Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I hope there are some cool new Skaven models sometime soon

Someone at my LGS pointed out that the Bombardier warlock is the only new model Skaven have gotten (outside of endless spells/terrain) in AoS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Clan rats, Stormvermin, and Plague Monks are all fine imo. Eshin and Moulder need full reboots and Skryre needs new acolytes(globadiers) and weapon teams. Also the only non-verminlord HQs that are plastic are the Bombardier, one clawlord, and a Grey seer.

Stuff like the artillery pieces, doomwheel, and Stormfiends are great though.

I don't think there's anyone currently at GW that really likes Skaven though, at least in the design/development area. So I'm not holding my breath on Skaven getting much fun stuff for a while.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Deleter posted:

This is probably for the best - that spell has been an eternal pain in the rear end to balance for basically forever. What GW will do with the model now is anyone's guess. Maybe the old warscroll will still be legal?

It's not even sold anymore, so my guess is that at best it will get a legends entry.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah but that seems to go for all the non-aligned ones as well.
So I'd assume there's going to be a new box for them or something.

They're still on the store, just temporarily out of stock
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Age-Of-Sigmar-Malign-Sorcery-2018-eng

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I just wish they'd make the skaven clan battleline units match similar things in other factions. Just requiring that your general be of that sub-faction to 'unlock' that battleline option instead of requiring that every other unit in that army also be that subfaction.

Hits fluffy list building pretty hard since Skaven bought and traded things from other clans, and is a kick to the teeth for clans like Moulder or Eshin that have a laughably small unit selection.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

It's a better version of 40k's overwatch.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I find it kinda funny because 40k became AoS+ first.

The newest edition of each seems to borrow from the other. You could see AoS influences in 8e and 9e 40k just like you can see 40k influences in AoS 3e.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

It would be weirder if the folks writing the games didn’t take influence from their work on the other.

As long as they don't take the bad parts I see no problem with it.

Like the double-turn.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Business Gorillas posted:

i'm holding off on any more AOS stuff because my friend is absolutely insisting we cut our 48" gaming mat to 44" so we can play on a "regulation" table and its pissing me off

Just tell them to tape it off with some painter's tape. Or a washable marker (dish soap + water + scrub brush to remove) if they hate tape.

If they still insist on cutting it down tell them to get their own mat and cut it (neoprene does not like to be cut and will likely fray)

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 23, 2021

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Deleter posted:

Or just buy some of the properly sized mats or gameboards that will be out there if it's that big a deal. Hell, 40k 9E's been running on those sizes for a while now, those mats have to exist already.

Many places have started making mats in the new sizes.

Personally, I won't buy GW's dumb cardboard 'gaming boards'. But I'll use them if someone else has them and wants to use them.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/25/designers-notes-how-points-changes-make-the-new-edition-more-balanced-than-ever/

So if they're is having points only being granular "by a factor of 5" why bother having 5 points be the smallest increment? Why not just divide everything by 5 and have one point be the smallest increment?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

BaronVanAwesome posted:

It always makes me laugh in games where they go the opposite way - "This monster has 8000 power vs. this one's 10000!"

(They never use those extra digits)

Blood Bowl is very guilty of that.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I played a demo game of 3.0 with my local Warhammer store's manager. He played the new storm cast and I played my Clan Skryre Skaven.

The Rally command ability is really, really good

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Talas posted:

How did you feel about the game in general while playing? Especially in comparison with 2nd edition. Slower? Faster? Cramped?

It's probably going to tend towards slower since players have command abilities they can use in each of their or their opponent's phases.

It felt good I guess? A lot more options to effect stuff on your opponent's turn so you feel like you have more control. Helps to blunt the double turn.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Talas posted:

I'm a little late to the sales-chat but there's actually a chart of the Top 5 Non-Collectible Miniature Lines that reflects sales based on interviews with retailers, distributors, and manufacturers. Warhammer 40k has been #1 for a while:

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/41010/top-5-non-collectible-miniature-games-spring-2018

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/45370/top-5-non-collectible-miniature-games-fall-2019

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/47882/top-5-non-collectible-miniature-lines-fall-2020

Still, once it reached the list back in 2018, AoS has been a constant presence among the top 5 in sales.

Now, look at this one from 2015:

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/32096/top-5-non-collectible-miniature-lines-spring-2015

Or this one from 2014:

https://icv2.com/articles/games/view/30000/top-5-non-collectible-miniature-lines-summer-2014

The last time Warhammer Fantasy appeared in the top 5 sales was in the summer 2013 report:

https://icv2.com/articles/games/view/27069/top-5-non-collectible-miniature-lines-summer-2013

Now, there's not to say that it wasn't selling, but just take a look at the other games on that list and you'll see why it was worrying to GW. Yes, there was a lot of mismanaging, but I'm still in the opinion that ending Fantasy was the right choice, really badly done, but that's another conversation.

To be fair, Privateer Press (Warmachine and Hordes) shot themselves in the foot and seems to be actively trying to kill themselves.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Talas posted:

Definitely. I never played their games but knew people that did and it was very sad to see their place in the stores just disappear over time.

I enjoyed the game system, mainly because you could do things like a fastball special in a wargame. Or just flat use your opponent's models as weapons against other models.

It generally felt easier to play as well. All the rules for models were on the cards. You didn't have to drag around multiple faction books just for faction-wide rules or similar.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

GW is firmly in the camp of "we've always done it this way so it's the best way". It takes drat near an act of god for them to shift away from something they've always done.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

If the model is metal I almost always go with the nuclear option of an acetone bath for either stripping or disassembly.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Mr.Booger posted:

you know, after rebasing 400+ skaven to play aos without feeling like I'm cheating having them on smaller bases...gently caress you GW. Just make it different scale so it can be a new (well warmaster was actually alot of fun) game.

I'm planning on just getting trays like this one.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Probably just phasing out the start collecting boxes for something like the Combat Patrol boxes like 40k has.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Dragons fighting for Sigmar is incredibly lame. They should be a wildcard or a new faction or something other than Stormcast lackeys

GW has to push Stormcast somehow.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm reaching out to the vendor who says he can potentially send me a replacement base he has in stock but not in the website.

Man this guy owns

you can see the bottom box is warped but the top box is fine, so I'm thinking it was pre-shipment

Email GW, their customer service for replacements is generally amazing.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Only if you buy directly from them now. They used to be great, but people abused the system, so now they just tell you to talk to whoever you bought the item from. So good luck if you bought on Ebay, and good luck if your FLGS doesn't want to crack open a $200 starter set because you got a damaged base.

In my experience they just ask to show a receipt.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Edit: I was mistaken

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

GW has been doing this since at least Soul Wars. Partial units force you to buy box sets to fill in the holes.

Soul Wars was the most bizarre since the unit sizes didn't even match with the min unit size.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

its so bizarre because the 40k starters don't have this problem, they gave you 20 necron warriors in the indomitus box that you can run as a 20 man blob or split into two 10 man units to fill out a detachment, even Dark Imperium gave you enough poxwalkers and plague marines to get you started

Sounds like the Ork Combat Patrol is going to buck that trend.

There are 20 boys in the box and it appears the only option is 2 squads of 10 (each with a nob)

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Deleter posted:

- 40K has tons and tons of layers and layers of secondary objectives, augmenting abilities and upgrades, and stratagems that make tracking a 40k game at higher points levels a nightmare. AoS is more streamlined in this regard - you wont have to wait for your opponent to figure out which of his twenty stratagems he's gonna use, ten of which are lovely trap options and eight of which he doesn't have the units in his army to use them on. Additionally there's no loving Imperium apologists or people who want to put swastikas on their elves or whatever the gently caress.

This is a bit disingenuous as AoS has its own forms of excessive complexity. Command abilities you can use on your or your opponent's turns, heroic abilities, you now have to choose an objective each round and it has to be different from previous rounds, and the units with a dozen+ abilities just on their warscroll.

As far as fasc players, sadly they're hiding in every game, just a lot that play 40k feel that they're okay bringing it to the surface. Though it does make it easier to find who to avoid and/or callout.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The only thing that bugs me about KO are the players that keep asking to buy/trade for my Warp Lightning Vortex.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

If I had more time/money/skill I would love to do a kitbash of Skaven and KO and have a Skaven sky-pirate army.

It's tough for me to get super excited about AoS though. Skaven is my favorite faction and it feels like GW is trying to subtly push them out.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Randalor posted:

Is there anything specific that makes you feel that way?

The last battletome was phoned in and made army building a giant PITA. And things like subfactions' battlelines being sold as $15 individual models that you need multiples of 5. Rules got pretty wonky as far as abilities, but unit and rules strengths are a yo-yo so I don't really take those into consideration, but it's clear that they didn't have people working on the battletome that liked Skaven, or even really understood them.

Sure molder got some decent rules with 3.0, but hoo boy those models. Also good loving luck trying to run Eshin.

The Deleter posted:

Skaventide absolutely needs to stop loving around with their really weird conditional battlelines or whatever. I don't know if people are REALLY that all in on a solely Skyre or Pestilens army or whatever but everyone should just have Clanrats and Stormvermin baseline.

It needs to be like every other faction with conditional battlelines and subfactions: If your General is X, then Y is considered battleline. Not this current bullshit.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

When The Old World drops will this become a combo thread or will it get its own thread?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm almost completely certain that the entirety of the Old World release will just be a rulebook.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

Good job GW. Now if only they'd stop writing the imperium as unambiguous good guys in the vast majority of their fiction.

It's bizarre that they do considering they just dropped this article https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/19/the-imperium-is-driven-by-hate-warhammer-is-not/

I'm not a big fan of Stormcast, but at least some of the lore I've read firmly puts them in "not good guy, just against Chaos" category. The snippet that comes to mind is when they "saved" a village from a Chaos incursion. After the Chaos forces were beaten (nurgle, iirc) the villagers ran up saying "thank you for saving us". The leader just said "we weren't saving you, we were stopping Chaos" then proceeded to order the execution of the entire village to prevent any tainting.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Captain Magic posted:

I just want to run three giant crossbows to make the giant crossbow gods happy

At what point does it stop being a giant crossbow and start being a ballista?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Maggotkin disease mechanic seems neat and fluffy, but also like it would add a ton of annoying bookkeeping.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Talas posted:

I assume you can put a die as a counter and be done with it. The new Nurgle dice would be nice for this :discourse:

There's already so many friggin tokens and things to track with this game and trying to keep them all tracked and with the associated unit is a PITA.

Dice are also the most common thing to use for tracking multi-wound models and that's one more thing to mix with with eg: "was that dice the HP remaining/damage dealt or the current disease count?"

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It probably helps that these boxes may be in stock longer since they are just a box of other sprues and instructions sold at a discount, rather a new custom box and custom sprues

Pretty sure that's what the Battleforces are every year.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

"Looks great and is not cheap" is significantly better than "looks like poo and is not cheap".

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

GW is above and beyond the average for the current shitshow. It's taking weeks/months for stuff to even get out of the warehouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I pre-ordered the Black Templar releases. They just showed up this last weekend.

It really is a coin toss