Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

No balewind vortex in those endless spell warscroll updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Beerdeer posted:

I figured out what really bothered me about the switch. Legions was a new way of doing a Death army that felt interesting, with Morghasts and the other cosmic horrors in the same army as your basic skeleton or zombie. With that flavor gone, Soulblight feels like a massive step backwards to Vampire Counts days. You can't do an interesting Death army because it's all siloed to Ghosts or Vamps or Ghouls or Bone Golems.

See I didn't find LoN to be all that interesting, it was basically a placeholder book while Death was waiting for its big 2e updates that eventually came and boy did it feel like it. Vampire Counts redux is a significantly more fun and interesting idea than having what was essentially a few extra rules if you did a Grand Alliance Death soup army.

If you really insist on mixing everything together though I still think you can do that under the overarching Grand Alliance Death army.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm actually upset that Hedonites got yet another points increase, Hedonites units were already horribly overcosted and piling more points on their units just makes one of the weakest armies in the game even weaker

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Baumann posted:

I'm in an area with a pretty big AoS scene and 3.0 seems as good a time as any to start. I like the idea of having a skeleton horde with Soulblight Gravelords and Ray Harryhausening it up. Is it possible to run a skeleton heavy list or are the real stars of the army the vampires in charge?

From what Ive heard its less that the vampires are the real stars and more that the zombies are just better than the skeletons right now.

Ive seen a lot of people saying that zombies+corpse cart+necromancer is the starting point for every soulblight gravelords list going forward.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Talas posted:

Just pre-ordered through my FLGS with an extra discount... and so, the waiting begins.

:same:

In the end I just couldnt resist the Kruleboyz, plus I like Ironjawz already so an eventual Big Waaagh army is very tantalizing

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

still able to get everything at 12pm pst here. looks like they werent lying about having lots of stock. this aint no cursed city lol

edit: lmao naturally everyone with ten piles of unpainted models and nobody to play with are declaring this as proof that games workshop is dead dead dead because it didn't get insta-gobbled up by scalpers and flipped on ebay for six times the price. it's either fake fomo scarcity bullshit and also GW is incompetent and also its all a hoax for the shareholders and they HATE their fans and gw is going woke and broke or its nobody wants the game because it didn't instantly sell out in twelve hours and GW has been lying to their investors these last few years and GW is going woke and broke. I wish i had the ability to live in copeland like this

its not healthy to read /tg/

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

AnEdgelord posted:

its not healthy to read /tg/

shout out to the guy who screencapped this

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
as long as there are ebay deals on the kruleboyz half of the box I'll be happy

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
btw I don't know exactly when I'm getting the box from the lgs but I would be down to trade my stormcast half for another kruleboyz half, feel free to message me if interested and we can work it out

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Deified Data posted:

I got my first game of third in with some of the units from Dominion proxied in and good lord those new crossbow orcs are not okay lol. There's basically no reason to ever use their single shot profile because all you're doing is fishing for mortals on 5+ to hit (with the shaman). Orcs are an elite shooting army now, easily lol. Nothing I had could withstand it.

I'm just imagining sitting on an objective with those and a shaman who summoned shackles in front of them and is feeding them poisons to help with mortal fishing

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

How are Sons of Behemat looking in the transition to 3.0? The sculpts are amazing and I've always been tempted at the back of my mind to pick one or two up just to paint them someday, but I'm curious if they're gonna be good enough to possibly turn into a side project army down the line.

I've been watching Heywoah's streams for the past couple days and his take is that they are the army that is best positioned going into 3.0, Mega-Gargants are now battleline, they now have a bunch of free rules thanks to having the monster keyword army wide and they do not care about coherency

he's actually almost talked himself into buying in to the army on his own but said he's gonna wait for the faq

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
lol at broken realms having battalions be the only content some armies got and then immediately throwing them in the trash in the next edition

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Business Gorillas posted:

it's kind of hosed up that GW put so much time and effort into 4 books featuring different factions, only to blow up all of their work for no reason in the next edition

some armies got redone warscrolls and new units so they aren't totally worthless but if you're somebody like FEC, OBR or Tzeentch then you have got to feel cheated after buying your broken realms book

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Kruleboyz own and unless their battletome is complete trash they will be my first AoS army

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Cooked Auto posted:

They'll probably follow the usual pattern of being really great and then get hit with the nerf stick later on, once sales have died down.

Nah they'll a different trajectory known as "first battletome/codex syndrome" same as what happened to nighthaunt and stormcast last edition and what is happening in 40k to space marines and necrons right now. Its just gonna be a matter of degrees.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If all else fails there's always battlescribe

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think you can quibble about GW's reasons for doing so but I think its pretty inarguable that GW wants less models on the table in 3.0. Between the across the board points increases and the reinforcement mechanic its pretty obvious what they're going for.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.warhammer-community.com...nRealms25June21

Not a bad story

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

the rumors are oddly solid on the /tg/ side and their analysis of Age of Sigmar's reason for existence is decent.

I've been hanging out on /tg/ and I never heard why they think AoS exists

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

JBP posted:

I play AOS and never touched WHFB because it was an insane commitment and frankly nobody seemed to play it. This is my tale.

I learned about warhammer fantasy from the mmo and when I went to the local game store to check out the tabletop game I was told they only played 40k.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

JBP posted:

Just want to say what happened with Warmachine/Hordes is loving sad. I played a lot of that game with other people that were bored with GW like ten years ago. It was such a fun system with so much cool poo poo going on, I loved the trollkin models and game had great risk/reward.

It's a real shame that it's nearly dead.

Yeah I kept wanting to jump in when I lived back in STL but I just couldn't afford it and by the time I could I was living in another part of the country and 40k 8th edition had just exploded onto the scene and Warmahordes was on its way out. Its a real shame that such a rich setting with such a cool system got flushed down the toilet. I'm not usually a big steampunk guy but their particular blend of it was really compelling. I know they have a sci-fi game now but I looked at it and honestly it just looks like someone desperately trying to ape Infinity.

Edit: on a related note I hope Malifaux is doing ok, its almost completely unheard of in the area i'm in now but I had a lot of fun playing the games that I did back in STL and that game is incredibly unique both aesthetically and mechanically

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 2, 2021

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mors Rattus posted:

Apparently Pitched Battles 2021 battlepack disallows it tho, so…???

I guess they wanted to test it out for a year and then be able to easily change it back in the next GHB if it sucks? Thats the only explanation I can come up with.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/warhammer
Speaking of the box, the AoS launch event is running and they're going to talk about the box for an hour or so until they drop some new previews.

Really hope the battletomes are soon, Kruleboyz are kool but sitting around without a codex for a month or more is decidedly not kool

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Winklebottom posted:

And some gribblies

Loving the look of these so far, especially the gator dragon thing. Crossing my fingers that the sloggoth and the Breaka-boss they showed a few weeks back both get the monster keyword.

Id also love to see some heavier infantry and cavalry but they already said there was more stuff coming so im not too concerned.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Unfortunately it's going to end up with them being all underpowered and crappy in like 6 months when all the other new book power creep leaves them in the dust, but ah well.

Yeah current 40k is not exactly inspiring confidence in GW's ability to balance books

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Looking closer at the big monster I realized it looks way more like a giant komodo dragon rather than a gator

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/05/broken-realms-fiction-kunnin/

More stuff for Kruleboyz hinted at here, looks like we have Orcs riding "monstrous wyvern-like vultures" with one of them being a special character

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Idk I really love all three of the AoS Orc aesthetics and I can understand someone that feels like they are a bit too different but for me I always imagined that taking a Big Waaagh list means that your general is a charismatic conqueror who has unified the various Orc tribes around themselves, and it mostly lasts for that general's lifespan rather than being a truly integrated fighting force.

The way I was planning on doing mine was that the Kruleboyz would be in their standard swamp aesthetic with lots of blue body paint like 40k Deathskulls or Celtic Woad Warriors, while the Ironjawz would be done with plains bases and a bit of a steppe nomad aesthetic and I would just say that my general has united the plains and the swamp tribes behind him to go on a great waaagh. Don't know what I'll do with Bonesplitterz but I have plenty of time to work that out.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mors Rattus posted:

I just desperately want Bonesplitterz to get less racist sculpts. So much. They're so loving bad.

Hopefully the underworlds warband is a sign of things to come, less african tribesman and more caveman

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Whats the variance in 40k? They all look the same to me aside from a very obvious pirate theme in 40k so this "metal armor"/Caveman/Dark Crystal variance is interesting

until recently all orks in 40k were just mad max scrap barbarians but recently GW has created two ork "sub-kulturs" in the form of the speed freaks and the beast snaggas

Speed Freaks are orks who are still mad max scrap barbarians but have a bunch of tooled up and hot-rodded out vehicles made to go fast while Beast Snaggas have a bit of a Horizon Zero Dawn/Monster Hunter vibe and ride squigs like horses

edit: oh yeah I forgot there is also the Freebooterz who are the pirate guys you saw

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Beerdeer posted:

Need those additional Orruk units quick. The Dominion box only has one Battleline unit

Yeah im trying to put together lists to tool around with until the real kits come out but having to shove in gutrippaz units to fill out the battleline before doing anything else really restricts list building. Ive pretty much given up on using hobgrots for now.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

DLC Inc posted:

wouldn't it be possible to take Orruk Brutes as Battleline allies or can they only be pushed together as such in a Big Waagh?

as of right now you can only do that in Big Waaagh and if you do so you lose the Kruleboy allegiance ability of doing mortals on sixes, luckily the book and a ton of new kits are coming out next month but until that happens its gonna be super awkward to put your kruleboyz on the actual table

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Deified Data posted:

I played a buddy with proxied Kruleboyz a few weeks ago and he used their allegiance ability along with Big Waaagh, was that not right?

I got my clock cleaned regardless lol, that many mortal wounds barely need any support other than the pretty decent generics

to the best of my knowledge Kruleboyz is a separate allegiance from Big Waaagh so you shouldn't be able to get both allegiance abilties at the same time just like how you don't get Ironjawz or Bonesplitterz allegiance abilities either

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

Apparently that will change come the new book.

good, the poison magically disappearing from the Kruleboyz weapons doesn't make much sense and its doubly awkward because the shaman (and apparently the komodo dragon monster) both have abilities that specifically interact with it

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Marmaduke! posted:

I'm probably going to pick up the main boxed set (or maybe one of the other starter sets), mostly with a view to getting back into greenskins. I sold most of my figures nearly a decade ago, think I just have the big spider (couldn't let that thing go) and maybe some night goblins left. Although I'll mostly be buying the models just cos they're fun and will be enjoyable to paint, it'd be good to think about how an overall army would look. Would you just be able to slot in a bunch of extra goblins and Arachnarok into the Dominion set? And more importantly... how easy is it to pull a bunch of weedy gobbos off of square bases and put them onto round ones? (at least I never glued the spider onto its base!)

You can probably ally the goblins in but greenskins have actually been split into two factions with the Orcs going into 'Orruk Warclans' (which is the faction the models in the starter box belong to) and all the Goblins and Trolls getting their own faction called 'Gloomspite Gitz'.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Basically all of Necrons is spread out through the entire Death Grand Alliance, the closest are Soulblight Gravelords and Ossiarch Bonereapers but Flayed Ones and Ghouls are basically the same thing so Flesh Eater Courts is pretty much an entire army of Flayed Ones and even Nighthaunt has some parallels. Necrons are meant to be the space undead so they are at least somewhat similar to all of the undead factions.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Im an ork lover and the kruleboyz are cool to me. Plus you can just as easily flip it around and say that Stormcast are not space marines no matter how much gw wishes they were and an Elf army of some variety would have been a bigger draw. Without having access to market research its hard to tell what was the stumbling block besides AoS just being less popular than 40k period.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I love how Gobsprakk has the severed hand of a lord of change as proof of how hard he owned it

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Savage orcs definitely need some attention but I think Ironjawz are mostly fine they just need few things like a ranged option, a monster or two that isnt just character mount and a new 'ardboyz kit without the weird scoliosis the older ork kits all have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Sharkopath posted:

I doubly checked and I was correct.

Some of the elite ironjawz and the named characters are new models, a lot are just the old orc line in worse colors.

Anyways I love the black orc models.

its literally just that kit thats an old model, the rest of the Ironjawz are entirely new

The bonesplitterz are all old models though