Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Ok dumb poo poo.

Went to big bear in a 10 year old outback 3.6; boiled off a bit more coolant than I thought and A/C went hot every time we were stopped.

Pressure was very low in the system. I refilled coolant and refrigerant on a very hot and dry day after returning.

Now the AC works perfectly, except after 10 minutes of idling or so, something kicks over and it blows warm very quickly; a few seconds of motion or slightly higher reva and it goes back to cooling.

Am I low on refrigerant or is there potentially something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Motronic posted:

Low refrigerant would likely freeze the evap, which would take longer to thaw and get you good cooling again.

Does the rad fan/evap fan work (not just running....are all the fins on it)? That would definitely make it not cool well when sitting still (evap would heat load and need air passing over it to make it better).

Alternately....is the evap or anything in front of it clogged? Fins good and straight? You can clean that out and get a fin comb to get it back in shape if not.

Coolant needed a proper burping.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

everdave posted:

Can I use a stop leak/ sealant product that only says r134 on it in a r12 system? It does. It have any refrigerant in the product.

Also on 2 r12 systems I am looking at the only port I can find is on top of the compressors. The 92 Landcruiser appears to have been converted as the port on the compressor has an attachment and it fits a normal ac gauge. The port on the diesel JDM hiace is definitely still r12 - and it’s in the location the ship said they found the port to recharge it (and it worked just has a leak).

I have not added anything and will not until I know if it’s ok and I am on the right ports (hiace works just has a leak - landcruiser compressor comes on but absolutely NO cool air)

The op tells people that leak stopper is more likely to do more damage than good.

And I'm pretty sure the propellant in that can is R134a because it has to go in a R134a system