Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

But enough about the F&F thread whenever Soulbound was posted. :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They just to finish giving armies their spell models. Idoneth need a sharknado.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

There’s a lot of lingering bad blood between AOS players and TOW players in some corners, and part of that is due to the insane spreadsheet wars that saw beasts of chaos consigned to the land of square bases, but a lot of it is I think premised on a fundamental disconnect. Some fantasy players never got over the incredibly bad first impression AOS made, and some AOS players who never lived through that era just perceive that as baseless hostility to Their Game. AoS is pretty good now, and those who disagree are incorrect, but it was really, really, really bad once upon a time, and people who disagree with that are also incorrect in that belief.

Anyone who's still beefing with AoS players over it's initial launch just needs to grow the hell up

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cooked Auto posted:

But enough about the F&F thread whenever Soulbound was posted. :cheeky:

I greatly enjoyed that. I am glad some people were won over.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Just read the Goonhammer Article, holy poo poo what a miracle turnaround GW pulled off with AoS, I had no idea the launch was THAT bad, incredible that AoS didnt die there and then.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

I greatly enjoyed that. I am glad some people were won over.

I mean the write ups were good, the sneering over the setting got tiresome after a while because it would inevitably come up in one form or another.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

smug jeebus posted:

Anyone who's still beefing with AoS players over it's initial launch just needs to grow the hell up

It’s two-way, is my point. If you look at the beasts of chaos subreddit, there are posts saying “I’m really sorry guys, this sucks, but if you want to check out TOW, it’s really fun and here are some resources for getting into it,” and the response was “your game is garbage, I will never play it, I hope it dies soon.” And there’s no reason for this hostility!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I dunno i used to sneer at age of sigmars stormcasts and stuff but theyve won me over over the last couple months to the point that i might jump in at fourth edition with the launch box, theyve really done a great job of developing the world and look into something legitimately cool so i think people have too much free time if they hold onto grudges like that.

I would gladly try out ToW if i ever find myself with enough friends who are interested and money to try it out.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

smug jeebus posted:

It was rough. A game and setting I'd played for a long time, through eight editions, was gone and replaced with something that seemed like a silly, poorly thought out joke.

I like AoS now, but that was not a well handled transition.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

For my part, I blame GW, and I am not looking forward to sourcing Malign Power, for which I also blame them.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
They intentionally stopped production of the endless spell kits in China, presumably to restart production in the UK for 4.0. I'm sure they'll come back into easy access, just with a new box and a higher sticker price.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
I wonder if tzeentch will still have some sort of affinity for them

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Al-Saqr posted:

Just read the Goonhammer Article, holy poo poo what a miracle turnaround GW pulled off with AoS, I had no idea the launch was THAT bad, incredible that AoS didnt die there and then.

It kinda did. Of the three groups I played in or are close to, I can count on one hand the number of us that played before The End Times (so seventh or earlier) and stuck around to AoS2 or later. Almost all of the people in the AoS groups I run with are all new and The Old World is crazy poo poo to them (ranks? rank BONUSES?). Good thing the release firehose with ancillary poo poo like Necromunda and Underworlds came online about that time otherwise I feel like a lot more people I used to play with would have been lost to stuff like Napoleonics and Bolt Action.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

grassy gnoll posted:

They intentionally stopped production of the endless spell kits in China, presumably to restart production in the UK for 4.0. I'm sure they'll come back into easy access, just with a new box and a higher sticker price.

I think it was Vince on Warhammer Weekly that speculated that they're splitting up the endless spells into separate boxes that contain all the spells in that manifestation lore.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Seems almost certain they would do that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/05/01/introducing-spearhead-a-fast-and-furious-new-mode-for-newaos/

Spearhead info dump.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

The launch box being confirmed to be two spearheads is a great way to start the game. Legit playable right away. All of the existing vanguards/spearheads getting their own 4e rules too is fantastic.

One warscroll for the standard AoS game, and a modified warscroll for Spearhead balance is a neat way to do it.

It's nice to see that you can just buy one box and be able to play a mini-version of AoS. Like how Warcry just needs a single faction box to play.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ravendas posted:

The launch box being confirmed to be two spearheads is a great way to start the game. Legit playable right away. All of the existing vanguards/spearheads getting their own 4e rules too is fantastic.

One warscroll for the standard AoS game, and a modified warscroll for Spearhead balance is a neat way to do it.

isnt this what 40k already did? they split the game in two one for normal and one for combat patrol. are they doing something different?

If the launch box will come with the winged lady in the scion of the storms box that would be fantastic.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yndrasta is originally from the third edition launch box. :v:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Al-Saqr posted:

isnt this what 40k already did? they split the game in two one for normal and one for combat patrol. are they doing something different?

If the launch box will come with the winged lady in the scion of the storms box that would be fantastic.

This is very similar to that but with a deck of cards to randomize game setup.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Yndrasta is originally from the third edition launch box. :v:

Well she rocks so much it makes sense to include her twice, shes a standout model.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Al-Saqr posted:

Another slight difference is units getting different rules for Spearhead and the main game.

40k just used universal rules and so certain combat Patrols are unbalanced against others. To combat that 40k is remaking all their combat patrols to be more balanced. It's creating drag on sales because the main seller for a lot of kits was the discounted big units. New Combat Patrols have been fewer points, no big models and a smaller discount at larger price.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ohhh wait the board size for spearhead is as big as a kill team board? Thats pretty significant and smaller than 40k combat patrol, seems like they want immediate skirmish, nice!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Al-Saqr posted:

Ohhh wait the board size for spearhead is as big as a kill team board? Thats pretty significant and smaller than 40k combat patrol, seems like they want immediate skirmish, nice!

AoS has a lot less shooting than 40k.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Another slight difference is units getting different rules for Spearhead and the main game.

40k just used universal rules and so certain combat Patrols are unbalanced against others. To combat that 40k is remaking all their combat patrols to be more balanced. It's creating drag on sales because the main seller for a lot of kits was the discounted big units. New Combat Patrols have been fewer points, no big models and a smaller discount at larger price.

40k had different datasheets too. But stats generally stayed the same, so it was usually just removing special abilities to make them less complicated.

Ironically, AoS' lack of S-T tables may be its big advantage here. You could never get away with an Armiger CP like you can a little giant box for Spearhead.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The smaller board, branding of spearhead as an AoS killteam and sunsetting all the older Warcry bands does seem to support the rumors that GW is winding down support for Warcry.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The smaller board, branding of spearhead as an AoS killteam and sunsetting all the older Warcry bands does seem to support the rumors that GW is winding down support for Warcry.

I really hope not. The dice mechanics and the fast-paced objectives really make Warcry stand out. It really needs a balance pass as a lot of the factions feel a bit pillow-fisted or not as thought out as the more bespoke Warbands, but my group would hate to see Warcry go.

If anything, I was hoping its more fast paced system and ease of play would translate into a new edition of Killteam.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

So the spearhead card decks are going to be in the launch box? I really hope that’s not the only way to get them.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Funzo posted:

So the spearhead card decks are going to be in the launch box? I really hope that’s not the only way to get them.

For 40k, they made the Combat Patrol rules available free on Warhammer Community.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

The rules will be free online, yes. Toward the end of the article they say two decks of cards will be in the box, I assume they mean the launch box.

"Two decks of cards are included in the box – one that provides you with a Twist for each round, and another that gives you the ability to score Battle Tactics or use powerful command abilities. "

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
I like the rules for the Yndrasta spearhead, where she and the elites can’t show up before the third turn. Feels like they’re stretching their legs here compared to Combat Patrol, where you have stuff like e.g. the Custodes not actually being able to use the full box cos it couldn’t be balanced easily. This is more characterful.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Spearhead seems great. I looked at my army's spearhead and I'm only one unit of Bladelords away from having a painted spearhead army.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com...s-in-spearhead/

BATTLE BROT- I mean Battle Tactics!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Well, it seems like they put more thought into this than Combat Patrol, at least. I question if this is going to have any value as a teaching tool for 4.0, though.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
This is looking like a cool mode, the cards are a nice touch. We'll have to see how the balance ends up but it's pretty much clinching my interest in the box set.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

grassy gnoll posted:

Well, it seems like they put more thought into this than Combat Patrol, at least. I question if this is going to have any value as a teaching tool for 4.0, though.

I think it changes enough to be interesting without jeopardizing its teaching role. I hope rules from it can get expanded into a Maelstrom equivalent, though.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I don't know about teaching but it certainly is a lot easier to get an army painted up for that than a full game.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I like those more than the ones in the full game.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Talas posted:

I like those more than the ones in the full game.

Legitimately I feel like there's probably some kind of way to scale it up, though you'd need to deal with the fact that outside Spearhead you can just...use commands, rather than having to only use the ones on your cards. I'm feeling maybe your choice is between the tactics and bonus free commands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Mors Rattus posted:

Legitimately I feel like there's probably some kind of way to scale it up, though you'd need to deal with the fact that outside Spearhead you can just...use commands, rather than having to only use the ones on your cards. I'm feeling maybe your choice is between the tactics and bonus free commands?

Make them each two points imo, and cap scoring from them at 4 points per round. That lets them slot perfectly into the existing mission score system, and incentivizes accomplishing multiple without needing all three for a "perfect" round.

It also soft disincentivizes throwing too many free commands around, because at 12 cards across 5 rounds it'll eventually cut into your victory point totals. I don't think you need further cost on the orders from there. As is, it sounds vaguely comparable to discarding a secondary in 40k for an extra command point, albeit one you can only spend on a specific order.

Similarly, you can probably import the Spearhead style double turn by making it free for a 10 point gap instead of a 5 point one. Not too hard to scale up, and keeps the intent of only being free if you're already in a rough position.

For importing the twist deck, I could see appeal in a choice between picking the mission twist or hoping for a good draw. The devil you know vs the devil you don't. But by that point we're probably in silly territory.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 3, 2024