Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Double post, got another pin in today (from a kickstarter):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

It's Kickstarter pin day apparently!!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Everett False posted:

It's Kickstarter pin day apparently!!

Oh my GOSH those are cute!

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

I love that cat pin. Chubby kitty feet are :discourse:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/see_starling/status/1427637808051671043?s=19

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Oh my god

I almost never buy hardcovers but I'm feeling very targeted by this.

:homebrew:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Hello pins and patches thread!

SoonTM we'll be running a special short term RSF for goon collections, would y'all be interested in having this thread moved to that subforum for the duration of the RSF?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The collections sub is going to be temporary? That sucks, a dedicated sub seems like a great idea to me.

That said I don’t know what RSF stands for so :shrug:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Roaming Sub Forum! It's always temporary. I would totally support that since I know for a fact there's more pin-hoarders on this forum who should know we have a thread (but ultimately I would say it's up to Strix).

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

"Rotating subforum"

The intent is to draw new posters and breathe new life into some of our neglected collection threads with a special subforum and then bring the threads back here to the hobby subforum at the end of it all. The reason it's not likely to become a permanent subforum is because there's a lot of crossover between crafty hobbies and collections. We've been working behind the scenes to figure out how to do this most effectively and, from discussing it with other mods and admins, there just wasn't a good way to cut that baby.

v :toot:

corgski fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 10, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'd be excited to photograph my pin collection now that it's grown and share, so - sure!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pin mail again! Here's my latest, a weird cicada knight from kickstarter:

mania
Sep 9, 2004
Kickstarter and other pins:

Etsy. They had another pin kickstarter recently-ish, so there should be new pins in a few months.

kickstarter

No-Face's mask moves :3: shop

Wooden pins are close enough! shop

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Are there any goon-recommended custom patch makers? What does a custom patch run typically entail? Costs, minimum orders, and all that.

Is 3d printing with high metal content filament and sintering at all a good way to get a pin base for enameling?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I am going to buy. So many of these. But the shop with the little fishies in the record player and foxes in the typewriter feel especially targeted.

If we're doing wooden pins also, Celesse has pre-orders open on some limited Halloween glow-in-the-dark ones right now!

Link to all three but you can also pre-order individually.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Holy gently caress why did no one tell me we had a pin collecting thread!!!

I might have a small problem. Most of these aren't artisan though or even enamel pins, unfortunately.

These two for sure are. I don't remember who on eBay the right was but the left came from here.

Bonus pic: Soviet space pins and other stuff.

Goddamn its hard to light things well in this room.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

What a collection. I love those space pins!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hot drat, you're definitely doing it right. Love those pins!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Thanks guys, if I can get some light on the subject, you might actually be able to see more! (that and I can't decide which ones to show off). I just recently redid the boards since they were getting out of hand and made some cuts.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pin mail! :toot:

These are from a combination etsy and kickstarter - I got a discount on shipping for being a backer, and I love the pastel variants on these guys.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Ooooh, those are BEAUTIFUL. So many high-quality creatures!!

Every time this thread moves to the top of my bookmarks I realize that I've gotten more pins since last time, whoops. This time it's MaxFun reward pins, and the September pin of the month from Sanrio that I got free because I was too weak to resist a Halloween-themed Kuromi swing skirt.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Man those etsy ones are nice StrixNebulosa, I really need to find cool artists to follow. I think the pink luna moth is my favorite.

And poo poo that's what the latest Sanrio pin of the month stuff looks like? Looks much better than the old polaroid photo ones.

And for the hell of it my other Sanrio related enamel pins. I got a couple of Hello Kitty buttons too but they're nothing special.

As you can see I got too deep into figpins at one point and have since cut that out. At the moment I'm spinning my wheels waiting for the 25th anniversary card set of Pokémon to come out next week as a couple of the collection boxes have pins included that I want.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I got a new patch. Haven't put it on my jacket yet as jacket weather is done for the year in Aus.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My friend is doing a collab to do a run of Pacific Rim pins, y'all should check them out: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dodobirdink/mechs-and-monsters-enamel-pins

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

My friend is doing a collab to do a run of Pacific Rim pins, y'all should check them out: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dodobirdink/mechs-and-monsters-enamel-pins

Those are awesome. Everyone should back this so they unlock Cherno Alpha!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

More pinmail! :toot:

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Cute pin giveaway:
https://twitter.com/lauraillustrate/status/1445118470677483526?s=19

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thank you so much for posting this. I just found this thread today and as a massive Pacific Rim fan I need 11k for that Chau unlock

And props to your friend these look incredible!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the GOAT.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No new pinmail...yet. Instead I'm gonna show you kickstarters and pins I'm considering purchasing!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1085249096/starry-kitty-hard-enamel-pin-set

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shiroasa/saints-lament-gothic-enamel-pin-designs

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/braivety/water-pokemon-enamel-pins (lots of pokemon in here! I quite like their fire pokemon set)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vipiink/astral-escape

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1482811596/dragon-ladies-hard-enamel-pins

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Man, those kickstarter projects are neat, I'm kinda considering the Dragon Ladies one now myself. Of course something cool would pop up the instant I decide to cut back on frivoulous spending, never fails. Speaking of, I got one of the new offical flying/surfing pikachu pins:

You rotate the clouds/waves for either pikachu variant and its neat. I got semi-unlucky that mine isn't in top tier condition straight out of the package, but given the mass insanity with pokemon lately I'm not going to complain further about it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I want to recommend Mary Capaldi. In particular, I got my daughter's nonbinary partner the gynandromorph pin and they were very, very pleased.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.etsy.com/listing/798951435/heart-rat-pin-rats-hard-enamel-cute?ref=shop_home_active_17&crt=1

oh my gosh these rat pins

(I'll refrain from spamming and wait until I get more pin mail but I HAD to share these!)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I want to recommend Mary Capaldi. In particular, I got my daughter's nonbinary partner the gynandromorph pin and they were very, very pleased.

Gynandromorphs are super fascinating and that is a really thoughtful present. :)

All that art is really neat too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I found this hat buried in a pile of clothes at a rummage sale and picked it up, seems to be an old soviet hat with a bunch of russian pins in it. pretty cool.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I found this hat buried in a pile of clothes at a rummage sale and picked it up, seems to be an old soviet hat with a bunch of russian pins in it. pretty cool.

God drat those are cool. I'd ask for a shop link if you had one!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I recall someone identified a bunch of them including an ebay link to buy one of them (the helicopter one iirc) but I couldn't find where that was mentioned unfortunately. It's possible it was off site and I'm forgetting. It's really neat though, yeah. The pins are pretty rad, a bit shoddy in build quality, but overall neat.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Soviet pins are fun to collect and there are a billion of them out there! They commemorated any old event or thing with them from state holidays and leaders, to town crests, to vehicles, to military, to spaceflights, to Christmas/New Years, to fairytales, etc. Apparently the thing to do in Soviet Russia was to collect them and pin them to a banner you'd have hanging. I wound up importing most of mine from Ebay, and now am probably on a watch list for having bought poo poo from Russia and the eastern block countries. The pin backs are small and cheap and can be a bitch to pin to something taught (like my boards) though. And they are cheap as poo poo quality and price wise but eh.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I don't have time to set up and photograph all my pins now, but here's one of my favorite sets that I got from a Chinese mythological creature pin ks:

my main source of pins currently is my subscription to Rainylune's patreon which is very good if you are a fan of frogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

WHOA, those Dragon Ladies pins are NUTS... I wonder how expensive those molds were for the artist! Never seen ones that big before.

Could we get an EffortPost with links to artists' shops? I gotta dig through my collection and maybe take some pics.

Also, any tips/pics of how people like to display theirs? I need to put mine up but I'm so torn over multiple small pin boards, shapes, etc...