Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/18/dont-listen-to-sigmar-the-darkoath-are-more-than-just-mindless-chaos-marauders/

Mostly linking this because of the art, holy gently caress have they knocked it out of the park.

Yep that art looks really cool and the lore is much better fleshed out than mindless chaos followers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Putting together grave guard and I'm kinda shocked I've found a "multipose" kit I hate more than the old Eldar Guardians.

Like the rest of the kit is already annoying and then the situation around having to mount the great weapon arms is a goddamn crime.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This darkoath poo poo is so good

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Wow Darkoath and GW announcing the removal of older Warcry bands certainly seems to have spiked pricing for the old box sets.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
New battle scroll, I guess!

A handful of melee range increases, some very minor points reductions for most armies except for Khorne and OBR.

Well, okay then.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Hopefully the new box set won't sell out super quick. This is one of the rare weekends where I will not be in a position to order it near the release time.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Athas posted:

Real wargames need an adjudicator, and I'm pretty happy that is not the case for modern Warhammer.

I remember older versions of Warhammer having less of a difference between the units. Mostly stats, less abilities. Can't decide whether I prefer that over now having to remember at least one ability per unit.

Imo if they want to make the game more approachable to people (which feels like they want to do), being able to say "oh, here's a guy on a horse with a spear, just by glancing I know it does X, Y and Z" is good design

It sucks to have to do a 5-10 minute presentation of everything in your army to your opponent and potentially lose a game because you forgot a specific ability a unit does halfway through the game

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/19/cast-supreme-sorceries-and-chant-powerful-prayers-in-newaos/

It's magic and prayers time. Turns out Wizard power levels are your combined possible casts, unbinds and dispells in a turn. Endless spells and invocations are back, unfortunately; no details on if they're getting new kits. Unbinding is made against your opponent's actual casting roll, instead of the casting value of a spell.

Priests use a different casting system altogether now. They'll roll a d6, and on a 2+ they'll generate a number of ritual points equal to that roll. Ritual points are kept over rounds. Instead of trying to beat a target number, you spend ritual points to chant a prayer, with the possibility of additional effects if you spend more ritual points.

Apart from the endless spells coming back, this is all really neat. I'm hoping they make Pestillens great plagues into the prayer equivalent of current Cabalist synergy.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

No more than one friendly wizard can cast the same spell each turn, unless that spell has the new UNLIMITED keyword – and even UNLIMITED spells can’t be repeatedly cast by the same wizard in the same turn. Casting rolls are still 2D6, and if a casting roll includes a double 1, then the spell is miscast – the caster takes D3 mortal damage and can cast no more spells in that phase.

So practically spell casting is more of a thing your army does and wizards are more like the points on the table from which you can make magic happen. Well, if you're going to have more than 1 or 2 wizards in your army.

edit:

grassy gnoll posted:

Priests use a different casting system altogether now. They'll roll a d6, and on a 2+ they'll generate a number of ritual points equal to that roll. Ritual points are kept over rounds. Instead of trying to beat a target number, you spend ritual points to chant a prayer, with the possibility of additional effects if you spend more ritual points.

This seems to have ran into the limits of their ability to write rules, because I'm not sure how you're supposed to interpret from the writing on this card that effects don't happen after the declare step is resolved.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 19, 2024

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

grassy gnoll posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/19/cast-supreme-sorceries-and-chant-powerful-prayers-in-newaos/

It's magic and prayers time. Turns out Wizard power levels are your combined possible casts, unbinds and dispells in a turn. Endless spells and invocations are back, unfortunately; no details on if they're getting new kits. Unbinding is made against your opponent's actual casting roll, instead of the casting value of a spell...
Not in a turn, in a phase. So a Wizard (2) could do two casts or one cast and a dispell in the hero phase.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah but looking at the cards

Even wizard/priest (2) might be kind of rare?

Edit: I guess it kind of matches the current number of cast/dispell in 3rd edition?

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 19, 2024

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

grassy gnoll posted:

. Unbinding is made against your opponent's actual casting roll, instead of the casting value of a spell.

Isn’t this the case now?

The power level stuff basically just seems to be language cleaned up to account for the command reaction spell-casting in enemy turns, trying to unbind a spell cast in your turn uses up one of your regular casts (and vice versa for the opponent). And if I get the ordering of things correct you would cast all your spells before the opponent chooses whether to try to cast in your hero phase so now you have to maybe give up on a potential cast to leave an unbind free to hedge against an opponent trying to get another spell off.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 19, 2024

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It is.

I really hope I don’t need to buy some endless spells, I can’t tell if Manifestations are completely free and therefore mandatory.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

grassy gnoll posted:

From the look of this one prayer, I don't like how they've mechanically implemented the prayer system. You'll want to accumulate Ritual Points every turn, but the chanting roll is tied to declaring a prayer. So, I assume if you have no applicable prayers, or valid targets within range, that priest loses that opportunity to build ritual points. Also... it doesn't really say it in the article, but I assume you're spending the points to cast the prayer, right? The article doesn't mention how those points impact the chanting roll, but how else would you get an 8+ on one D6. So, if you want to save for 8+ points to cast the upgraded version, could you declare you want to chant this, roll a 4+ for the points, and then... not pay the 4 and bank those points?

Edit: I like the idea of Ritual Points, but to me it would have made more sense to just have one chanting roll (or more per power level) for each of your Priests during the start of turn or the hero phase, and then you just spend those points when you want to chant something.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 19, 2024

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Blasmeister posted:

Isn’t this the case now?

The power level stuff basically just seems to be language cleaned up to account for the command reaction spell-casting in enemy turns, trying to unbind a spell cast in your turn uses up one of your regular casts (and vice versa for the opponent). And if I get the ordering of things correct you would cast all your spells before the opponent chooses whether to try to cast in your hero phase so now you have to maybe give up on a potential cast to leave an unbind free to hedge against an opponent trying to get another spell off.

It is the case now, I'm just a dumbass and jumbled up the rules for dispelling and unbinding.

Desfore posted:

From the look of this one prayer, I don't like how they've mechanically implemented the prayer system. You'll want to accumulate Ritual Points every turn, but the chanting roll is tied to declaring a prayer. So, I assume if you have no applicable prayers, or valid targets within range, that priest loses that opportunity to build ritual points. Also... it doesn't really say it in the article, but I assume you're spending the points to cast the prayer, right? The article doesn't mention how those points impact the chanting roll, but how else would you get an 8+ on one D6. So, if you want to save for 8+ points to cast the upgraded version, could you declare you want to chant this, roll a 4+ for the points, and then... not pay the 4 and bank those points?

Edit: I like the idea of Ritual Points, but to me it would have made more sense to just have one chanting roll (or more per power level) for each of your Priests' ritual points during the start of turn or the hero phase, and then you just spend those points when you want to chant something.

On a re-read, I don't think you're spending points - the primary way you can lose ritual points seems to be if you flub your chant.

If that's the case, then you just build a point value every time you chant as long as you don't fail the roll. You hit the threshold of eight points, now Witchbane curse does an additional effect. Priests rolling hot might have some potentially wild effects if you're gaining an average of 3.5 ritual points a turn.

If that's correct, you're a sucker not to chant. Especially if it doesn't have the potential to wound you anymore, which seems to also be the case.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

grassy gnoll posted:

It is the case now, I'm just a dumbass and jumbled up the rules for dispelling and unbinding.

On a re-read, I don't think you're spending points - the primary way you can lose ritual points seems to be if you flub your chant.

If that's the case, then you just build a point value every time you chant as long as you don't fail the roll. You hit the threshold of eight points, now Witchbane curse does an additional effect. Priests rolling hot might have some potentially wild effects if you're gaining an average of 3.5 ritual points a turn.

If that's correct, you're a sucker not to chant. Especially if it doesn't have the potential to wound you anymore, which seems to also be the case.

But the phrasing on the bonus effect is "If the chanting roll is 8+" not something like "If you have more than 8 Ritual Points," so I have to assume the points are improving your chant rolls in some way. If it's something like one ritual point is a +1 to chanting, without having to spend them, then the baseline chanting value seems crazy low at 4. You'll always succeed on the second cast, if you don't roll any 1's.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 19, 2024

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

quote:

For example, a Slaughterpriest can choose to unleash the Witchbane Curse to weaken an enemy WIZARD once they’ve gathered 4+ ritual points… or hold out for a chanting value of 8+ to also deal three mortal damage to the target.

From the article, I think the phrase 'holding out' strongly implies you're spending the points when you cast or you'd simply cast any version you had access to while still building up points over time.

Endless spells now being 'free' for your army might make malign sorcery/forbidden power a sensible purchase, if you have more than 1 army especially. Every army with wizards is now gonna be taking either their factions endless spells or a subset of the generic spells to every game

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 19, 2024

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

So Wizard (1) means you can either cast 1 spell OR attempt 1 unbind right? Unlike now where most wizards get 1 of each. Or does that just apply to spells and banishing? It's not completely clear.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think it's relatively clear in the article

quote:

Each spellcaster in the game is identified by the keyword WIZARD, which is followed by their power level – a number in brackets that determines the number of SPELL, UNBIND, and BANISH abilities that they can use per phase. So a hero with the keyword WIZARD (2) could fire off a single SPELL and still attempt to BANISH an endless spell or invocation.
The power level is the maximum amount of times you can use any total combination of abilities per phase.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Remember that it is possible to cast in the enemy's turn in 4e - so you have to decide if you want to do that or use all your stuff as unbinds.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Sorry is this spell casting thing like psychic attacks in 40k? Ritual points are they command points for spell asters? Can someone explain to me? Im not familiar at all with how different this is feom 40k psychic attacks, Endless spells werent a thing this edition? Those spell models look pretty cool.

I was doing research, was the Dominion box for 3rd edition really 200 dollars? That sounds like an incredible savings if its the same price next edition compared to buying two spearheads and a rulebook. Something like 160 dollars savings, crazy.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 19, 2024

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Al-Saqr posted:

Sorry is this spell casting thing like psychic attacks in 40k? Ritual points are they command points for spell asters? Can someone explain to me? Im not familiar at all with how different this is feom 40k psychic attacks, Endless spells werent a thing this edition? Those spell models look pretty cool.

I was doing research, was the Dominion box for 3rd edition really 200 dollars? That sounds like an incredible savings if its the same price next edition compared to buying two spearheads and a rulebook. Something like 160 dollars savings, crazy.

Okay so the way spellcasting works is kind of like how psyker powers worked before 10e. You roll 2d6 on your turn and try to get over your spell's magic number, and if you do, it happens. If you roll snake eyes, you take damage. Your opponent can have one of their wizards try to counter the spell as it's cast.

Ritual points are new and they're a thing for prayers. Prayers don't have a real counterpart in 40k. Your priests do them, each round you get to roll a die and if it's 2+, you get ritual points equal to the roll. You hold these until you have enough to use your prayer, and then choose to spend them on that or keep holding for an increased effect for more points, which most prayers apparently have. There is not a deny/counter for prayers, but you can just kill the priest before they get the prayer off.

Endless spells are now Manifestations, but they work the same way as spells - you roll 2d6 and try to hit a number, and if you succeed, the endless spell appears on the battlefield and does its thing. In theory you can lose control of the spell in 3e as things stand but in practice this never happens.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

Endless spells and invocations are still in the mix – but instead of spending points to add endless spells when constructing an army, you can pick a manifestation lore. This grants access to a selection of endless spells and invocations that you’ll be able to summon in battle.

So whatever endless spells were they still exist, but they're bundled now with other sorts of spells under an umbrella called manifestations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Okay so the way spellcasting works is kind of like how psyker powers worked before 10e. You roll 2d6 on your turn and try to get over your spell's magic number, and if you do, it happens. If you roll snake eyes, you take damage. Your opponent can have one of their wizards try to counter the spell as it's cast.

Ritual points are new and they're a thing for prayers. Prayers don't have a real counterpart in 40k. Your priests do them, each round you get to roll a die and if it's 2+, you get ritual points equal to the roll. You hold these until you have enough to use your prayer, and then choose to spend them on that or keep holding for an increased effect for more points, which most prayers apparently have. There is not a deny/counter for prayers, but you can just kill the priest before they get the prayer off.

Endless spells are now Manifestations, but they work the same way as spells - you roll 2d6 and try to hit a number, and if you succeed, the endless spell appears on the battlefield and does its thing. In theory you can lose control of the spell in 3e as things stand but in practice this never happens.

Thanks for the explainer, will definitely research more into it once 4e hits, seems like an interesting mechanic and makes more sense in a fantasy setting.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

The casting part of spells is relatively simple. You roll 2d6 and compare to the difficulty value of the spell you're trying to cast. Match or beat it and you get to cast it. Roll snakeeyes and you take D3 wounds. One of your opponent's wizards within 30" can try to beat your roll to counter your spell. Which and how many spells you can cast per turn depends on the unit but most casters get a unique spell on their warscroll they have access to plus everyone gets to write 1 spell on their decklist for each wizard to know. This part is now changing in 4th to 'pick one set list of spells for all your wizards to have access to'.
Endless spells in 3rd were basically units you put in your decklist with a points value, and if you have one in your list any of your wizards can try to cast it. This is again changing in 4th to 'pick a set list of endless spells for your wizards to be able to summon'

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Hopefully the new box set won't sell out super quick. This is one of the rare weekends where I will not be in a position to order it near the release time.

Was actually able to order it on ebay for 170, with a 10 buck coupon for using paypal, so 160 for the box.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Was actually able to order it on ebay for 170, with a 10 buck coupon for using paypal, so 160 for the box.

Yeah if theres no big price hike for the next box set it will be an incredible steal considering how much you get for it.

If someones goes for the two spearheads + rulebook it will cost 140+140+60 = 350

But the box set would have a roughly 1000 point armies for 200-250 rulebook included, pretty good deal

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://www.goonhammer.com/slaves-to-darkness-darkoath-battletome-supplement-rules-review/

The GH Darkoath battletome rules review is up for anyone curious as what boons they might get swearing their fealty to the ruinous powers.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.goonhammer.com/slaves-to-darkness-darkoath-battletome-supplement-rules-review/

The GH Darkoath battletome rules review is up for anyone curious as what boons they might get swearing their fealty to the ruinous powers.

the mounted lord was going bald so he wished for hair

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I don’t care how Just Kind Of OK they are, I love them and am gonna go broke making a Darkoath army for 4th.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
These rules basically only exist to get you by until 4.0 drops anyway so I wouldn't worry about them too much. Even if their warscrolls end up largely similar it'll be such a different context they exist in that you can't really draw many conclusions about them until the edition drops.

The only one that I think stands out is the fell riders because good light cav for screening and objectives isn't something they've had this edition.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
How do slaves to darkness work anyway? Can you just take a mix of darkoath guys with some chaos warriors or chosen, and not be ineffective because you didn't double down on one type of buff. Like I assume chaos warrior leader buffs warriors and darkoath benefit from their guys but I don't know the army.

It would be pretty rad having a principally darkoath army with a small core of warriors. All the chaos models are amazing actually, it would be a shame not to have a mix tbh.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah S2D has very powerful individual units that don't need much support. There are some buffing units like the Warshrine and the Sorcerer Lords but a unit of Chosen is a unit of Chosen and it's gonna hit like one. I think a pure Darkoath army will be possible but you won't be giving up much to just mix in some Darkoath units with your existing Chaos Warrior stuff. That's how old Warriors of Chaos played after all.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

JBP posted:

How do slaves to darkness work anyway? Can you just take a mix of darkoath guys with some chaos warriors or chosen, and not be ineffective because you didn't double down on one type of buff. Like I assume chaos warrior leader buffs warriors and darkoath benefit from their guys but I don't know the army.

It would be pretty rad having a principally darkoath army with a small core of warriors. All the chaos models are amazing actually, it would be a shame not to have a mix tbh.

As the rules currently stand, you should probably either run the DO foot unit and cav as cheap screens and objective grabbers in a heavier-duty S2D army filled with its regular good stuff. That probably will change in 4.0, because these specific rules were written long enough ago that there are units with points costs in multiples of five.

If you want to go crazy with cultists, you can, but you're going to be running a bunch of very flimsy units that can't hit very hard and relying on recursion to keep you on the board. The Ravagers subfaction lets you use your heroic action to bring back one dead cultist unit at half strength. The DO recursion will help with this somewhat, too. Ideally, this is the time you take Archaeon so that the unit fights before it dies, and you have something durable and punchy somewhere in your list. You're going to have an uphill battle ahead of yourself, though. You're also going to need about fifteen MSU of cultists, which is a lot of money and work in a short period of time.

TL;DR you can do the thing, but it's probably a smarter play to wait for 4.0 and see how you can do once subfactions go away. If you just like having a lot of little Conans on your shelf, do it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/22/grombrindal-returns-to-the-mortal-realms-to-celebrate-the-500th-issue-of-white-dwarf/

New anniversary, new anniversary model. This time it's White Dwarf celebrating 500 issues.

Possibly the one model with most cross compatability.

quote:

What’s more, he will receive Legends rules for use in Warhammer Age of Sigmar, alongside rules for Cursed City, Warcry, and Warhammer Underworlds.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Skaven ahoy

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Every new model they've shown off so far has only increased my interest in the launch box hopefully they keep this up!

Also that white dwarf rules haha

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I have been banging the drum of jezzails ignoring Look Out, Sir for ages, so this is mildly gratifying on a personal level. I am a little surprised to see the warlock engineer's not a wizard anymore, and that More More Warp Power is going to be highly situational as opposed to a general Skryre spell.

I have to assume this spotter-to-gunner arrangement is going to work out at slightly less long range for Cities armies as well.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah if theres no big price hike for the next box set it will be an incredible steal considering how much you get for it.

If someones goes for the two spearheads + rulebook it will cost 140+140+60 = 350

But the box set would have a roughly 1000 point armies for 200-250 rulebook included, pretty good deal

Leviathan is probably a good guideline since Dominion followed Indomitus pretty closely.

So I would guess a $250 limited box with an elite unit and hq not found in the spearhead for both sides.

Then a month later we'll get the tiered starters, with the ultimate starter being the $200 for two spearheads and some terrain. Though you'll be able to find it for $160-170

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

With all the homage figs they have been doing over the past couple years I am kinda surprised they didn't make a new version of that old Chieftain with Jezzail that everyone loves.