Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Any tips for reversible systems? Our Leaf is now 8 years old and has 106,000 miles; the AC has been on for probably 99% of that because it’s used for both heat and cooling. I definitely notice that it’s not as efficient as it once was.

Would the high and low side taps need the system to be placed in cooling mode, or would they be placed in such a way to always be the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Well, here’s to hoping I didn’t just destroy my system - I bought a can of Freon-brand R134a with dye in it and used it in my 2013 Leaf. I have several cans of undyed R134a from another brand and noticed they have this warning label:

The Freon-brand stuff does NOT have a warning label, and the O’Reilly computer specifically lists my car as compatible.

The explanation is that the oil for normal compressors is not compatible with the oil in hybrid and EV electric compressors - you’re even supposed to use a completely separate set of gauges so as to avoid contamination. Dye usually contains oil.

Either Freon-brand uses a compatible dye or I just destroyed my compressor. Guess we’ll find out over the next few months!