Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Am I mad to use dominion rules with Soulbound go create the ultimate warhammer narrative experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Are there any good nighthaunt 500 point boxes? I see there isn't a Start Collecting! Nighthaunt which is quite disappointing.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Eediot Jedi posted:

Have GW posted the price for the new set yet?

My flgs mentioned it, it's exactly the same as indomitus was here in aus, which is surprising I expected GW to gouge for more this time around.

They also read out the GW disclaimer that they expect to get hammered, so the store has to order their stock before the official preorders go up :psyduck:

239.99 CAD here. Indomitus(still on the shelf) is 224.99 CAD.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I thought the whole thing with the chaos gods was it was always the worst thing about it. Tzeentch doesn't want a cruel tyrant deposed for the sake of the people, he just likes change. His agents work to foster said change regardless of whether it's a good idea or not, which likely would lead to more cruel tyrants.

I think the only "nice" one is Nurgle, since everything I've read seems to say he genuinely, truly cares about his subjects. Nurgle's Rot might mutate you, but if you simply embrace the mutations, you're elevated to immortality and demonhood, something that isn't given as freely by the other three. We can all agree that the GHR is probably the biggest rear end in a top hat since he's the chaos god equivalent of a shitpost.
I've always found it interesting that Orks aren't down with Khorne, and generally seem immune to any corruption from him.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...8NkMlMxg0O7njaw

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
still able to get everything at 12pm pst here. looks like they werent lying about having lots of stock. this aint no cursed city lol

edit: lmao naturally everyone with ten piles of unpainted models and nobody to play with are declaring this as proof that games workshop is dead dead dead because it didn't get insta-gobbled up by scalpers and flipped on ebay for six times the price. it's either fake fomo scarcity bullshit and also GW is incompetent and also its all a hoax for the shareholders and they HATE their fans and gw is going woke and broke or its nobody wants the game because it didn't instantly sell out in twelve hours and GW has been lying to their investors these last few years and GW is going woke and broke. I wish i had the ability to live in copeland like this

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 19, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don’t I like being sane.

Imagine not wanting to live in a horrible unending nightmare

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Anyway, I found a source for Warpfire Throwers and Ratling Guns off a canadian site. I'm thinking Weapon Teams are getting a buff so im thinking of picking up a few. Is one better than the other?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Dreylad posted:

It's just a function of AoS not being as popular as 40k probably, a friend who handles some orders said they got fewer pre-orders than they thought, but it was still pretty decent. This is one of those no-win arguments where either GW is dead because they can't meet demand, or they're dead because they are able to meet demand and there's surplus boxes floating around.

Oh, I don't care. I'll be painting the boxed set with my girlfriend come July 3, she drew a KB and a SCE, photocopied them and has been sending me pictures of various color schemes. She's so excited to paint Yndrasta, End of the day 90% of discussion on neckbeard sites means literally nothing, the four AoS players I know IRL are more interested in the narrative play stuff than the actual competitive stuff. I'm 100% sure all the people going "I'M REBASING ALL OF MY MINIS AND MOVING TO KINGS OF WAR GW WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME" are most mocking the attitude from the one guy refreshing this thread and spamming 4chan.

And I mean, Gorkamorka was a great game (that flopped) and who cares? If AoS dies tomorrow I've still discovered how enjoyable and good the miniatures wargaming hobby can be, and there's a lot of options outside of GW for me. I ain't married to one company! :)

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

^burtle posted:

Will be curious to see what the actual shake down is because the “GW LIED ABOUT SUPPLY” videos are already going up on Youtube.

where? This?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

^burtle posted:

Yeah that was the one, I only saw the first few minutes before dinner but now I see it is more about buying local than GW shortages.

Dont get me wrong. He whining a whole lot, he's about as annoying as midwinter minis

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I have no idea why they did their Path to Glory diary so dirty.

I was thinking about it, but it literally sounds like its just this:

and this:

Repeated multiple times. Four spreads for four different armies and 72 spreads for battles. That accounts for 150 of the 152 pages. And they just uploaded them online. You can literally just make this and, if my coolculations is correct, I can make my own with my own fonts and have it lulu'd to me for about the same price.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Talas posted:

Dominion's price and availability meant that our local AoS group convinced at least seven 40k players to take the plunge and start an AoS army. Hopefully, the new rules can keep them, a lot of the 40k guys complain about the double turn every single time we are playing AoS around them... without trying it when we offer a demo, of course.

It's a good starter set, I'm not much into the competitive scene but I love the narrative play domain rules, especially since they can be played at different scales. I'm running Soulbound this weds to see if our group likes it, and if they do, I'm going to do a Soulbound-but-with-AoS-Campaign-Rules mixture. It'll be an interesting experiment. I have about 1k points of Skaven, so 1k Orks and 1k Sotrmcasts means there's gonna be a lot of hope for variety. Now I gotta make a terrain board. Although, Mors Rattus - you said you bought two, do you need two sets of boards or would you be fine with the two pack?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Okay, yeah. I was confused, I thought the 44x60 board was enough for 2000 point play, because the description says

quote:

The boards are made of thick, durable card with reinforced folds to ensure excellent condition even after frequent use. Each board measures 22.4" x 30" and can be folded into eighths for easy storage in the included sleeve.

Thanks though.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well with two 22 x 30 boards you can only make a 44 x 30 which is the 1000 point size.

Oh I see. Thanks friend

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Crazy Ferret posted:

I hope to get in a game this week with the new rules and I think I'm going to run this. I used the values from that spreadsheet with all the changes on it so I hope its right. I'm not too sure on how the points change as you reinforce a unit but I'll get to it.

HQ:
Grey Seer on Bell: 265
Spiteclaw: 120
Engineer: 125

Troops:
Clanrats 40 Spears: 260
Clanrats 20 Swords: 130
Stormvermin 30 Halberds: 330?
Gutter runners 10 rats 130

Doomwheel: 165
Warp Cannon: 185
Hellpit 240

This is mostly a motley collection of what I have that is mostly painted. I just finished the Hellpit and I've been wanting to use him for a while now. So if I'm doing this right, I've used a reinforcement point for both the clanrats and the gutterrunners, and Ive used 2 on the stormvermin. I'm not sure the point cost is right as I just tripled their cost.

The general thought being the Bell walks the rats up the board with the 40 unit on one flank and stormvermin on the other. The 20 clanrats screen the stormvermin and its worked well in the past to make sure I can get the charge off. The Engineer and the Warp Cannon form a healthy relationship while the Doomwheel tries to watch a flank. I've never used the Hellpit before but I'm excited to see how they do, and how it will probably fail spectacularly. The gutter runners are there to go after objectives and genuinely be annoying. I wish I had the points to stick an assassin with them but cest la vie.

If you're gonna run Spiteclaw as is and not proxy him as a clawlord add his minions. No reason not to, they're free!

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Sure is a lot of nogames doomposting here here

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Danimo posted:

This thread easily has the most negativity I've seen about AoS 3 outside of GW facebook comments.

Age of Sigmar 2 was most a strict upgrade to AoS1 and AoS3 does feel like more of an attempt to add more interactivity and flavor to the game mechanics while changing the look and feel of the table a bit. I'm down for it.

Reports from people who have got a lot of 3.0 games in reflect a decent change in how the "double turn" feels. The heroic actions, monster rampages and extra command point legimately make your opponent's turns more interactive. It isn't going to completely nullify the advantage of getting two turns in a row, sure, but thats just the game.

It kind of reminds me of a card game, we call these command points but really they're reaction mechanics and they're great.

HeyWoah is a really, really good content man for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ9bpDyCD4g

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I'm not entirely sure why he said that. I know that AoS's design goals are way different from 1.0, since that was to have it be more of a modeling and painting hobby with a beer 'n pretzels coat of paint. That didn't work obviously.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Lucinice posted:

How is the RPG anyway?

People said its like a one-shotty superhero game and its not.

It isn't very progression focused and you start very powerful, playing as whatever a step below the Stormcast Eternals are in terms of power. I'd say you're about as powerful as a member of the Ubersreik five from VT2 on champion in that you can kill lotta guys but can go down really fast, with you easily butchering most foes but letting an enemy hit you is like getting hit by a mac truck. Our session felt very rocket taggy (tag with rocket launchers). You get metacurrency to break it in your favor for extra attacks and you need to. Hitting enemies is largely a formality most of the time and weapon damage is determined by # of successes with your attack roll.

Spell can misfire, turn endless and kill your rear end as well as well. Currency is drops of magic healing water which can be consumed for healing or spent for the memes and overall bookkeeping is less important than metacurrency managemrnt and teamwork. For example, combat range is just done by zone. Short zone medium zone, etc. Oddly beer n pretzle-y. in general an excellent system for action focused Warhammer AoS campaigns but bad for OSR campaigns or 5E build planning. Order factions are the only races you can play but they're adding in more soon.

And theres a lot of "pronoun stuff" so if you're like a recently unfriended player who cant see a Xe or Xir without blowing a gasket you will go insane. It's very subtle most of the time but one of the starter set chars is an enby. Hope this helped!

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

HidaO-Win posted:

Awesome advice guys. I’m considering another start collecting box and an ironclad. I’m an awful painter, but I’ll either try purple and gold, or orange, black and silver.

Cheers again.

how are th maggotkin of Nurgle? my lady wants to buy a Great Unclean One and paint it. I've heard Demon armies can be used in 40k as well....

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Talas posted:

Good news, some rumors say that Nurgle is on the shortlist to get a new battletome. Bad news, the rumors are from 4chan.

the rumors are oddly solid on the /tg/ side and their analysis of Age of Sigmar's reason for existence is decent.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

AnEdgelord posted:

I've been hanging out on /tg/ and I never heard why they think AoS exists

Discussion from when ToW was announced.

Which makes some good points. The main one being that "WHFB wasn't selling" seems to be a meme on the level of "William Shatner actively bullied people on the set of Star Trek and threatened to get people thrown off the show" bullshit.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cooked Auto posted:

Oddly enough the introduction of AoS had the effect of making more people want to play fantasy in my FLGS. I remember hanging out there when the game was announced and suddenly there was a noticeable bigger interest in that even over 40k.

getting in on the ground floor has an appeal

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Desfore posted:

Honestly, it's probably no more complicated than they never made a hard marketing push in the US. I'm sure there were magazine ads and advertisements in game shops, but if you're completely outside the tabletop gaming space that stuff's never gonna reach you. Someone outside the hobby is more likely to accidentally walk into a Games Workshop, mistaking it for a GameStop. The best advertisement GW's ever done is licensing the Dawn of War & Total Warhammer games (DoW is how I discovered Warhammer).

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Why didn't the wargaming hobby take off in the US to the extent that it did in the UK? Feels like they have an extremely large, healthy community for pretty much every miniature game you can think of, and I know GW starting off there certainly helped, but that can't be the only reason can it?

The size difference was a big factor. There were a ton of gaming clubs but America is goddamn massive compared to the UK. And there were hard marketing pushes, at one point the POTUS was a big avowed fan of a wargame, Gettysburg(and they capitalized on this) but America's population is many times the size of the UK.

AchtungBaby posted:

I heard that the reason they created the new setting was a combination of wfb losing popularity at the time (certainly caused by bad management) and not wanting to bother to refresh all armies with new miniatures. But as I said not really sure how truth this is.

But where did you hear it from?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
built everything but the grots last night and holy hell was that way more enjoyable than dealing with glue

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I'm not sure, but I did order two STC brushes to try them out on June 6 and they just shipped today. When they say "within 25 business days"....

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

AnEdgelord posted:

Hopefully the underworlds warband is a sign of things to come, less african tribesman and more caveman

Whats the variance in 40k? They all look the same to me aside from a very obvious pirate theme in 40k so this "metal armor"/Caveman/Dark Crystal variance is interesting

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Deified Data posted:

Finished my general for an upcoming path to glory. Funny that I'm still working on soul wars when everyone else has their hands on Dominion lol

green metallic how

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Deified Data posted:

Thinned down warp lightning over iron hands

drat. it looks great

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I love them...my gf and I are painting them in Bokoblin colors...

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

AnEdgelord posted:

The dragons are obviously very good models from a technical perspective but I dont like them personally.

They look too much like something on a YA novel cover or from a saturday morning cartoon that plays in between Gargoyles and Yugioh.

how dare you they changed the Mortal Realms forever

nothing will ever be the same after this

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Also Gotrek was there and because I was playing death he successfully killed about 40+ models of a 30 model unit.

I'm only on Daemonslayer but that seems about right, why does he get a buff vs death tho?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I can't find any info on the release dates for any of the new KB stuff. Am I not looking hard enough or is there none?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

The Deleter posted:

People suggest monster hunter but honestly I'd go Flintstones and make a bunch of whacky squig dinosaurs and rock-powered machines

I'm surprised this isn't more common and i kind of also want a hanna barbera wargame now

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
How many casters does a Skaven want? I'm looking at the final stages of my army and it's a biggun.

Leaders:
Clawlord
Warlock Bombadier
Thanquol on Boneripper

Army:
Clanrats(60)
Clanrats(40)
Stormvermin(20)
Stormfiends(3)

Artillery:
Warp Lightning Cannon(1)

I've been told I don't have enough casters, but is 2 not enough?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Covermeinsunshine posted:

For Thanquol points wouldn't you be able to fit in grey seer+grey seer on bell? That should cover your casting needs

yeah. I guess I'll save TQ for the 3k point game

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

sasha_d3ath posted:

No Shel Silverstein fans in the AoS fandom?

I only know of it because of this

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
any news on a new skaven tome? google says no but im hoping someone is here is dialed in,

i am a hair away from hard comitting and buying Thanquol and Boneraker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

EdsTeioh posted:

For what it's worth on the Skaven stuff, the manager at the New Orleans GW told me something to the effect that Skaven (or clan pestilense or whatever) are getting folded into the Nurgle book or something like that. I wasn't really clear on what he was talking about since I was juggling my son playing with a chainsword and trying to buy stuff but basically what he said was that the end result is not having to take a million Clanrats in Skaven anymore.

i mean you've never really needed to, since the first time I met a skaven player he was using stormfiends as his battle line. im not sure if that was legal, I have yet to play AoS outside of my demo games