Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I am here to relate my AC tale. 1998 Honda Civic wasn't blowing cold air and it didn't sound like the compressor was kicking on.

I grabbed a bottle of refrigerant that's been kicking around my job for a dozen or so years, my manifold kit, and got the car running. Turned the AC on, saw the low-side drop a bit so I cracked the bottle and immediately a jet of refrigerant shot out of the bottom of the condenser. Oh well.

$45 at Rockauto later, I've got a new condenser and dryer. Eventually get the old condenser out of the car after some corrosion fighting, and discover the root cause: The condenser fan shroud was only held on by two of the four bolts, and the lower condenser bushings are completely shot. So the fan had been banging against the bottom of the condenser for a while and had put a pretty decent hurt on the lower cap, along with a tiny pinhole.

$20 at estore.honda.com and new bushings, bolts, and AC o-rings show up. Reinstall everything, grab the trusty manifold and bottle, and charge the system. The pressures look a little wonky, but the vents are blowing 40°F air.... that's a bit colder than expected. I'm used to about a 30° difference in temperature, not 50.

I do the stupid thing and check the pressure on the bottle, as well as its temperature. 88°F, 160PSI. Dammit, this is a bottle of R-22, not R-134a. The pressure should have been 95PSI or so.... Oh well.

I get the R-22 recovered back into the bottle by a professional, who also vacuums down the system.

A few trips to the store to get R-134 cans, a can tap, and a can tap adapter that will let my hoses plug into the can tap... and I charge the system with 22.9oz of R-134a and my AC blows cold air!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

kastein posted:

I gotta ask since I don't see it mentioned even though you obviously do this more than me (just on fixed systems not vehicle) - you made sure it's got enough oil in it right? That thing isn't gonna last long if you didn't add enough to make up the deficit from the condenser swap, especially since if it ran for any length of time like that it probably drat near drained itself of oil leaking liquid from the bottom of the condenser like that.

I did not add oil. how hard is it to add oil now?

The condenser holed itself over the winter; I don't believe it's been running in 5 or so months.