Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

grassy gnoll posted:

This really is the correct way for any product, but it's going to be particularly galling when they set up the production and distribution of the index info, and could just continue to update that as the means of errata distribution.

This is what drove me crazy with 40k! Seeing options literally disappear from the app one by one, especially when differences from the Index were small and especially-especially before codexes hit mass release, was agony. In an edition where the full rules were 100% free it felt like such an about face.

Anyway, y'all keep your double turn, though if you take it you don't get a battle tactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/29/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-what-is-the-priority-roll/

Time for everyone's favourite subject, priority rolls and the double turn.

And for those who wanted it removed, sadly no.

quote:

What’s more, it’s here to stay in the new edition – but the balance between risk and reward has become much more finely tuned. Now, in matched play battlepacks, when you choose to take a double turn, you give up your opportunity to pick a battle tactic for the turn

And here's the usual graph.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

quote:

“I often ask competitive players, playtesters, and influencers the same questions,” says Matt. “What they’d add to the game, what they’d change about it, and what they’d remove from it. By far, the number one answer to the last question is this: ‘not the double turn!’ Our players are fiercely loyal to this concept, to the point it’s become a bit of a rallying call!”

Yes, everyone demanded you keep the double turn. Sure.
I don't really mind it, but this seems odd.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

So the wording on taking the double turn is that you don't get to pick a battle tactic. Not, you don't get to score one. I think they're going to go to a 40k style system of drawing cards and choosing one. Taking the double means you just draw one and that's what you get.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Funzo posted:

It's what separates AoS from most miniature games, I guess.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Funzo posted:

This is probably a reference to LVO 2023, where the AoS players during the awards ceremony drunkenly chanted “Double turn! Double turn!”

like, it’s not wrong. AoS community by and large has embraced it for all its benefits and warts.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It is me, I am the double-turn defender. AOS is just a slower 40k derivative without it. I'm dumb as hell and I can still predictably control game tempo and whether or not I get doubled, so nobody else has an excuse.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/29/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-what-is-the-priority-roll/

Time for everyone's favourite subject, priority rolls and the double turn.

And for those who wanted it removed, sadly no.

And here's the usual graph.

Ok now that its laid out like this it makes sense

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

grassy gnoll posted:

It is me, I am the double-turn defender. AOS is just a slower 40k derivative without it. I'm dumb as hell and I can still predictably control game tempo and whether or not I get doubled, so nobody else has an excuse.

Very same.

As much as I'm excited by all the new changes and how similar it seems to some of the better aspects of 10th edition 40k so far, I'm glad there are some things that are distinctly AoS mechanics. Once you get a few games under your belt, it makes a lot more sense with how back and forth combat is.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

No errata is a good thing tbh. I spent $40 on my KO army book and if I actually used the book to make a list, said list would be illegal

I, too, would like the game to be broken and unplayable

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'm glad the priority roll is staying, I'm sad that apparently Battle Tactics are staying. Unless it's a totally reworked secondary mechanic thats just called Battle Tactics still.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Playing the Warcoda missions without battle tactics is the choice of champions at the moment. If you haven't given it a shot, it's totally free.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Double posting to say I got a natural demon prince and won my game tonight. Only took six-plus months of playing S2D weekly.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Double posting to say I got a natural demon prince and won my game tonight. Only took six-plus months of playing S2D weekly.

Its ok you got the double turn dice roll mechanic in the AOS thread so youre clear to double post

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Geisladisk posted:

I, too, would like the game to be broken and unplayable

The real solution is to phase out rulebooks but GW ain't gonna do that

If they're going to, say, sell Premium Limited Edition army books with each new release, you should be able to use the thing you bought for its intended purpose until the next book comes out

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The real solution is to phase out rulebooks but GW ain't gonna do that

Agreed, but we both know they're not gonna do that.

If they're going to, say, sell Premium Limited Edition army books with each new release, you should be able to use the thing you bought for its intended purpose until the next book comes out

In a perfect world, yes, but we both know they can't write rules that bulletproof on the first go and I think both of us agree that having a functional game is more important than not ~invalidating my book~

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I would gladly make every single battletome useless within seconds of release if it meant the game was decently balanced

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Geisladisk posted:

Agreed, but we both know they're not gonna do that.

In a perfect world, yes, but we both know they can't write rules that bulletproof on the first go and I think both of us agree that having a functional game is more important than not ~invalidating my book~

Honestly I'd be amazed if anyone wrote rules bulletproof on the first go, especially for a game that's hella expansive and dragged down by decades of design cruft. Look at the free wargear decision, where you can see the freaking tree rings on how different kits from different eras respond to the change. Look at how Codex: Marines has maybe five times the models any faction reasonably needs, and that's after a surprising amount of purges on the old range. Honestly AoS is lucky for having way less of that built-in bloat. And even then it's nearing a decade, with like two dozen armies under its belt.

And then with how the games' release schedules work, those rulesets need to remain bulletproof across 2-3 years of codex and battletome releases. Indexhammer helps because it at least lets everyone start the ed on the same foot, but then that hits its own problems. If not a lot changes, you wonder even more why you're paying for rules when 80% of them are going to line up 1 to 1 with the free release you just got. If a lot does change, suddenly we're back to the same old question of power creep and design scope changing over the span of an edition.

Killing codexes and battletomes, or at least their physical book versions, honestly seems like the only way to square the circle. But you'd need to convince GW the soft gain (more people trying more factions due to free rules) and reduced costs (no longer needing to do all that printing and shipping) are worth not having the direct book revenue.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

looking at the costs, it seems like if the ultimate exclusive launch edition box will be like leviathan and cost 280 bucks or so it's probably a much better deal overall than buying two spearheads and the core rules, I'd be saving almost 100 dollars or so in total. the problem is of course it's that you can only have Stormcasts and Skaven, but as a way to try the game with all it's potential it seems like the best deal overall.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

There's a lot of support for age of sigmar on table top simulator, you could try 3rd edition without putting up any money.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

There's a lot of support for age of sigmar on table top simulator, you could try 3rd edition without putting up any money.

Ok ill just wait until 4th is out and try it then

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I am considering geting into AoS this year. I want to build an army mostly consisting of a few large monster-ish units. From what I can see, I can actually build a Stormcast Eternal army consisting entirely of dragons, which can be extended with various other monster-looking cavalry or dragon-ish units. That sounds really cool. Any other monster armies I should consider? I don't care at all about these armies being good, as long as they are actually playable.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Athas posted:

I am considering geting into AoS this year. I want to build an army mostly consisting of a few large monster-ish units. From what I can see, I can actually build a Stormcast Eternal army consisting entirely of dragons, which can be extended with various other monster-looking cavalry or dragon-ish units. That sounds really cool. Any other monster armies I should consider? I don't care at all about these armies being good, as long as they are actually playable.

The other two that are probably even closer to what you are looking for are Sons of Behemat or the Beastclaw Raiders section of Ogor Mawtribes

Sons is an all Giant army that is largely analogous to Knights in 40k, Jack and the Beanstalk meets Attack on Titan vibes

Beastclaw Raiders are a bit more of a "normal army" especially because they can pull in the more standard Mawtribes units or their own super heavy cavalry Mournfang but they really like having entire armies of Ogres riding Stonehorns and Thundertusks (sometimes affectionately called "Monster Trucks") , much more a "Ice Age Neanderthal" look going on here

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Athas posted:

Sons of Behemat can do a literal 4 figure army if you like big ugly giants. Flesh eater courts can do a monster mash with the Gristlegore sub faction and spam Zombie Dragons and Terrorgheists. There’s also quite a few armies out there that aren’t exactly all monsters but can have 75% of their points tied up in a few big heroes (sylvaneth, Ossiarch Bonereapers, anything with Nagash). Herohammer is real and it is everywhere

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 30, 2024

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Thanks for the responses. I did have a previous look at the SoB, but I don't really like their models. They're big, sure, but they don't really scratch the monster vibe, as they just look like goons huge dudes. I'm mostly interested in models with a more monstrous look; in particular like these:

(Plus the various Stormcast cavalry that really look like dragons with the serial numbers filed off.)

I really look the solid, chunky look of most of these monsters, but I also like the elegance of the Stormdrake Guard - they look like the covers of old Dragonlance books.

Those Beastclaw Raiders really do look very cool too. I'll have to take a second look.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Do people here just not know about the very good AoS app? Rulebooks are cool and all, but once I get the code out of the back I would never take it to a game again. And it has the warscrolls for everything for free, so it covers most of what you need to know about other armies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Stormcast Stormdrakes and Star Dragons are pretty great

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Age of Sigmar just loves its big centerpiece models and giant monsters. Even with Skaven, I can bring an army with only a handful of big monsters and I would not be handicapped for it if played right. Most factions I can think of can go big without too much trouble.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Stormcast Stormdrakes and Star Dragons are pretty great

Stormdrakes and Annihilators are literally the models that got me to start the faction

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Athas posted:

(Plus the various Stormcast cavalry that really look like dragons with the serial numbers filed off.)

I really look the solid, chunky look of most of these monsters, but I also like the elegance of the Stormdrake Guard - they look like the covers of old Dragonlance books.

Those Beastclaw Raiders really do look very cool too. I'll have to take a second look.

If you like the old blocky SCE dragons, you might want to wait a few more months. A lot of that very early line of SCE models are rumored to be getting refreshes with 4.0. Obviously, nobody knows anything for certain right now, but you may have the option of getting newer fancier sculpts, or grabbing the older ones you like for cheap on the secondary market.

The SCE army of renown is a relatively cheaper way to get the new dragons, plus Ionis, who looks sweet as.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Do people here just not know about the very good AoS app? Rulebooks are cool and all, but once I get the code out of the back I would never take it to a game again. And it has the warscrolls for everything for free, so it covers most of what you need to know about other armies.

The app is great, I just wish the unlock codes costed less.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Athas posted:

Thanks for the responses. I did have a previous look at the SoB, but I don't really like their models. They're big, sure, but they don't really scratch the monster vibe, as they just look like goons huge dudes. I'm mostly interested in models with a more monstrous look; in particular like these:

Another army to consider is the Troggoths of the Gloomspite Gitz. You can field an entire army of big, dopey looking trolls now that Trugg the Troggoth King has his own army creation rules. Still sort of guys, but not as much as the SoB figures.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/31/sunday-preview-nightmares-pyres-and-gnomes/

A bunch of Warcry pre-orders coming next weekend.

And I honestly can't remember when they revealed the models for the Pyre and Flood box.
If they even have done so. :v:

Either way, (a)elves versus ghosts.

Meanwhile Wildercorps Hunters and Gorger Mawpack are getting standalone releases, as is the terrain from one or two boxes ago too.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mors Rattus posted:

The app is great, I just wish the unlock codes costed less.

Oh yeah, huge same. If I could just get the code for $20 bucks that would be fantastic.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Marmaduke! posted:

It's one of those rules that I've just never liked for what it's designed to do. So you're telling me if I have a unit of 3 boltboys, then after the first dies, I roll a dice and if a 6 comes up the other 2 basically die as well? I know it won't happen very often but cmoooon. Just have the unit be unable to shoot or charge or whatever

The whole bravery system in general just doesn't really work, which is a shame because there's some theoretically fun rules that could impact it. Feels like they can't figure out a way to balance it without it being potentially way too punishing, but there are so many ways to buff bravery that I think it could be a fun layer of decision-making if they did some more interesting stuff with it.

There are like 2 or 3 armies in the entire game where bravery ever matters outside of extremely unlucky edge cases, and several armies have rules that interact with bravery that I basically never get to see go off.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/01/thank-bribe-your-loved-ones-with-our-shiny-bright-new-warpstone-jewellery-range/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gJx4rTR5nI

GW is now expanding into the jewelry market. You will buy purchase ones yes?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/02/liberators-reforged-heed-sigmars-call-with-the-first-miniature-of-the-new-edition/

We get our first model showcase for the new edition, even if it's more just a confirmation of what we already kind of knew.
In this case the updated look of the new Liberators.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Ugh these guys are just the basing bits, I want to see the rats GW.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/02/liberators-reforged-heed-sigmars-call-with-the-first-miniature-of-the-new-edition/

We get our first model showcase for the new edition, even if it's more just a confirmation of what we already kind of knew.
In this case the updated look of the new Liberators.

Genuinely looks so much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Looks like way less of a bitch to paint