Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Did they do literally nothing about the double turn in the core rules? It’s completely insane to me if that’s the case. The overwatch thing doesn’t address it at all (in some ways it makes it worse imo).

The only reason I can think of is that one of the important people at GW who originally came up with it, has an incredible amount of pride invested in the double turn, in a principle skinner “it’s the children who are all wrong”-style denial of reality. Actually the double is good! I don’t care what most players, from casual to competitive, thinks! They are all wrong.

Also I hate the rally ability, I’d like some more potentially incredible impactful rng to go with my already stupidly impactful rng. Yo, could you add some more game deciding rng to my aos please? Maybe it’s a smaller deal than I think it is.

Anyway, other than that I like 3.0, it’s very slick and clear compared to previous. It looks like I’m going to be the only one in my group playing it still though, which sucks since a bunch of them were poised to be lured back in to the fantasy side of things and I wouldn’t have to go to tournaments by myself etc. Double turn is just a hard no, especially since there doesn’t actually appear to anything done to mitigate it. Like, at all. Maybe there will be new command abilities that lets you activate a unit in the movement phase? In the charge phase? Anything GW? Anything at all? For the love of god, I’m grasping at straws here.

e: vv usually people argue that the double-turn requires skill and expertise to take advantage of, making it harder, not easier for a weaker player to win once in a while. Personally I just think it's one of the dumbest mechanics (top 3 at least) ever invented in the history of board games, let alone warhammer games - that includes combat resolution. I'm not even exaggerating, though obviously it's just like; my opinion. I know literally no one irl who doesn't think it's good mechanic. A couple of people are like 'meh', but most thinks it's lame.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I've actually been looking a cheapish ways to start a new army, despite having too many armies already and no-one in my group really wants to play 3rd ed, so I'm going for pug games and tournies alone :sad:

Anyway,

Outside double box of flesh-eater courts and beast claw raiders already mentioned;

Ogres can make a fairly cheap (by GW/hobby standards) 1000 point army, even without using the beast claw raiders start collecting. 1 tyrant, 1 butcher, 2 x ironguts boxes and 1 glutton box and it's about 1000 points for not much more than 2 start collecting beast claw boxes. It's not a bad start for an foot ogre army either. Add some more iron guts, a slaughter master, a couple of lead belchers, maybe the beast grave warband + some random man-eaters for the rule of cool and it's a fun and not awful 2000 point army. Or add a single beast claw raider box for cavalry oomf. Obviously not going to win many tournaments, but it's AOS so it's mainly janky and gimmicky lists that win tournaments anyway. The meatgrinder warglutt battleforce box might still be out there somewhere. It was like an amazing and "cheap" start for non-beast claw ogres imo.

1 box of flesh-eaters + 1 box of ghouls + 1 abhorrant archregent is cheaper than two start collecting boxes and makes a decent 1000 points. Except you need to wait till one of your units dies until you can use the archregent ability. Add another SC box ontop of this+ a vargulf or something, eventually and you got a pretty decent army.

I also kinda like 2 daughters of khaine boxes, even if it's a little weird. You only get 10 snake ladies, so you'd need an extra box of 5 if you want 3 battle line units (at a 1000 points you only need two though irrc), and maybe the new ironscale melusai. Eventually more snake ladies are needed. You can kinda hack the boxes a little, and get an avatar on top of the shrine and with some clever magnetization, you got a lot of options for hag queen on foot or on the shrine and so on. If you don't like snake ladies, it's not the way to go.

My least favorite, that still kinda works, is 2 of the new soul blight start collecting boxes. It's also around 1000+ points, and while the black knights are terrible currently, that might change, and the 20 grave guard from each box is quite cool. Main problem is that you'd have to add a bunch of extra pretty pricy stuff to have a good and/or interesting army and you don't need two horse wights.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I’m a little unsure what the driving principle behind the points changes is? I guess all monsters got more expensive, which makes sense with the new rules.

There seems to be other things going on. Like, it looks like one of the principles is: ‘gently caress, tzeentch in particular, gently caress skaven, gently caress khorne, gently caress ogres, also gently caress gloomspite. Oh and haha, no we won’t stop even though he is clearly already dead, gently caress beasts of chaos’.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
There is a bunch of stuff about 3.0 that seems really haphazard and which I feel like could have been avoided simply by thinking through them a little more. Nixing battalions that is the only way to really run some (sub)factions. Reinforcement mechanic being real wonky and punishing for a lot of armies. The command point changes, without thinking about the boneboys who just randomly get mega-dunked. The points changes without rhyme or reason as it relates to the current balance - like gently caress beasts of chaos? The coherency rules also gently caress some factions (again, gently caress beasts of chaos - together with the reinforcement change, gors are your elite hitting unit now). I have to wonder how long it’ll be till some of those factions get books, years I assume.

Separately, I also think none of the things they introduced had much of an impact on the double turn, it’s just as dumb and game deciding as it’s always been. In a way overwatch made it worse because shooting armies already benefited the most from two turns in a row, for the most part being able to near-table the opponent if they got the double turn.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
The comparison is probably not to cursed city but more to the 40k box, which GW also kinda compared it to. That one sold out in hours and they had to do a super special extra run for half a year, despite an immense amount of reassurance that there would be more than enough for everyone before the launch. There hype for 9 was real, and space marines are way more popular than sigmarines.

Personally, I think it’s fine that they for once in their lives did not underestimated the demand. I did think that the tokens were a super special ‘limited offer’ thing that only was going out with the very first boxes, in which case it is a little weird they’re still available. Maybe that’s not the case.

I think the kinda lukewarm general 3.0 reception (compared to 2.0 which everyone seemingly loved) as well as the ‘wtf?’-reaction many had to the points changes, will have put some people of getting the starter box.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Haha, I don’t know why people listen heywoah on those things. He has continually been wrong in his predictions of anything from how the meta will change after a new army book to how specific ability/unit interactions will have a massive impact. Way more than he is right. Also, in that video he talks about how GW has learned from fantasy, and is increasing the model points cost, to reduce the number of models, to avoid pricing people out of the hobby, and cause the veterans to tell new people to get their models from 3D printing and china. It’s about the dumbest analysis of a GW points increase I’ve ever heard. Like, have you seen the success of 40k? Because you clearly have no idea about what the relative costs of a fantasy was, or why it was played less and less. Anyway, his analysis of current meta okay, and kinda funny, sometimes.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I think it’s a good/great thing - I don’t know how big a change it actually is, since battalions are free and I haven’t done the math on a lot of builds yet, but at a glance I kinda wish the increase was more. Also, some armies are disproportionately affected by it which is a shame, I guess that’s inevitable though.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
It’s always annoyed me that people were so quick to point to how popular aos was compared to wfb, when there is no indication that was actually the case, other than GW marketing, and even they were reluctant. More importantly there was a general increase in the popularly of miniature war game. 40k skyrocketed into ‘out of this world’ popular; in the same time period as aos has been doing ‘fine’. Like, there is a control comparison right there. The scifi version of the same game is exploding in popularly, several other miniature war games (including fantasy games) become very popular, while the aos is just doing fine.

I don’t think wfb would have been more popular at all though (without massive changes), and personally I think aos is vastly superior for game mechanics - except for the double turn, which in 3.0, after several games now, still sucks and hasn’t really changed in any appreciable manner - it’s just weird how people are so insistent that aos is so much more successful when there is no evidence of this, and in fact has been more or less unchanged in popularly in a period where there has been an explosion in miniature war games in general.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Good Lord. Warscroll builder being maintained by a single dude who isn’t even an employee is so peak GW I don’t even know. Billion dollar company and it’s like the only IT related thing they have that doesn’t suck poo poo. Of course it’s fan-made. Even their bog standard community web page is kinda lovely. I guess the online store is okay.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Cursed city sold out mega fast, but something definitely went wrong with that and they probably had less of those than the wanted to have. I don’t think it helped sales that 3.0 felt a bit rushed, with a bunch of stuff being borked and wonky at release, though most of that is fixed now. Not saying that the game is dead btw, before someone goes all Reddit on me. I think that, unless they went with a wildly different sales strategy than they normally do, they definitely overestimated demand.

It’s also probably because 40k is so much more popular in general and they just can’t keep up with demand for that. I can’t remember the last time they did a limited 40k box that didn’t sell out extremely fast. The super overpriced blood of the phoenix I guess. The new ork box sold out within an hour just this weekend, despite being just orks. I think a couple of the more boring christmas boxes also stayed around, but most of them were gone instantly.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Holy poo poo. That model is amazing. If I didn’t have too many already, and only pugs to play, I’d totally start an army of mean orks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Hah, I didn't even notice that happened. They purged all the downloadable pdfs from the store. Talk about a stupid backwards move by a stupid backwards company. Good lord.