Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Does this mean they’re going to release 6 new boxed sets? With all 6 being Grand order death allies and 3 being SBGL makes it seem like a poor financial decision for them to do so, so I’m assuming no for now. Would be nice to get a discount on Ushoran but I don’t really need crypt guards 21-30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

I do like the Archaon AOS mini, but I think the problem with it is that Archaon himself is just a sideshow. He's just a little dude perched on top of a giant monster.

I don't really like how GW feels that they have to stick these hugely powerful lore-centric demigods on monsters because they don't seem to be comfortable with a human-sized model being extremely powerful. Even Teclis, a literal god of magic, had to be saddled with some kind of giant monster to turn him into a centerpiece model.

Just let Archaon be on foot and slap hard. Let him be like 500 points of murder hopped up on god-juice even if the size of the model isn't in proportion to it's point cost.

On the other hand Gotrek is very funny as he is and having more guys like him would make him less funny.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

I hope they vary up the tome release order so FEC don’t get screwed every edition

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Spearhead being completely without magic and commands is interesting. Especially given they gave the FEC Spearhead a double caster leader. (Which tbf might not be a wizard at all in 4th who knows how the warscrolls shake out)

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 28, 2024

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

There’s going to be errata though. Not fixing a warscroll because they left off an ‘end of turn’ in the rules text of the printed version or something is just stupid and mistakes are gonna slip through. I feel like this is just some buzzword they are throwing out there to sell that new seasonal interactions with (most of) core rules can be written into the GHBs to supercede the old rules entirely. Unintended interactions that break things or ‘can this happen’ type stuff has got to stay online or you’re left with unfun things for 6 months to a year

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Athas posted:

I am considering geting into AoS this year. I want to build an army mostly consisting of a few large monster-ish units. From what I can see, I can actually build a Stormcast Eternal army consisting entirely of dragons, which can be extended with various other monster-looking cavalry or dragon-ish units. That sounds really cool. Any other monster armies I should consider? I don't care at all about these armies being good, as long as they are actually playable.

Sons of Behemat can do a literal 4 figure army if you like big ugly giants. Flesh eater courts can do a monster mash with the Gristlegore sub faction and spam Zombie Dragons and Terrorgheists. There’s also quite a few armies out there that aren’t exactly all monsters but can have 75% of their points tied up in a few big heroes (sylvaneth, Ossiarch Bonereapers, anything with Nagash). Herohammer is real and it is everywhere

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 30, 2024

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

It seems fairly simple. Too many heroes and you’re losing priority, too few and you’re losing priority and command points. Does seem to favour ‘elite’ armies and there’s not really much incentive to building ‘against the grain’ as it were. Wonder if manifestation lore is what endless spells are getting changed to

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Muir posted:

You can still reinforce units and take 3 (or sometimes 4) units per hero. I think that ratio is still in keeping with current horde armies, no?
Possibly though I think the heroes are gonna be the actual bottleneck. 5+ small foot hero type armies like skaven or FEC are probably gonna suffer (assuming the army style survives the indexing) compared to anything where big expensive heroes are favoured. Perhaps the ‘+1 hero’ on some characters thing will come into play to alleviate this.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 3, 2024

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Desfore posted:

Wtf is "Power Level" in regards to stats? Is that a new term for Wizard Levels, cause that's the only number on his Warscroll that isn't explicitly named in the article, that I could understand changing in the middle of a game.

I assume it’s the new standardised version of both wizards and bracketing monsters.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 5, 2024

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Yeah it’s the same just no longer a spell

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

When they said Clanrats were getting removed from the line, I didn't envision that they were just immediately getting a model update.

That’s exactly what happened with Liberators, and clan rats are a staple unit for skaven, so you perhaps should have.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

The whole model issuing command ranges and command points assigned only on one model things came up so rarely that I'm glad it's all getting scrapped. Redeploy changes gonna make blocking movement lanes harder but also make deep strikes way less effective as they can now be reacted to. Unleash hell rework seems interesting. on the one hand you can't prevent the double shooting by not charging, but also you can choose which unit gets shot at by making sure the least important guys are slightly in front.

The whole declare-react-do ordering seems a little murky still. Does any rolling happen in the declare step? If not, does that make Forward to Victory something you have to pay for before you do the charge roll and potentially waste a point on?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Desfore posted:

Rules as written, Forward to Victory is a Reaction Command, and you would have to use & resolve that effect before resolution of the original Charge. Now, we don't know what the rule-book text of Charge is going to be in this edition yet, if the dice roll is part of declaration or part of the effect. If you go back to Nagash's warscroll and look at "Invocation of Nagash" the casting roll is done during the Declaration step of casting the spell. So if that indicates how rolls work for abilities in 4e, you won't have to pre-emptively use Forward to Victory before rolling the charge.

Yeah I’m hoping that’s the case but it’s weird to see it right alongside the ‘don’t roll for running’ command that would imply the run dice roll is in the resolve part of the action. Doesn’t seem all that standard so far.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

What are endless spells? The minis on the store page look super awesome but im curious what their role in the game is.

Physical representations of spells cast by wizards that do various things like move around the table causing damage, or confer effects to the area around them. They have a points cost like a unit, and if you have one in your list every wizard in your army has the ability to cast it. Enemy wizards/priests can try to remove existing endless spells in later turns. Most factions get 3 unique ones and there are a bunch of unaligned ones any army can include that came in with the current season of matched play.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Whats the difference between vanguard and spearhead boxes?

From the various promo pictures GW has put out including one where the stormcast(?) spearhead is set up battling the nurgle vanguard, it appears that they are planning to do spearhead rules for many of the existing vanguard boxes. So functionally there isn’t a difference. If they bring out a spearhead box to replace the vanguard box for a faction before 4th launches though, they might not support the old one. Skaven is the most likely candidate for this treatment. Also they might not bother to support the BoC box.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Count Thrashula posted:

New Stormcast models are slappin hard, this is cool

Memento was a cool movie. Like that these guys have their minders on the field with them.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

1/2" coherency? May as well be on movement trays at that point.

That will be annoying to track with a tape measure, the clip on the end and the body/housing will get in the way. You're going to need a silly little doodad.

half inch coherency at least stops some of the 'well technically 25mm bases are less than an inch so they I can move this unit through the gaps in my elite units' or 'actually 20 hobgrots in a single line is coherent' stuff that felt like exploits in 3rd. movement trays sound like a reasonable pickup in future for my crypt ghouls though.

Shooting in combat being reduced, and 'whoops my pile in took your guys out of combat now you don't get to fight' taken away also seems good. And the charge reroll is in fact working exactly like it used to, seemed super weak read the other way so that's a relief.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 17, 2024

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

The Bee posted:

Was shooting in combat reduced? I must've missed that.

No shooting in combat unless your weapon has 'shoots in combat'

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

. Unbinding is made against your opponent's actual casting roll, instead of the casting value of a spell.

Isn’t this the case now?

The power level stuff basically just seems to be language cleaned up to account for the command reaction spell-casting in enemy turns, trying to unbind a spell cast in your turn uses up one of your regular casts (and vice versa for the opponent). And if I get the ordering of things correct you would cast all your spells before the opponent chooses whether to try to cast in your hero phase so now you have to maybe give up on a potential cast to leave an unbind free to hedge against an opponent trying to get another spell off.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 19, 2024

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

On a re-read, I don't think you're spending points - the primary way you can lose ritual points seems to be if you flub your chant.

If that's the case, then you just build a point value every time you chant as long as you don't fail the roll. You hit the threshold of eight points, now Witchbane curse does an additional effect. Priests rolling hot might have some potentially wild effects if you're gaining an average of 3.5 ritual points a turn.

If that's correct, you're a sucker not to chant. Especially if it doesn't have the potential to wound you anymore, which seems to also be the case.

quote:

For example, a Slaughterpriest can choose to unleash the Witchbane Curse to weaken an enemy WIZARD once they’ve gathered 4+ ritual points… or hold out for a chanting value of 8+ to also deal three mortal damage to the target.

From the article, I think the phrase 'holding out' strongly implies you're spending the points when you cast or you'd simply cast any version you had access to while still building up points over time.

Endless spells now being 'free' for your army might make malign sorcery/forbidden power a sensible purchase, if you have more than 1 army especially. Every army with wizards is now gonna be taking either their factions endless spells or a subset of the generic spells to every game

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 19, 2024

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Sorry is this spell casting thing like psychic attacks in 40k? Ritual points are they command points for spell asters? Can someone explain to me? Im not familiar at all with how different this is feom 40k psychic attacks, Endless spells werent a thing this edition? Those spell models look pretty cool.

I was doing research, was the Dominion box for 3rd edition really 200 dollars? That sounds like an incredible savings if its the same price next edition compared to buying two spearheads and a rulebook. Something like 160 dollars savings, crazy.
The casting part of spells is relatively simple. You roll 2d6 and compare to the difficulty value of the spell you're trying to cast. Match or beat it and you get to cast it. Roll snakeeyes and you take D3 wounds. One of your opponent's wizards within 30" can try to beat your roll to counter your spell. Which and how many spells you can cast per turn depends on the unit but most casters get a unique spell on their warscroll they have access to plus everyone gets to write 1 spell on their decklist for each wizard to know. This part is now changing in 4th to 'pick one set list of spells for all your wizards to have access to'.
Endless spells in 3rd were basically units you put in your decklist with a points value, and if you have one in your list any of your wizards can try to cast it. This is again changing in 4th to 'pick a set list of endless spells for your wizards to be able to summon'

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Prescribed terrain seems like a positive step. Takes the swingingness out of stuff like Sylvaneth

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Well max of 10 in any one game I guess

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

I actually looked at that chaos tactic as one of the easiest out there. 2 charges in 1 turn, only 1 of which has to be onto a controlled point and flipping it like you were likely wanting to do anyway seems a lot easier to fit into a game plan than ‘make sure you have units out of combat and mobile enough to get wholly within each quarter and your opponent doesn’t countercharge or redeploy to within 6” and wreck your poo poo.’

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 26, 2024

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Enough there for me to pull the trigger on a box of Malign Sorcery. 4 lores worth in a set and with it being ground up reworks there's sure to be something playable among them. Forbidden Power and the Incarnate def more a wait and see cause that's way less value. Interesting they're letting the Incarnate of Ghur stick around despite its ties to the the old story and people's general lack of enthusiasm for the model and rules. Maybe we'll get another swing at the rules for that now they can model it as a 'real' unit just as an Endless Spell alone. Maybe they're going to bring in a new one for Ashqy at some point.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Ravendas posted:

I was checking Amazon, there's a box on there, specifically labeled as Skaven Endless Spells, with what looks like some lightning spires, a rat swarm and some magic bell. For $60.

These are pretty pricey additions. The sylvaneth wyldwoods are $51 each and that spell says you can have three on the board at once.

I think the current summon tree spell only summons one individual tree at a time (but also you start with a full triple as faction terrain on the board under current rules too so two boxes does seem somewhat likely to be needed). Still, I’d probably prefer that to most of the summoning armies in the game where you basically need to keep an entire army list in reserve if you want full flexibility for spending summon points.

Looking at it as how close it takes you to getting to 2k points for an army yeah it can be dispiriting but the models themselves are really cool and at least you have the possibility of just saying gently caress it and using the same incarnate for every one of your armies if you really want to save cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

So are places of power area of effect buffs for wizards and magic users?

It can make a non wizard able to unbind too, so look at it as generally hero boosting terrain