Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Geisladisk posted:

Actually are we sure marked Slaves units don't count as being in-faction amymore? They have the appropriate keyword.

Because If they don't then nobody except Slaves can take Archaon anymore.

This and the battleline thing would invalidate a huge number of Chaos armies which doesnt feel like something they'd do.

Marked Slave units and the 1 in 4 Cities thing is now covered by Coalition rules. Coalition units work normally for everything as part of your faction, but can’t be taken as battleline.

E: oddly, Har Kuron appears to have both Coalition Daughters and allied Daughters, so you can run half your army Daughters I guess?

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Baumann posted:

I'm in an area with a pretty big AoS scene and 3.0 seems as good a time as any to start. I like the idea of having a skeleton horde with Soulblight Gravelords and Ray Harryhausening it up. Is it possible to run a skeleton heavy list or are the real stars of the army the vampires in charge?

Wight King and Grave Guard can make skeletons work fairly well - Grave Guard are Skeletons, But Elite, and Wight Kings are your skeleton heroes. If you bring vampires, Legion of Blood has synergies between skellies and vampires, but Legion of Night works for an all-skeleton list because your Deathrattle get a save bonus first round and you can use your Wight King and Grave Guard and Black Knights as ambush like you would any LoN units. Unlike LoB, it doesn't require vampires to get the most use of skeletons.

The Wight King's CA lets Deathrattle units wholly within 12" reroll 1s on attacks in melee. On foot he's a bit more fragile, but his melee does MWs on 6s. On steed, he deals MW on charges.

Black Knights and Grave Guard are both pretty good - a little fragile, but Deathless Legions will keep them coming back. Deathrattle basics are weak but very, very hard to get rid of permanently. You may want to bring a Necromancer for some magical support, and if you do go Legion of Blood you'll want a Vampire Lord and some other vampire units to take advantage of the Deathrattle/Vampire synergies of the faction.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's a big pile of wounds with a ton of attacks, and unlike most monsters it can heal itself. So that's cool. Its unique spell is...well, it's a big gamble. But as a big vampire monster, it's pretty good at killing things. Loves to charge at enemies, and in the new rules that's going to be pretty good for being both a hero and a monster.

It's over 400 points, tho.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

US doesn't appear to have access to the queue or Dominion yet. Supposed to go up at 10 PST, so around 1 PM EST.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Got my order in. Dominion, Objective set, two sets of foldout boards.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It would be weirder if the folks writing the games didn’t take influence from their work on the other.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ogors got pretty big price bumps except for Thundertusks, but they didn’t get any stat changes. With the new tricks for priests, I’m actually thinking of running a Thundertusk over two Stonehorns, myself. Gonna be a bit before I’m sure how the points increases shake out, though - with almost everyone getting them across the board, and the general shrinking of unit sizes overall, I don’t think our good big boys will be particularly weak.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Two sets of boards are so I have enough for 2000 point play. One set is sufficient for 1000 points.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Warpfire teams especially are really good now if you can get them in position for Unleash Hell.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Vampires plus skellies is an entire vamp subfaction these days. Gloomspite is your main go-to for goblins now and the new changes have made it unclear how they’re going to shake out - there’s going to be experimentation now that they can5 just stack to hit mods. I expect them to roll heavier magic and use endless spells more.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Deleter posted:

I just want to make it clear that the Kruleboyz own and I will brook no dissent in this thread. I didn't buy Dominion because I'm currently wrestling with wtf to do with my Deepkin at the moment, which is probably "wait 2+ years for GW to and give us a new battletome", but that's not a knock on the box itself.

Oh yeah they own hard, I’m looking at finding good 3d prints to make Long Orcs as a combined force, in part because I refuse to allow the Bonesplitterz sculpts near my person and in part because Long Waaaaaaagh

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm honestly super looking forward to the Path to Glory changes and what they plan to do with new battlepacks. Points changes mean I'm having to rework lists, but it's a great feeling to actually want to use a Huskard on Thundertusk or a Saurus army.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

They definitely want smaller armies and a more cramped board. I think it’s a good thing - they seem to be trying to encourage variety in units, and I like that aesthetically.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

KO are great, and 3.0 is patching one of the bigger weaknesses of non-Nar armies by adding greater ability to counter spells with heroic actions. Your big fear is mortal wounds.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Business Gorillas posted:

This is helpful but doesn't really explain why they had to blow up fantasy instead of just do to fantasy what they ended up doing to AoS

That’s because it wasn’t a rational decision, it was a decision made by people who thought video games of their setting were competition to the minis game.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Grand Alliances don’t seem mechanically supported any more, though the concept still exists.

And yes, it’s good that there’s actually room for Mesoamerican-styled human beings, with Seraphon now taking on more of a Space Angel/Stargate aesthetic to their stone tech

E: the Realms ain’t going away, tho, they’re even reemphasizing origin realm for armies now.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I’m mostly wondering how the hell Darkoath lack of Marks and their interaction with the Favor of the Dark Gods stuff managed to avoid being clarified again.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Coalition units can now be used as battleline unless a battlepack specifically disallows it, so they walked that one back fast.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Geisladisk posted:

Oh word? Is that in the FAQ somewhere?

Core Rules FAQ

E: the only thing they can’t do seems to be be your General.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Apparently Pitched Battles 2021 battlepack disallows it tho, so…???

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

On the other hand, they had to remember to add Dragon to the dark elves on dragons.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I love this weird lizard-ape.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nurgle and Idoneth are probably the books most direly in need.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Right now your only method is by hand, I think.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I just desperately want Bonesplitterz to get less racist sculpts. So much. They're so loving bad.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Froghammer posted:

Stormcast armor painted literally anything other than gold always looks amazing and makes the models pop

It’s amazing how the default is the worst, yeah.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Unclear at the moment because the Orruk book isn't out yet and the FAQ on the Orruks is probably the most lacking one.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So that’s what a thousand dollars in plastic looks like.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think it's down to whether Kragnos gets the Warmaster trait from the FAQs, in the same way Nagash gets appropriate keywords based on what army you take him in from that.

e: Overall though, I'd suggest just waiting a month to see what Ironjawz magic looks like.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I’m still shocked they’re an upper tier army in the new rules now. It’s pretty great, honestly.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

AnEdgelord posted:

You can probably ally the goblins in but greenskins have actually been split into two factions with the Orcs going into 'Orruk Warclans' (which is the faction the models in the starter box belong to) and all the Goblins and Trolls getting their own faction called 'Gloomspite Gitz'.

There’s a bunch of gobs and at least one troll in Kruleboyz, tho. Sloggoth’s the biggest troll they’ve done, in fact, with a bunch of goblins riding on its back.

E: two trolls. There’s the swamp trogg mounted orruk boss, too. Pity hobgrots suck.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I wish they had female sculpts for that unit, my girlfriend wants one to be Stormcast Noi.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Closest you'll get are the Ossiarch Bonereapers, who are kind of Byzantine legions of undead skeleton supermen created from artisanal bone and soul sculpting to conquer the world in the name of Skeletor.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I can only speak for myself, but I loving love the Kruleboyz.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Loving the vulture but no matter which build I go for it's gonna have the helmet head.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The footnote is about the vulture.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

That's probably the new dragons.

It is narratively annoying that the Seraphon victory is to give the Stormcast new mounts, tho.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sharkopath posted:

Aren't the old ironjaw orruks just the 7th edition black orc models?

I love those guys.

Ironjawz are the ones wearing the big scrap power armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Gonna be neat to see them try to stat Asavar Kul and Magnus the Pious.