Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Is Age of Sigmar: Fury of the Deep, the new box with Idoneth and Fire Dwarves a limited time release? Or will it be available for the foreseeable future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Limited, like all previous battleboxes.

Good to know. I wasn't seeing it on GW's website so was worried I missed it. I kind of didn't want to buy it right now and would have preferred to wait, but was able to get a copy on Amazon for 144. So I guess I lucked out!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Finished the last model of Morgwaeth's Blade-coven yesterday.
Got them as a gift from a friend last year and I hate that it took me until now to finally get them painted up.

I really don't like painting fully assembled models, especially when they're so twisty like some of these are. But it's kinda hard to do subassemblies with the Underworld models.

Yeah painting any model with thin whips makes me nervous. I want to make some sort of painting handle with a protective cage that somehow still lets me apply paint.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Good to know. I wasn't seeing it on GW's website so was worried I missed it. I kind of didn't want to buy it right now and would have preferred to wait, but was able to get a copy on Amazon for 144. So I guess I lucked out!

Amazingly already got my order, less than 24 hours after placing it. This modern world has some marvelous convenience sometimes. I only wish I had a local store to buy paint from. The closest is probably 70 miles away or so.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have a turtle but I am too scared to paint it!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

This is just the excuse I need to continue not painting my turtle.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I would be interested to know how many people actually play the game. I collect, assemble, and occasionally paint the models, and that is the most fun portion for me. I might get a few games in per edition. The army list gives me an interesting guide in how I collect my miniatures, and provides a fun thought experiment, but again, that portion, for me, significantly outweighs how much actually playing I will do. If the models were ugly and low end would anyone play age of sigmar or anything by GW? I really find it to be a hobby with a game attached as a bonus option.

That being said, a fair number of people must play the game because the releases are obviously designed to entice sales. Each release either shakes up an army, adds power creep, or some combination of that until there needs to be a big reset and a new edition launched. Or in the case of WHFB it gets to the point where they just say "gently caress your models and your armies, we're doing something different now".

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

They look good, did you use mordant earth for the bases?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

abravemoose posted:

Yep, mordant earth. Trying for something that looks like volcanic ash over ice.

Did you have any problems with it damaging the pigment or paint underneath? I saw a review and someone mentioned that, and that they thought it might work better with a varnish coat applied. Yours look like the paint was fine, did you varnish the base colors first?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

abravemoose posted:

The base's paint is coated in transparent craft glue to increase cracklyness, so I've avoided that issue. I wasn't aware it damages paints but thanks for mentioning it.

Yeah, I read this article and it seems kind of hard to describe, but I guess the mordant earth can suck up pigment from the paint and cause it to look milky and broken?

https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-base-everything-the-floor-is-lava/

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like game stores only exist in two opposite forms; those that are strongly inclusive and have a bunch of interesting people who feel comfortable shopping and gaming there, and are therefore likely closed to in-person still, or those stores people go to get swastika decals to make their armies look "more historically accurate" and have 40k armies festooned in various "dark energy runes", and unsurprisingly those places are full of chuds without masks.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

These posts have made me feel very old.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

But it comes with a free Frogurt!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Marmaduke! posted:

Total Warhammer is free on epic games at the mo, I know it's two sequels deep but should be a good laff

You might also need it if you want to play as TWWH1 specific races in the TWWH3 mega-mega campaign, I think in specific dwarves and a few others.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

What I've been finding is a lot of people go "wow, those models" and buy the AoS kits, especially the new ones. I know...four nighthaunt players? There's two Kruleboyz players in the midst of assembling their armies etc etc etc etc. But it's the same weird ghost town where nobody I know has played a 3e game. To the point where I was asking someone to teach me and everyone was like "I...I havent played AoS since just before 3e launched."

It's...interesting. We're all playing blood bowl, though!

I like the models and definitely buy the kits just to paint up a small force. Usually a "start collecting box" and that is all I ever get of the army. I had Brettonians, Tomb Kings, and High Elves in WHFB, so the change to AoS made me reluctant, at best, to get interested in a new game outside the hobby aspects.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

The leaks had this photo, which includes the new Chaos Lord on Demonic Mount, as well as these guys standing next to him that are probably the legionaries.

Seems kind of redundant for the faction who already has iconic Heavily Armored Guys (i.e Chaos Warriors) to add another flavour of Heavily Armored Guy. I'd rather not head into the same kind of bloat that Space Marines and Stormcast have where they have multiple redundant units that all do basically the same thing, but one inevitably ends up as the optimal choice.

Also noteworthy that they seem to have both 2h weapon and 1h/shield options.

They look rad though.

I am glad for any new models because I picked up the Start Collecting box, and so have a bunch of Chaos Warriors in one specific style that does not mesh with the old style well enough for me to purchase any old style models. I don't want to buy another SC box because it comes with a big giant chaos guy on a lizard and I don't need more than one of those. So I am excited here!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

I suspect part of the resistance is a reaction to the blizzard of errata that taken place in 40k over the past year or so.

40k is complex and very difficult with the amount of rules changes going on right now so I kind of like the approach of printing fewer, but more comprehensive updated. That being said, is there a rough release schedule for AoS 3rd edition? Should I put off purchasing any army books that are not 3rd edition?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

We get two books every three to four months, it seems like.

HHmmmm.....

That is a bit of a conundrum then, if we are talking about 6-8 armies a year it could be 2 years before all the books are published. The one book I own, Idoneth Deepkin, is 2nd edition so I am already out of date and need to update that one. I am mostly painting for enjoyment but I have some Ironjaw Orks, Fyreslayers, slaves of darkness, and Ogor Mawtribe dudes. I think Fyreslayers as a 3rd edition book, but I like them the least. Is Slaves of Darkness likely to be released before Ogors and Orks?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Fyreslayers and Orruks have 3e books. Slaves to Darkness is confirmed for winter. Ogors are rumored for autumn.

Oh, that is great to know! I kind of hope with the new book the SoD release some Chaos Warriors that match the style of the start collecting box. I like the way they look and could go for a few more, but don't want to buy another start collecting box because I don't need another big lizard thing.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Awesome! I eagerly await the release. It was a lot of fun to paint the models in the start collecting box. Well, I have not finished the box yet, but I did paint all 10 warriors and am going to start on the knights next.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

at this point they should just issue them as ring binders with room for extra pages

You might jest, but it would be helpful to have a rules and army list product that is a 3 ring binder so you can do errata and updates really easiy.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am putting together the Lumineth shrine and it is a really nice model, and I am super looking forward to painting it. The only drawback is that the rock portion of the shrine has the largest most noticeable join lines I have ever seen in a warhammer model.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

They might be doing a box release because I can see people wanting to have more than 10 chaos warriors, and wanting all of them to match or be from the same release generation. To do that you would need to buy multiple start collecting boxes and since I barely play I don't know how well having 5 more cavalry would go, but I do know that you don't need two sweet lizard riding lords, so I can see a market for the warriors on their own. Especially if they had a box with a command sprue then they might drive even more sales. I might even pick one up so my chaos guys could have something to toot.

Speaking of slaves to darkness, their thing is they are unaligned with any particular chaos god? Like they are deciding which fraternity to rush? I am painting my lizard riding lord to have symbols from all the chaos gods based on that thought process, hope it isn't a bad idea. I did not want to show him off until he was done, but here he is at about 85 or 90% done:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

I unironically love the Bloodsecrator and his spine ponytail

I read that originally as side ponytail and was momentarily picturing Bloodsecrator hanging out at the mall with an 80s side ponytail.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a release date for that box?

I was watching this YouTube channel called "Warhammer Man", and he seemed extremely certain that this box was not going to sell well and it was going to be very easy to pick it up after release for less than MSRP. In the video he also said that a lot of that Tzeench stuff was already easy to get, particularly the Tzangors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfhTqWf2nZE

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

We don't have a release date just yet but its likely close.

I appreciate the advice but I'm gonna be honest. I'm not listening to any warhammer youtube channel where half their videos are some variant of "GW IS DYING" or "GW is loving you in the rear end (on these prices)", they're always low effort outrage farmers who are following in the insanely lovely tradition of guys like Arch.

Not only that but the claim that its gonna be easy to pick up after a few month for less than MSRP is a little suspect since that hasn't happened for Echoes of Doom, Arena of Shades or Fury of the Deep. The only box that actually happened to was Dominion and that has a lot more to do with GW's overproduction of that specific box.

I do agree that its easy to get a lot of the Tzeentch stuff but if I split this box with someone I can get the new Curseling, Tzaangors, Tzaangor Enlightened and Kairic Acolytes as well as their new rules cards for around $80-$90 which is a pretty good deal especially considering that the new Curseling will take a few months to be a solo release.

Yeah, the guys videos are certainly way over the top in clickbait titles, but I seem to be seeing that almost universally over YouTube so I wonder if they have tweaked their algorithms to show more of that stuff. I also was unable to reliably find any boxes, other than dominion, for significantly less than the 15 or 20% some games stores can get.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Also, so what happened to Dominion? It was billed as the Indomitus version of AoS, but it flopped? I was looking at it, there is a copy on Amazon for 115, and it seems like an amazingly good deal. The only issue is that I don't really care for either army in the box. Stormcast Eternals seem like a huge investment into creating a new army and it is bizarre because they could have just revamped any of the squatted armies or done an army that has had limited models in the past like Cathay. They seem like wanna-be space marines or custodes, but custodes are also my least favorite 40k army. So maybe I just really dislike that particular style. Have stormcast become really common in the AoS scene? I imagine they would have because, like space marines, they come in nearly every drat box.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Crazy Ferret posted:

I will be dead and buried before I rebase all my Skaven. It was a long day of snipping when I took them off the square bases first time.

As much as I liked the big blocks of units visually, I’ve really grown attached to how the AOS board looks with big mobs of rats smashing into units and overwhelming them all in the sheer mass. It is more visually interesting to me at least.

Going from round to square base should be easy, if needed, and not need rebasing. There is another game, with a terrible name, "Conquest: Last Argument of Kings", that has all the models on round bases but has these neat square bases that fit 4 round base guys on them, kind of like a movement tray almost, and you make up your blocks of infantry with these bigger square bases. So like a group of 12 line infantry has 12 round bases situated on 3 square bases, and I think it works really well. It would be the easiest way to adopt AoS to rank and file style. That being said, the big benefit of moving away from rank and file was to allow the troops to be a lot more active as opposed to static, so getting them to fit might be a challenge.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I would imagine the base size question would be dependant on how they want to handle the minutiae of rank and file and how the frontage can expand or collapse. The more discrete and granular the frontage is the more difficult it becomes to get an easy solution to base sizes.

The easiest way to allow/adopt models of any base size is to change the rules so that each unit has a number of wounds, not models, and instead of removing a bazillion models you just put a wound tracker next to the unit in question. This, of course, removes some of the granularity, but you could address that by adjusting the stats of the unit based on how many wounds it has left out of the original amount, kind of like 40k does with vehicles. I actually kind of like that idea, because before with WHFB the last 3 guys in a unit would still have the same stats as when they were full up, so it was not super representative of how cohesiveness plays a role in the actual fight. In fact, if they went to a model in which a unit gets worse based on the number of wounds they could then have an army with one of their bonuses being that their numbers are different or whatever, or the opposite could exist, a debuff.

The other advantage is that you could then make a static diorama or whatever for your unit, since you don't have to take anything off of it. You also would not need the exact number of models if the rules gave minimum/maximum frontage sizes based on wounds.

But the biggest drawback, of course, is the expansion/contraction of the frontline, and that seemed pretty critical to WHFB and was at the heart of it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It kind of seems like there is a long lead time between the reveals and the actual pre order and the actual get it in your hands time.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

You can make/find square movement trays that will let you rank up round based units. Check out "Conquest: Last Argument of Kings" as while it has the stupidest name possible, their base system is very clever.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Just picked up Arcane Cataclysm for 157 bucks. It might go lower in the future, but this price was good enough for me to buy. Seller has 3 left.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3253345109...ABk9SR6af5oblYA

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

radlum posted:

Is the Lumineth half a good starting point for a Lumineth army?

You would have to pick up a unit or two more potentially, depending on the changes, if any, in the upcoming book. That being said for 157 you are doing pretty good model count wise for the price, not including the books and whatnot. MSRP for the Lumineth units is 185, not including the special character, so making a conservative estimate you get about 200 MSRP of lumineth in the box. It would be about 65 bucks to get the spearmen, and at that point things are looking pretty decent for the force composition.

Also, all these battle boxes come with scenarios and whatnot so if you have someone to play with you can do the scenarios in the book with the forces in the box.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

If Lumineth is not your cup of tea this ebay seller has Warcry: Heart of Ghur for 175, which is really good. It is making me consider cancelling my pre-order with miniature market, as they still have not shipped it yet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1446672142...epid=2326423072

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My ogors are all winter themed so I would need a giant with more clothes. I just had a 3d resin printer delivered yesterday, and it is phenomenal. So maybe I can print a giant with a parka.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

For those of you that are old enough to remember "Mighty Empires", the hex based grand strategy style game to help link your warhammer campaign games together I can report that Hexton Hills 3d files are really, really neat and allow you to do the same thing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gravenguild/hexton-hills-tabletop-campaign-map-tiles

Here are my first few printed out:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

S.J. posted:

This is sick. Have they said anything about doing sci-fi ones?

Unfortunately nothing Sci fi themed announced, but I will check out their mmf page. They have about 130 different tiles. Some could be used for Sci fi.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think it is the same set, yes, but it also looks like the player has some other items either outside the set or left over from Mighty Empires, such as some of the scrolls, banners, and other various add on bits.

The fun thing about the set is that with 3D printing you can adjust the scale so if you want to do a smaller scale map, like 6 tiles by 6 tiles square you can make the tiles larger very easily.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have never really liked painting orcs, but the Ironjawz theme was really striking and looked great. Turns out it is a complete pain to paint. So I decided to do up the orcs using mostly contrast paint to try and figure that stuff out. Contrast paint works super well for fur and it made painting the yellow fun actually! I also liked how they turned out. I try to have two armies with the same base theme so they can fight each other. My Necrons and Space marines have city rubble theme, and my Orcs here and their opponents, the Idoneth Deepkin, have a river in the Taiga theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Seldom Posts posted:

These dudes look great! What'd you use for the water on the base?

Thanks! I used Woodland Scenics acrylic "Realistic Water", mixed with a drop of paint, and it took a few layers. Then I used Woodland Scenics "Water Ripples" on the top. The white foam is Vallejo Water Texture Foam Effect.