Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brad Logan
Jan 20, 2009
Hey, I have a question about this exact gauge set!

I read the OP, and checked the static pressure on my car. It's showing ~57psi low and high at 80 degrees ambient, which, awesome, they match! The part where I'm confused, there's the chart with target pressures, which says 80 degrees you should target 40-50 psi, and I initially think I'm over.

The more I look at it, though, I think that chart in the OP is for dynamic pressure, right? Meaning, when I recharge, I try to hit those numbers.

Also, how the heck do I read this gauge?

My thinking was that the outmost blue numbers are temperatures for R-134a, and the PSI black numbers for static readings line up, which, so far so good, assuming I've read that right. It would mean ~86 PSI on R-134a at 80 degrees, I'm low, it's a candidate for recharge. BUT:

Motronic posted:

Let's say is 90 degrees, so we assume your car and the refrigerant is also 90 degrees:

It looks like this gauge says at 80 degrees R-134a should be ~72psi. Why would a different gauge have a different pressure/temperature for the same refrigerant? Is this just HF being HF and I should shoot for 70, or is it HF being HF and I should shoot for whatever the number on the imprecise scale is, or am I misunderstanding something else entirely?

Brad Logan fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brad Logan
Jan 20, 2009
That hugely helps. Thank you so much, and I'm hopeful this might be an easy fix!