Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

It's 2022, time to update the thread.

I was just thinking about this series of threads today. About 6 years ago, I bought the '05 Escalade with front and rear air conditioning systems. It needed a charge, and I used the current Motronic thread to charge it, and it has worked fine since then.

It's time for air conditioning again, and it fired up fine today, but through cold parts of the winter, I started it several times and saw the compressor-indicating snowflake flashing on the display.I figured that was a message that the pressure was too low to engage the compressor?

Anyway, I'm thinking I need to pop the gauges on, double-check the charge, and probably add a bit, since it was pointed out before that the system has some long rubber hoses that allow refrigerant to diffuse over time. Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Well, I finally got my gauges out since the Passat's AC dropped out, too. I've had it for 3 years and never checked it. It worked fine, with longer lead times to cool over time until it just wasn't doing it.

I did the escalade at the same time.

95* ambient and I was seeing about 60psi low side and 265psi high side on both. Just out of spec, but it very well may be 30 year old R12 gauges? Both systems seem to be working fine now, they both took right at 1 can of refrigerant.