Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I bought all the tools from the op in 2015, then sold the car that needed AC work instead of doing anything.
This weekend I tried to help my brother and a friend with their cars, and new truck has a suspected seized compressor, so time to try things.

Canada has banned the sale of 134A, so the only thing they sell in stores is 12A - https://redtek.ca/refrigerants/12a/

I couldn't find a pressure chart to figure out what to do with it, the link doesn't work on their webpage.

Supposedly you fill the systems with liquid.

We filled one of the cars with vapor - and we didn't have a redtek valve and mine didn't go down far enough to activate the resealing valve on the can.
I used a side tap, but it has a valve on it, and the yellow hose doesn't have anything to activate it, so I took the valve out before puncturing it, and then the rest of the can came out when disconnecting the hose.
It seemed to cool, but that one went to the shop and they "fixed it" - recharge with oil in it. We were just testing things because that one went flat without a good reason so it was more of a test to see if it would all leak out.

The other car had a condensor replaced after a front end crash, and it had pressure in it when it was removed. there was a better chance for this one, so we followed the directions and put the can in upside like it says.
None of the pressures seemed to line up, either on the Redtek gauge or the real gauge. The gauge lines filled themselves with liquid and oil when we took them off.
We put the 1.5 lbs of coolant in as per the sticker.
The system cools great now, but who knows how long it will last.

So I am aware we did everything wrong, but what should I have done instead? How should I use the side tap? How do you put oil into the system? Anyone else use this 12A stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Understood, putting the oil in the compressor before anything makes the most sense.
For mine, maybe it will get filled at a shop since they will have to vacuum the old stuff out - all depends on how much they charge and if they want to actually do work.