Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I got a coupon to have the ac recharged but the tech hooked it up and said it doesn't hold any vacuum, seems like the condenser is too banged up. They said they'll be happy to replace it for $$$ but I think not! A new one is like $60 so that's the new DIY project.

Is there anything to keep in mind when changing the condenser for the first time? The system should be depressurized by now. I'll then bring it back to have it refilled by the shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oof, good point, thanks! I skipped over that because there was no dryer or accumulator anywhere in the part diagram, but looks like it's integrated into the condenser. Which means I'll have to do it at the time of installation :(

Do I need to add any oil myself or will the shop do it during the regular cleaning and charging process?

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 18, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

Cleaning? If this system needs to be flushed they're going to need to take it apart. You didn't mention that before.

I get you're trying to save money, but unless you can test this yourself (like, have manifold gauges and a vac pump at a minimum) I'm not sure this is the best job for you to take on. You could very well do a bunch of work only to find there's still another leak that needs to be addresses, so you'll be pulling the condenser again to replace another desiccant pack (fortunately that style is pretty cheap at least).

I suppose if they're willing you could do all the work except the desiccant pack, get them to vac it down/pressure test it, and if it all passes being ti back home to swap the desiccant pack and then bring it back for a vac and charge. But that really depends on what they're willing to do and how much they're going to charge you. I personally wouldn't take a job like that.

As to your oil question, that is again up to what the shop is willing to do.

Yeah sorry, I just checked the coupon and it just says disinfection with ozone, I'm sure they won't be pulling anything apart. It also says they'll top up oil as necessary, so I should've just RTFC.

I'm being a bit of a cheap bastard because this is for the beater Fit and I don't want to spend more than the car cost, but on the other hand it's black and gets pretty intolerable on the highway :D But I got your point, I think I'll either forget about it and live without AC, or maybe do the condenser and have them fix anything else they discover as long as it's not like the compressor or something else super expensive. I don't think they'll put up with me coming back every few days :v: Thanks!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BigPaddy posted:

There is a place around the corner who are were all good to do it then they didn’t want to mess with my non oem condenser. Anyway I have the lines and the crimper so gently caress it I will make the lines myself and then have someone charge it and tell me it leaks. Since it has taken 4 attempts to get an alignment because it was booked in and then the machine is broken or the alignment guy is sick or we didn’t have time etc… I am just low on patience with professional shops.
I'll probably have to get non-OEM condensers as well as they're all completely busted and I'm not spending OEM money on 20 year old cars. Miata is livable without A/C obviously but the black Fit is a nightmare on the highway especially.

Supposedly the system was already filled with UV dye by the OP so I'll try to examine it tonight. The condenser is the obvious culprit but there could be other areas of course. Would a shop be typically willing to just diagnose or fill it up with dye again? Unfortunately there don't seem to be any DIY kits available in the country.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How long is UV dye expected to stick around? The PO supposedly had it done not long before selling the car last year, but I went over it with a UV flashlight and couldn't really find any sings of leaks. Which I doubt is possible because it's not cooling at all and the condenser is visibly banged up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

You mean outside of the system? That's a pretty unanswerable question considering that like anything else it can be washed off from anything that would wash things off in your engine bay from actual engine washes to driving in the rain.

Yeah, outside the system.

But I think that kind of answered it. If it can be washed away by rainwater, it's probably gone and I'll have to do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I want to take another shot at fixing A/C in my beater Fit (posted about it last year). It's black so it's extremely unpleasant to drive especially on the highway since open windows don't help much and are very noisy and windy.

The situation is that the A/C isn't cooling and the compressor doesn't seem to turn on when pressing the button. The condenser is visibly very banged up and probably a source of leaks, even though I wasn't able to detect any old dye from the last fill. Unfortunately DIY refrigerant/dye kits aren't available here, possibly illegal even.

Could a shop diagnose the whole system before fixing anything? I'd like to avoid e.g. replacing the condenser and refilling it only to discover that I'd have to spend more than the car is worth on the compressor. I could DIY the condenser replacement I think.