Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Related to Everdave's post, is it still feasible to find a shop that can get old stock of R12 to do a recharge? I'm thinking I might need to take my car to another town to get the AC recharged or converted. AC on vs AC off is maybe 5 degrees difference at this point and it's getting hot.

Just convert it. I've done both, a sealed system being recharged with R12 and a formerly R12 system that had been opened and needed repair THEN converted and here in the Florida summer I can't tell the difference between the conversions and not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've been arguing with a friend of mine about acceptable loss of refrigerant over time. He makes rebreathers for SCUBA diving so he's of the opinion that anything designed well will have 0 loss because if you have any leak in a rebreather you die. I say that over a long enough period of time (10-20 years) it's normal to lose some or most of your refrigerant, but I don't have a reason why it's not a perfect seal. I'm thinking maybe the heat cycling causing expansion and contraction at different rates due to the dissimilar materials?

Part of the reason for argument is that I think I need to either DIY or get a recharge done on my '99, it's blowing cool rather than cold and I know for a fact that it hasn't been recharged since I got it in 2009, likely not even before then since you don't tend to do that in the first 10 years. He thinks that the first order of business should be determining where it's leaking because he thinks it's an "is leaking" rather than a "check if it's leaking."

Automotive AC systems can be sealed perfectly and will still defuse refrigerant through the various hoses.

You don't scuba with R12 or R134.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So you're saying that the hoses themselves absorb refrigerant over time?

I'm not an expert but no, the refrigerant itself it diffuses out of the hoses into the environment. This is completely expected and normal behavior over a long enough timeline.

This is why you can still have a completely sealed system that doesn't have any refrigerant in it, still under vacuum.