Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Have they made available any information on new unit sizes or related changes?

I've got 30 Ossiarch infantry with swords made and another box. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to run two units of 20 or make this other box into spearmen...

Stuff in progress. I finished five of the infantry and a couple of the spells.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Furism posted:

There was a book in the Soul Wars (I think) series where you get the perspective of a Khorne Reaver. And Jesus that was a mind-gently caress. You "embrace" Khorne by, among other things, becoming a cannibal out of self-preservation. Like if they capture your group, they might keep a few people alive, and if these captives will eat the flesh of their fallen friends then the Reavers take them in. At first you fake it but then you develop a Stockholm's syndrome I guess and embrace it.

Orruks don't do any of that poo poo. They bash your head in and move on. They're not evil, I think, just completely nuts and "fight-thirsty" (more than "blood-thirsty", if that makes sense). They get bloody because they fight, but they don't fight because they want blood.

That was the very first book in AoS, Gates of Azyr. That guy did end up getting turned into a Khorgorath, IIRC.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I just woke up. 8:30 AM here. Is it already gone?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm working on a boneboyz army now, so the changes seem strange. I don't think we needed a new edition. 2.0 worked well and had a lot of steam behind it. Now we've got to wait a full cycle for books to catch up again? Seems like as soon as the game gets in a good place, they flip the table a bit.

↓↓↓ What else are goons gonna do while we wait for our books to arrive?

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 23, 2021

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there any way to unbend a base? One of the 60? mm bases is bent in half pretty decently that came with Dominion (and an arm to something fell out)

You could try a heat gun and be very careful, but it's really hard. Once I warp a base I usually just replace it. They are pretty cheap to find online.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

GreenBuckanneer posted:

you can see the bottom box is warped but the top box is fine, so I'm thinking it was pre-shipment

That is really strange. I've never seen a base warped like that out of a box and I've been in the hobby for 30 years.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
What do you think is behind the way allies are assigned? Orruks can only ally with Gloomspite. That's fine, but seems a little strange they can't ally with Ogors. In some sense, I don't understand why you couldn't just ally across your Grand Alliance (outside of taking a GA army).

Similar story for Bonereapers, who can't ally with anyone, but have pretty decent lore reasons why they might ally with Nighthaunt at the very least (and given they co-occupy territory with Gravelords you could make a case for that as well).

As far as gameplay reasons, maybe they are trying to avoid weird degenerate combos, but the game seems pretty resilient to that kind of thing given keyword restrictions?

These questions mostly come from a Path of Glory perspective.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The mirebrute troggoth is a cool model to tie together Orruks with some Goblin allies.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Bonesplitterz seem like the kind of faction GW likes to sunset by decapitating their rules, if they think the models are too old and they don't plan on updating them.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Finished up a seasonal model. Also have 10 kavaloi about 70% done. They are taking many hours to finish, but this Harvester wasn't too bad and I could probably spend several more hours just doing details and cleanup. The shape of this thing makes it hard to photograph.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Skaven is one faction that hasn't seen a lot of new model support. They are likely due for attention, so they might not be the best to pick up right now.

The four other factions you mention are either new to AoS (Lumineth, a lot of, but not all of Gloomspite, the mortal side of Hedonites) or have been refreshed that your buying won't be at risk. However, the new Slaves to Darkness chaos warriors are monopose and you may have to fall back on the older kit to beef up your army.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Bonereapers getting an update:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ossiarchbonereapers/comments/s4v6uw/new_rules_from_latest_white_dwarf/

https://www.goonhammer.com/white-dwarf-472-the-tome-celestial-ossiarch-bonereapers/

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 17, 2022

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
While reading the Witch Elf codex last night, I notice they talk about Morathi changing all the statues of Khaine to be female in form. There's a concept sketch of this in the book and also very few images of the boob-out medusa. I assume this means a new kit for the cauldron/khaine/medusa is in the works for some point in the future?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

smug jeebus posted:

If your timeline extends out to 2035, sure

Maybe not so crazy now!

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The beast eye quivers

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
What the...pre reading a module is grounds for group ejection imho. That just ruins the point for everyone.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It seems like GW sometimes uses the Underworlds bands as a dry run for potential new units or refreshes, so it's not necessarily a sign that Skaven won't get anything later down the line. If the rumors are true the Ossiarchs are getting two new units that were from their warband, and for Seraphon it seems like it was an obvious opportunity to show off what the new Chameleons will look like in the future.

Still waiting for those Ossiarch archers...

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Chainclaw posted:

Finished 5 more crossbow ghosts, the five on the right. This will probably be it for Age of Sigmar a bit, I've got a huge 40k backlog to get back to.

This puts me at over 4,000 points of painted ghosts.

These look really great!

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Talas posted:

I really like that new Khorne warband, the main guy has some Mayan vibes. Oh, and I'm glad they changed the art for the new battletomes, the others look very lazy with the same art as the 2.0 tomes.

I absolutely love those guys. The brutal Mayan feel is a great take for beast realm inspired Khorne.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

GreenBuckanneer posted:

They made a ton of boxes like indomitus but it didn't sell much and they're trying to get rid of stock

my LGS still has five copies

It wasn't really a box you'd have a reason to buy multiples of, unfortunately.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Astrolith icon has a bit of genestealer vibe.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Mors Rattus posted:

I think TOW is nice for letting Brets and Tomb Kings exist again because those models own.

I'd prefer they found a reason to stick them into Sigmar.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
My favorite part of the Sigmar setting at the moment is the eightpoints region, where you've got eight wedge shaped chaos planes with different corrupted cultures and a big rear end evil city at the center. That bit has a planescape feel to it I like. There are some other cool and kinda gonzo ideas like the continents of Ghur eating each other. Or the giant molten waterfall of steel kept from solidifying by a world sized dragon.

I like that they have pushed away from a lot of fantasy tropes and are trying out a bunch of new ideas.

What I don't like is the GPT level fantasy story spew that fills most of the battletomes. Some care could go into building up and fleshing things out in a way that gave it weight, but right now everything has a kind of uniform unimportance. This city dies there are infinitely more... That culture falls there are infinitely more... What is important? 40k does a lot of the same stuff, though.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm hoping to hear some Bonereaper news... I figure we'll just get one new model and a book, but it would be nice to be updated.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

lol poor Ossiarchs, they've been waiting for archers forever and they get another goddamn foot wizard instead.

We've got a lot of foot wizards! But drat, they didn't want to talk much about the army.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The Morghasts predated the OBR aesthetic and while the army takes some cues from their armor styling, the Morghasts themselves don't entirely fit the style of the army. Having a wizard who is assembling a Morghast Archai head helps tie them into the rest of the army. Seems like purposeful design.

Not sure how this new guy will keep up with Morghasts unless he can fly fast...

I'll have to post my OBR soon, I've got about 2000 points painted and have all the infantry done so really it's just a few big pieces left.

Question for you all, when it comes to well defined characters like Nagash, when you see them painted in the style of an army instead of their lore scheme, does that seem jarring or weird? I'd like to paint Nagash but I'm not sure whether to make him match my army or do him in his traditional purple. I know I can paint him however I want, I'm just not convinced painting him differently will look good.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I notice Nagash has six skulls on his belt and six spinal cords on his back. Any significance to that? Were they previous kings he overthrew like Anasurimborian decapitants?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Genghis Cohen posted:

What on earth are those? Google tells me nothing.

Edit: I mean "Anasurimborian decapitates" although I have no idea about the nagash thing either.

Oh sorry Google Anasurimbor Kellhus. A character from a series of fantasy novels. He has two demon heads on his belt, the decapitants, who talk to him later in the series. I thought maybe the heads on Nagash belt had some story significance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Dead again? How did that happen.