Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

A/C on my dad's 03 350z quit working recently. I'm pretty far away so he took it to the local Nissan dealer. If I can read the techs handwriting correctly it said this.

Ac does not blow cold.
High side reads low.
Low side reads high.
Pulled .71lbs refrigerant, system held vacuum.
Refilled, ac still blows warm.
Low and high side still the same pressure. Compressor spinning.
Diagnosed internal compressor leak.

Before he took it in I helped him confirm the compressor was spinning over the phone.

This makes sense to me but I'm no expert. Let me know if I'm missing something.

Dealer quoted $1600 for compressor and refill. 1yr 12000 mile warranty.

Another independent shop quoted $1400 for compressor, dryer, expansion valve, and filling it. Non oem parts though. +$500 for the oem compressor. 2yr 24000mi warranty. Looks like the better deal on paper but requires pulling the dash or a lot of it to get at the expansion valve.

What would you go for?

Is the moisture issue caused the second you open the system or is it from being empty for an extended period?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Motronic posted:

Dealer diagnosis is probably right, but their proposed repair of compressor and refill is both too expensive and not a complete job. Take it to the indy shop. They're suggesting the fix that is most likely a real permanent fix based on the available information.

If aftermarket bothers you ask them to quote it out with factory parts.

Thanks.

How are aftermarket compressors? It's about double but 20 years was a good run. If they're all made by the same place though.