Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

sanchez posted:

I had asked in the general questions thread about the AC in my F150, I'd recharged it only to find the high side valve was leaking.

I couldn't get it booked into the shop before July 1 and realized last weekend that all the R134 had leaked out the bad valve already, and that this handy thread was back up for reference.

So I replaced the valve ($5 at auto zone), dryer and o rings ($40 from Napa), pulled -26psi of vacuum on a Harbor Freight air powered vac pump, left it for a bit and filled it up again. It's been running like a champ for maybe $120 worth of parts including the gauge set I bought and 2 cans of wasted refrigerant. A great result.

The price of R134 seems to vary a lot between stores and brands, the cheapest stuff I found was at Harbor Freight, they had a decent selection of auto AC tools as well and I was impressed by the air powered vacuum pump. It did take a lot of air to pull the vacuum >20psi, my small 110v 2hp compressor couldn't hold it past 15.

i must be misunderstanding something. how on earth can you get < -14.7psig? car at the bottom of the ocean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
seems like a good way to plug up your expansion orifice thingy

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
well, autozone has the AC gauge set and vacuum pump in their loan-a-tool program, so if you want to do it yourself you should be able to at least verify that it holds vacuum before you take it to the shop

but you could also swap the drier and charge it up yourself too, if you wanted