Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Asphyxious posted:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chosen-...1-127632-2357-0

If you only read one completely insane eBay listing today, please make it this one. Full fuckin manifesto in the item description.

this is like poetry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

Vagabong posted:

They should of committed with CoS and made the new sculpts contain a variety of fantasy races

This would’ve been cool. Very discworld, the odd elf or dwarf Steelhelm mixed in with the humans, or a dwarf fusilier taking measurements.

It’s wild that the Cogsmith, whose background is all about working with artillery, has no synergy or benefit to working with the cannon, because of this race-locked approach.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

Looks a bit different to the existing rock/dank trolls tbh, same kind of beast but a slightly different style. I can see a Rackham comparison in the nose and the paintjob, more than Warmahordes, but I’m getting some David Bauer vibes with the beard and antlers. More woodland Finnish vibes than goofy mushroom monster.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

A Beastclaw raiders ogre list used to be doable at like a dozen minis or less. Scope to vary it too, depending on what mix of big monsters, chunky cavalry, skirmishers and regular ogre infantry you want to go with.

Dunno how well that holds up in 3rd ed though.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

Looking at the sprue, it wouldn’t be too hard to convert the hero into a regular Loonboss. Just leave off the skull headdress, maybe replace his bare head with the big hat champion head from the squig hoppers kit (which you wouldn’t be using if you make the boingrot bounders).

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

Vagabong posted:

My god...

Revaling the true horror of the FEC by basing them of English toffs.

The article talks about how he refers back to the kingdom’s constitution, which actually makes these horrible deluded ghouls more advanced and civilised than the English

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

Oh man, playing Dark Souls was clearly the best thing to happen to GW’s designers, it inspired like 80% of their recent undead

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

So are they keeping crypt ghouls? It sure looks that way in the preview, right after they showed updated sculpts for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Not a real issue for me, but I'm just wondering.

They’re keeping them, you can see them in the background of some photos alongside the crypt guard.

They sort of work as effectively the unarmed peasant horde (and I always liked their hunched look, like a pack of hounds), with the crypt guard as the men-at-arms.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

Those cardless releases tend to only stick around for a while as well, a bunch of the older ones went last-chance-to-buy a while back

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

I can’t tell based on the angles with the big mace, is it a single ghost or two distinct ones?

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

Decent mini, especially the dragonscale cloak but yep, another (variant) character mini for the fyreslayers. If it’s anything like last year’s ghoul king though, probably a sign of a fyreslayers update in the next year?

Re: multiple dwarf armies, interesting thing is that these dudes incorporate some of the old chaos dwarf aesthetics - braided beards, masks, semi-big hats, fire, ritual/cultic-stuff, having the word ‘zharr’ around the place - into a broadly ‘good’ faction. It’s not all there, they’re in the heroic warrior mould rather than industrialised Babylon, but still.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

S.J. posted:

I think I've said it before, dunno if it was here, but the basic fyreslayer infantry poses are absolutely god awful. They really do need a resculpt imo. No sense of weight or movement at all, which is a rare miss in the AoS line imo.

The poses are bad but there’s also basically no visual differentiation between the basic troops, the elites, the ranged elites, and most characters. They’re literally just a homogenous mass of similarly posed naked dwarves with the same helmets, runes, etc. (with only the big lizard and the new Warcry guys standing out).

It’s wild, you always hear stuff from GW designers about the need for visual hierarchy or distinction, with e.g. basic stormcast being relatively plain so veterans/heroes can stand out by more elaborate detail, but then that seems to have been thrown out the window entirely for FS.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

AoS Combat Patrol would be ok. The Vanguard boxes were such a step down from the Start Collecting ones that tying them to a discrete fixed format game mode would be an improvement.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

Ristolaz posted:

Return? When was it current previously?

If anyone's played it, share your experience because it sounds fun

It was in one of the general’s handbooks in 1st ed, not sure if it ever came out again in 2nd ed?

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

It makes sense and has been something folks have speculated about for a while. Skaven are one of the relatively few unique(ish) big concepts GW has come out with. They had huge support in WHFB and their relatively low profile over 3 editions of AoS is pretty noticeable. There’s also been a few references in recent fiction so it’s not a massive surprise.

That sprue is interesting, looks like a mid-sized glowup to the weapons team concept. Like a compact multi-barrelled warp lightning cannon.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

If it’s meant to be part of a new edition starter kit, they might just ignore it until the big reveal. They most likely have fancy animations and a whole set of marketing pushes already planned.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

Strong Pathologic vibes from the creepy shaman. Love the wider Darkoath aesthetic, just the pinnacle of sword & sorcery. Like a Frazetta painting.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

GW likes sticking their little pets in Warcry in particular, so why not throw in a weird cyclopean bone-tigers with the Ossiarch warband.

With that said, the last few Warcry releases have been more obviously intended to fill holes in regular AoS so could be a hint there. Some sort of Ossiarch scout/skirmisher unit seems like the clearest gap? There was that one bone archer dude in WHU, maybe they could expand him out.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

Winklebottom posted:

now I'm trying to imagine an OBR war elephant

They’re crying out for something like that, something big and lumbering with a howdah/ballista on top would really fit their ancient vibes. Also not something you see in other Death armies tbh.

RE: the Blanche art, what’s almost surprising is how 1:1 some of the AoS minis are from the sketches. The Darkoath guy, the kharadron, Skaggrot.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

Archaon lost a lot when he went from WHFB to AoS. He suffered for going from a hateful nihilist former knight who has managed to pull together a horde for the End Times to just another god who commands all chaos by right.

Moreover the mini was a real step down. 6th ed WHFB Archaon was an all time classic while AoS Archaon has aged worse than most other 1st ed AoS sculpts. Really chunky, angular and WoW-ish.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

Geisladisk posted:

I do like the Archaon AOS mini, but I think the problem with it is that Archaon himself is just a sideshow. He's just a little dude perched on top of a giant monster.

That’s the thing, he’s actually huge! Like big enough that folks have converted him on foot using Abaddon’s legs, and he’s already nearly primarch-big. But you’re right, he’s barely the secondary focus of the overall mini compared to the three brightly coloured monster heads.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

Al-Saqr posted:

Looking at art of warhammer fantasy i really prefer sigmar looking like conan the barbarian than how he currently looks.

In WHFB he had the benefit of visibly pre-dating the Empire as the ancient barbarian whose descendants wore puffy sleeves. That was always fun, like how parts of the 6th ed rulebook were meant to look like antiquated bits of the Bayeaux tapestry and older than the early modern landsknecht dudes.

In AoS, well, visually he’s just Marvel’s Thor/Odin in a faction of largely the same kind of dudes. Very neat, very generic big armoured god.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

It’s wild. The Beasts are in a sense not a huge surprise and the writing was on the wall for Bonesplitters (the unloved child in the ork faction and weighed down by the questionable at best aesthetics) but the rest, oof.

An entire Stormcast subfaction from a launch line of only 4-5 years ago, and with large parts of it not really having suitable proxies. I get that the range is bloated as gently caress but if these can be dropped, kind of nothing is safe, is it? And some of those Warcry releases are less than 2 years old.

Wouldn’t want to be a fyreslayers player right now.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

Mechanically basically the same but tense and psychologically entertaining. “What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”, that sort of thing. Fitting for Nagash but wouldn’t necessarily want to see it everywhere.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

which you already have with some 3rd ed units, like Blood Knights having no difference between lance and sword. But it does indicate that these special "1 in 5 may have" kinds of weapons will be sticking around as distinct profiles. Not that there's many of them though. Ossiarch troops have them, stormcast, I think some chaos units?

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

and then have the Vindicators and Vanquishers, who are to all intents and purposes identical to the new Liberators but with spear/shields and greatswords respectively

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

Miles O'Brian posted:

I didnt really think the clanrats needed new sculpts desperately but seeing them side by side proves me wrong

Same, these are like the 4k remasters of the old ones. Still look east to churn out in their dozens with contrast paints, thankfully.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

Muir posted:

I really like the Ruination chamber lore but it's also pretty similar to my understanding of Dreadnoughts in 40k, so that feels a bit less original than it did at first.

Kind of. The earlier hints of the Ruination chamber were that they were like the Death Company or WHFB dwarf slayers. Half-mad suicide troops, which is a trope which GW likes to use a lot across all its games and is maybe getting a bit played out.

By comparison, yeah, the dreadnought idea of increasingly mentally ‘not there’ but still capable troops with minders has been done but I think not as run into the ground?

And cool minis. The main dudes are a bit static but it’s good to see the random background weirdos from the art crop up and even be represented in the unit background.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

Even loyalty might be pushing it, the Darkoath don’t seem that keen on the idea so much as making temporary pacts and bargains with (to them) vague low-fantasy spirits of, like, strength or endurance. The cities have their guns and militaries and stormcast, this is the risky weapon they reach for to fight back. You had a bit of this with some of the background in 6th ed WHFB.

I get the impression the darkoath distrust truly chaotic things because to embrace chaos is to lose yourself and exchange one tyrant god for another. But then hubristically thinking you can make a deal with the chaos gods and come out ahead is kind of the core conceit of warhams in general, even if you’re just doing it temporarily to resist Azyrite imperialism or whatever.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

It’s dumb but I’ve worked in places where the attitude was just casually “don’t do anything for that other department unless the boss makes you, they’ll get the credit and the project will just show up on their books”. Not even out of pissiness, just a sort of target focus that discourages collaboration.

I could imagine this setup actually being a compromise position, like an attempt to make sure all sales are clearly trackable and associated with a particular line so everything is ‘fair’ to the teams. Again, dumb and harmful but not uncommon.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

Wings are cool and the poses are an improvement but not a fan of those open faced hoplite helms.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

I like the rules for the Yndrasta spearhead, where she and the elites can’t show up before the third turn. Feels like they’re stretching their legs here compared to Combat Patrol, where you have stuff like e.g. the Custodes not actually being able to use the full box cos it couldn’t be balanced easily. This is more characterful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

I like how the jezzails now use of highly pressurised warpstone gas that condenses into solid munitions instead of regular warpstone bullets. It’s more mad science and removes the jezzail’s status as the one skaven invention that was unlikely to blow its users up.