Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

That looks like every other chinese knockoff vac pump I've ever seen (including my own). Just make SURE you keep it properly filled with the right oil and it will probably be fine. Mines going on 10-ish years now.

The HF manifold gauges are also fine, but the hoses are cheap. Just keep them clean so they don't get destroyed by solvents sitting on them between uses and they too should be fine.

That looks like a pretty decent deal.

Seconding this. Use good vacuum pump oil. It'll score the vanes if you abuse em with old/the wrong oil.
I've been using that same manifold set for over a decade now. Get a can tap for sweet sweet R152A action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Motronic is talking about the blower fan which supplies air to the interior vents not an auxiliary condenser fan.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
If its aluminum expect to take a dicking. The lubricating oil within the system makes it a bastard to tig.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Copper > Aluminum > Brass for thermal conductivity. Aluminum is cheaper and easier to work. Economies of scale, etc.
IMO don't get off in the weeds with trying to adapt something to fit. There's dragons here. That would alter its charge weight and its thermal properties at the top most level. Digging in the weeds you'd need the right connectors, tubing sizes, and the proper valving.
Mostly with tig its contamination. the oil is a contaminant. which makes welding a pita. Its possible. but its not easy. These tubes and headers are also paper thin. Contamination can make for a lousy weld in that its weak or can leak via porosity.
A Pro should be fine. You'll pay for their experience, don't take the lowest bidder.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
It is now 2024.

Have some carnage from a current 6.0 PSD F450 I'm working on.

Teflon/fragments found in discharge line. Compressor seized years ago. System is discharged. Pulley finally gave up the ghost.

Sort Of Related. I brought home more Ford poo poo.

Pair of recovery/service machines. The Rotunda Ford unit is recovery only. The White Industries is full service. Estate sale so I got em for a song. "one working 20 years ago, one broken, nfi, take it all".
Got both working. Three bottles to work with, one full of R12. Pile of adapters to complement the pile of adapters I already own.

The vacuum pump in this one is newer. Needs a full service but it works.

Inside the Rotunda unit. All in one pump and wants Ester oil only. It's surprisingly quiet and smooth for ford equipment.
It holds a bottle on the back with a scale that'll indicate to the user when the bottle is full. Filter and separator with discharge for oil. Pretty nice portable unit.

Gonna do a functional restoration and put these antiques to work on all the antique vehicles around here.