rd. movement trays sound like a reasonable pickup in future for my crypt ghouls though.

Shooting in combat being reduced, and 'whoops my pile in took your guys out of combat now you don't get to fight' taken away also seems good. And the charge reroll is in fact working exactly like it used to, seemed super weak read the other way so that's a relief.

Was shooting in combat reduced? I must've missed that.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Lostconfused posted:

Removing ambiguity, turning everything into strict specific rules governed by keywords and everything working in strict specific ordered sequences. Taking the war part out of wargame and leaving the game part.

i feel like you're making up a problem to get mad at

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The Bee posted:

Was shooting in combat reduced? I must've missed that.

No shooting in combat unless your weapon has 'shoots in combat'

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Lostconfused posted:

If it makes you feel better you can still lose on a single dice roll (the double turn)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ominous Jazz posted:

i feel like you're making up a problem to get mad at

I'm not mad, I just think the new games-workshop games are not for me, I don't think moving further in this direction would make 40K better, well again better from my point of view.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Lostconfused posted:

It's also a lot less strict than 40K because you don't have to pick a target or move the model base to base and can just move it towards any enemy model you want.

Edit:

Another interesting thing is does the damage overflow or not?

Damage works exactly the same way as it does now, you're just assigning it to a unit and removing the correct number of models once you have a final score, rather than removing one unit at at time. It's quicker and prevents some stupid teching problems.

Athas posted:

"Modular" should be translated as "please don't be scared of rules, newcomers." If you have played a GW game before even once, there is nothing you will personally gain from rules "modules."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Desfore posted:

Have any of GW’s movement tools gone down to 1/2 inch? Sure, tape measures, but I always liked having having a piece of plastic with the exact lengths you need. It’s good that they’re taking into account groups of 6 before restricting coherency, from the start this time.

The combat tools that have been big since 8th 40k have a 1/2 inch edge.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Blasmeister posted:

No shooting in combat unless your weapon has 'shoots in combat'

This is huge and I'm here for it. Nasty combo with mortals on the fall back, too. Saving a cp to Redeploy some screens may be a must for range dependent armies.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Lostconfused posted:

Sounds like a lot of uncontroversially good changes that could only be opposed by grogs with nostalgia goggles welded to their face.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

Sounds like a lot of uncontroversially good changes that could only be opposed by grogs with nostalgia goggles welded to their face.

ok

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Real wargames need an adjudicator, and I'm pretty happy that is not the case for modern Warhammer.

I remember older versions of Warhammer having less of a difference between the units. Mostly stats, less abilities. Can't decide whether I prefer that over now having to remember at least one ability per unit.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

1st and 2nd ed 40k specifically required a third party to act as a judge, and even game master I believe.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Cooked Auto posted:

1st and 2nd ed 40k specifically required a third party to act as a judge, and even game master I believe.

I played 2nd ed 40k and don't remember that. I was like 14 though so who knows.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Rogue Trader definitely states you need that, although even then I think you could make do without. The rules weren't that ambiguous, and the adjudicator was more of a game master to keep track of information not available to the players.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I could be wrong on 2nd ed I'll admit, even if I think the term adjudicator comes up a couple of times in the 40j compendium meant for that edition.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

But also still leaving it convoluted

So alternating activations still exists but only for an ability with the fight keyword, ok, maybe you could have come up with a cleaner rule set than this?

This is exactly the way it works today in 3rd. Players take turns executing "start of combat phase" abilities, then take turns fighting.

Literally nothing changed except they made it clearer and less ambiguous. Which is good, actually.

e: only significant change I'm seeing is 1/2 inch coherency, which makes screening harder, but otherwise doesn't really change combat because everyone has 3" reach now

ee: and no shooting in combat is big

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 17, 2024

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Plus it doesn't look like you have to be within twelve inches to declare a charge anymore. I don't know if it'll be huge in and of itself, but units with musicians and equivalent boosters are going to have a little longer potential Hail Mary ranges.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Geisladisk posted:

This is exactly the way it works today in 3rd. Players take turns executing "start of combat phase" abilities, then take turns fighting.

Literally nothing changed except they made it clearer and less ambiguous. Which is good, actually.

e: only significant change I'm seeing is 1/2 inch coherency, which makes screening harder, but otherwise doesn't really change combat because everyone has 3" reach now

ee: and no shooting in combat is big

My read of that image is that the active player does *all* of their abilities first, then the other player, then alternating fights

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Athas posted:

Yesterday I had my first experience using an airbrush on my own. I'd previously had a friend help me basecoat a Land Raider, but now I got my own setup to prime and basecoat a bunch of 40k and AoS models. I always hear horror stories about airbrushes, but it went well! I don't think I would enjoy using it for details, but I found it very nice for laying down consistent coats of colour. This is particularly important, since my partner bought me pretty much one of every Stormcast dragon (Ionus, stormdrake guard, Karazai, and Lord-Celestant on Stardrake), and I don't think I'd be able to paint so many large models with a brush.

Do the Army Painter speedpaints work well in airbrushes?
I know you've already been pointed to the painting thread where we can talk about it in more detail but to answer your question where it was asked: AP Speedpaints / Contrast Paints / XPress Colour get their properties from the medium the paint is suspended in. When you add other stuff like airbrush thinner and flow improver you're effectively changing the properties of the medium and they act more like inks instead of traditional paints when you put them through an airbrush as a result (unless you don't thin them which works for some but not others depending on the viscosity of the paint in question).

This isn't necessarily a bad thing and if you put them over a nice solid white/off-white you can still get them to mostly do what you're expecting, it'll just take a few coats (and you'll probably want to start from a dark basecoat so you have some more shadow definition since that's one of the things you lose when airbrushing). I really like them as a filter for metallic paints in particular such as a couple of layers of skeleton horde over silver metallic paint to get a tarnished steel/pale brass look (apologies for the space marine as an example but I don't have any metallic AoS models):

What I'd personally suggest is that if you want solid colours for large models is that you prime, then do your basecoats with the airbrush using regular paints (ProAcryl is my paint of choice for this stuff at the moment) and then you can go and brush paint on the speedpaints on the model where it makes sense so you can take advantage of their properties. Masking helps a lot for this and you can also just put down another layer of white/off-white and then use the speedpaints on it if you need it for one specific part.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 18, 2024

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ugly John posted:

My read of that image is that the active player does *all* of their abilities first, then the other player, then alternating fights

This is what the article says, yeah

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/18/dont-listen-to-sigmar-the-darkoath-are-more-than-just-mindless-chaos-marauders/

Mostly linking this because of the art, holy gently caress have they knocked it out of the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
It's a pretty simple switcharoo, but casting the Darkoath as defenders of their ancestral lands against the good guy invaders works really well. It makes them a lot more interesting than Chaos marauders ever were (they were also always more interesting when the focus wasn't on the Chaos part).

Athas fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 18, 2024