Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

feedmegin posted:

Not actually EVERYONE as it happens. Your phone isn't running on Intel and its not like they haven't tried. These days, neither is your Mac.

I meant at the time when x86 made it look like things were over, of course.

What's happening now is arguably history repeating itself. The success and huge sales volume of the IBM PC (and its clones) allowed the x86 ISA to invade and ultimately dominate markets way above its humble origins. Today, Arm is in that role: it's the traditionally lower-spec architecture taking advantage of living in a much higher volume market to invade upwards.

You even see people making the same mental mistakes. Back in the day, people used to scoff at the idea that x86 could take on the workstation and server markets. Recently, we've seen many similar opinions about Arm; people assume there's some intrinsic property which makes x86 faster.

It's not inevitable that all PCs will be using Arm CPUs in 5 or 10 years, but I do think we're in an inflection point where that could happen. It depends a great deal on Microsoft having the desire and competence to push it forwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

BobHoward posted:

Let's talk about a couple interesting Intel ISAs which are not x86!

====

The first is incredibly popular, yet also obscure if you aren't in certain segments of industry: MCS-51 aka 8051.

It was a family of 8-bit microcontrollers which Intel originally developed and sold in the 1980s. For its time, Intel did a lot of things right with the 8051, and it won big. They got designed into everything. Intel even licensed it widely, which only increased its reach and popularity. I would guess that most 8051 cores in existence weren't made by Intel.

It is somehow still with us today. An example I happen to know about is that the chips in many USB3-to-SATA devices (drive docks, enclosures, etc) contain a simple USB-SATA data bridge controlled by an 8051, which both directs dataflow and translates USB Mass Storage Class commands to SATA commands.

However, it is slowly but surely fading away. 8051 is this weird old architecture from an era when µCs were almost exclusively programmed with assembly code. It's losing design wins to architectures like the embedded profiles of RISC-V and ARM, which have much bigger and livelier software dev ecosystems. (Those USB-SATA bridge chips I mentioned? The newest gen chips from the same company have gone over to Cortex-M0.)

You can even get clones with onboard flash memory and other modern features.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

BobHoward posted:

There was lots of demand for small-ish UNIX workstations, and these RISC CPUs were a killer feature for that type of machine.

What was it about UNIX workstations that made RISC CPUs particularly well-suited to them?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What was it about UNIX workstations that made RISC CPUs particularly well-suited to them?

Speed. Early RISC performance numbers made it clear that the most commonly used CISC UNIX workstation CPU family, Motorola's 680x0 series, was going to be left in the dust.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BobHoward posted:

It's not inevitable that all PCs will be using Arm CPUs in 5 or 10 years, but I do think we're in an inflection point where that could happen. It depends a great deal on Microsoft having the desire and competence to push it forwards.

I mean, depends. PCs in the trad sense are a bit of a shrinking market and have been for a while now; below it we have phones, tablets and I guess Chromebooks and that's pretty much ARM land. Above that we have servers which care a whole lot less about ISAs and after years of talk ARM servers are actually beginning to become a thing in eg AWS. Microsoft matters when it comes to 'traditional desktop' but people are traditionally desktopping less.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

BobHoward posted:

You even see people making the same mental mistakes. Back in the day, people used to scoff at the idea that x86 could take on the workstation and server markets. Recently, we've seen many similar opinions about Arm; people assume there's some intrinsic property which makes x86 faster.

Apple's already exploiting the fact that it's easier to go wide with the ARM ISA. I get the impression that ARM's vector instructions are better thought out than the Intel equivalents. Is there a legitimate argument to be made that ARM CPUs are actually likely to overtake x86 in performance within a few years?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Apple's already exploiting the fact that it's easier to go wide with the ARM ISA. I get the impression that ARM's vector instructions are better thought out than the Intel equivalents. Is there a legitimate argument to be made that ARM CPUs are actually likely to overtake x86 in performance within a few years?

Arguably, we're already there.

https://browser.geekbench.com/processors/intel-core-i9-11900k
https://browser.geekbench.com/macs/mac-mini-late-2020
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201897

Obviously these are just benchmarks and a lot of caveats apply but the Apple M1 running at 3.2GHz using 39W of power is extremely close to the top intel processor boosting to 5.3GHz using 125W of power. I imagine, if they wanted to, Apple could just boost the speed and power consumption of the M1 and be the fastest current processor.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

UNIX and RISC also went well together for more “social” reasons: The UNIX workstation rose to prominence with 68K but higher performance was going to require new architectures, as BonHoward said. The UNIX workstation had also mostly come out of work done at universities, particularly Berkeley and Stanford. (Remember that SUN was originally an acronym!)

RISC was a Berkeley-Stanford thing just like most of the UNIX workstations so it was natural for industry partnerships to form, especially when it came to the workstation companies that were university spin-offs.

The other reason that UNIX workstations went with RISC was because UNIX was super-portable by the standards of the day. Not only was most of the kernel in C, so was the rest of the OS and its toolchain. So you could add support for your new architecture to the assembler, then the linker, then the compiler, and have something working in no time—running existing code with existing test suites. And any code generation improvements have global benefit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gwaihir posted:

I wouldn't charge for it since it's surplus, other than just whatever it took to pack and ship. But, like, that would be a lot, lol

The old machine is on top. Each of those CECs are about 100 pounds, I think.

Goony Trip report!

Me and Cowman drove down from Atlanta to meet up with Gwaihir and picked up the IBMs!

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 4, 2021

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
:buddy:

I can't wait to see what that sucker can do once it's not locked under core license restrictions!

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

CommieGIR posted:

Goony Trip report!

Me and Cowman drove down from Atlanta to meet up with Gwaihir and picked up the IBMs!

Kudos on a great acquisition! I hope you do cool things with it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m really curious to hear about homelab projects too, I can never think of things I want to do yet want to get setups like RPi clusters for no reason :haw:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

priznat posted:

I’m really curious to hear about homelab projects too, I can never think of things I want to do yet want to get setups like RPi clusters for no reason :haw:

Of course, we also have an awesome homelab thread I started for that: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3945277

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Of course, we also have an awesome homelab thread I started for that: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3945277

Very neat, bookmarked! Would be interesting to see more on what projects people are using em for too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Power 770s are installed! Will be wiring them up tomorrow and doing initial testing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

:aaa:

That's awesome! Can't wait to see more of it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Tried to power up the Power 770s but the HMC is toast so if I want to boot them I'll need another HMC or connect to them serially to boot

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Russia announces plans to push homegrown RISC-V designs into the government and education spaces by 2025.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16827/russia-to-build-riscv-processors-for-laptops-8core-2-ghz-12nm-2025

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

mdxi posted:

Russia announces plans to push homegrown RISC-V designs into the government and education spaces by 2025.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16827/russia-to-build-riscv-processors-for-laptops-8core-2-ghz-12nm-2025

It'll be interesting to see how they perform. I do wonder how RISC-V will perform in non-testbed scenarios.

Still making slow, steady progress on selling my backlog of computers for the purpose of acquiring an eight core POWER9 machine here. People keep advocating for Fedora on ppc64le, but Ubuntu's my comfort zone - how much harder will I make my life if I go that route instead?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Run NetBSD, OP.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I put Ubuntu 18.04 on a Talos II Power9 a while back and it ran great. I don’t really care a lot about distros I just put server on without gui and have my set of scripts I run on it anyway though. I couldn’t tell you what the differences are between fedora or netbsd or ubuntu. It was just I already had a live usb stick with it!

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Hasturtium posted:

It'll be interesting to see how they perform. I do wonder how RISC-V will perform in non-testbed scenarios.

Still making slow, steady progress on selling my backlog of computers for the purpose of acquiring an eight core POWER9 machine here. People keep advocating for Fedora on ppc64le, but Ubuntu's my comfort zone - how much harder will I make my life if I go that route instead?

To be honest, I think almost any CPU these days is fast enough to run a bureaucracy (office work and the like). I mean, if it is *that* important to run homegrown CPUs you could probably do some extra work on the software side as well.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

You can run a small office on terminals connected to a single 16-bit minicomputer with only a few hundred kilowords of memory and a few megawords of secondary storage, and a large office with not significantly more, scaling pretty linearly.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ascenium-reinvent-the-cpu Ascenium Wants to Reinvent the CPU - And Kill Instruction Sets Altogether

It's not a Mill rebrand, but some of this sounds pretty nonsensical to me?

quote:

And with deep pipelines and the specialized hardware registers and stages which make up a modern CPU's processing, Ascenium estimates that around 50% of instructions are related to the movement of data through the pipeline - instructions and moves which take up both processing time and power budget.
Naturally, if one could create an architecture that reduces the need to shuffle data around, it'd find itself with a relevant power efficiency advantage.

I get a kick out of showing more software oriented folks register renaming, but someone doing this since 2005 ought to have heard of it. But "data through the pipeline" isn't quite even that. Or it's a slightly different point on the Cell curve, you've got a zillion simple FPGA slices that can be configured a few ways based on workload.

Anyway, ISA's are a thing of the past, good riddance, now throw your code into the magical parallelism machine.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

PDP-8 had a good ISA.

eschaton fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 16, 2021

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Want to build your own? You can!

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
There's still a bunch of botique ISAs running around in the microcontroller world, although cortex-m has been eating them one by one.

The ones I've worked with directly:

NXP Coldfire: not-quite-a-68k
32-bit micro that's similar to but not binary compatible with 68000. Mnemonics mostly the same but the opcodes changed, with a few additions and subtractions. Beefy enough to run uclinux in '99 then full-blown linux with mmu on coldfire v4 in 2000. Not a whole lot to say about the ISA since it was a slightly optimized variant on the extremely popular 68k. Dropped binary coded decimal support and tweaked a few other things.

It's being phased out for Cortex-A/Cortex-M parts but they still sell them up to 266mhz.

Microchip PIC: grandad's microprocessor

Love them or hate them, they're absolutely everywhere. The earlier 8-bit parts were interesting to program for in anything but assembler given the c-hostile ISA. Single accumulator, N-banks of 256 8-bit registers that serve as ram. No access to the hardware stack so it's only usable for ISRs and of course your "software stack" is using the same registers you're trying to push. All registers have to be accessed directly, with a pair of hardware registers to do indirect addressing.

Eventually the indirect addressing was extended to add post-increment. Before that you had to manually increment FSR to get the next byte of an array. I hated working with them.

TI MSP430: seemingly operates on unicorn farts, not electricity

Can run for literal years on a single coin-cell due to the hyper-optimized wake/sleep cycles. 16-bit von neumann with an enormous variety of peripherals, pinouts, operating frequencies and sram capacity. 16 registers, with PC/SP/SR and hardcoded-zero being the first 4 and addressed the same as the 12 following general purpose regs. Two dozen or so opcodes so not a lot of core complexity to deal with, until you've got more than 64k of addressable storage. Then things start to get weird, since it doesn't have virtual memory. If you needed a small amount of code over what was partitioned on your particular chip you could just copy it to a fixed (low) SRAM location and jump to it. If you needed more than that, you got to enjoy the wild word of overlays and trampolines. To call a function in high-flash you had to copy it to low SRAM then jump to it. The next function? Yup, copy that bank in and jump to the same address, now with new code. This was always a source of excitement when debugging. This is different than segmented processors like the 8086 in that it required a memory copy rather than just changing a bank register.

AVR (Alf and Vegard's RISC processor): Basis of the arduino phenomenon and 3d printers everywhere.
8-bit harvard architecture with 32 registers.

Probably the one i've worked the most on, entirely due to a quirk of timing that the UART perhiperal supported 9-bit serial when the other options needed to bit-bang without hardware support. Instruction set is fairly sane, mostly-general-purpose registers with a few special meanings. There's a few quirks to be aware of, such as flags only being affected by specific instructions and not always the ones you'd expect. Different opcodes for the different addressing domains, IO/register file/SRAM/EEPROM/flash. Flash is word-addressed so you can directly load from 128k. Since so much addressing is 16bit there's MOV.W instructions added later that set register pairs at once.

A slight revamp/cleanup of the addressing modes was done for the "xmega" line but they're fundamentally the same. Supports every perhiperal under the sun, including USB (device). Also owned by microchip now.

I'm probably forgetting some but this post is already way too long.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Harik posted:

TI MSP430: seemingly operates on unicorn farts, not electricity

I designed something with a MSP430, it had a capacitive sensor.

The factory reported that they would put the device into the test jig, turn the power on, and the software would report PASS before they got anywhere near the capacitive sensor. The eventual root cause was the UART lines TX/RX were providing enough juice for the chip to boot and limp through the cap sense procedure. When it got a real power supply the numbers got big enough that the SW recorded the PASS because it saw enough swing on the pads.

The ISA was understandably limited. I had a few bit-shifts, but the ISA didn't have anything variable so they just had a function that was 10 of them they'd jump into at the appropriate point. Switch statements got boiled down to a jump table. An intern wrote something like (I%40) and saw it executing orders of magnitude slower because it was spending the vast majority of time doing that division.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

The factory reported that they would put the device into the test jig, turn the power on, and the software would report PASS before they got anywhere near the capacitive sensor. The eventual root cause was the UART lines TX/RX were providing enough juice for the chip to boot and limp through the cap sense procedure. When it got a real power supply the numbers got big enough that the SW recorded the PASS because it saw enough swing on the pads.

The ISA was understandably limited. I had a few bit-shifts, but the ISA didn't have anything variable so they just had a function that was 10 of them they'd jump into at the appropriate point. Switch statements got boiled down to a jump table. An intern wrote something like (I%40) and saw it executing orders of magnitude slower because it was spending the vast majority of time doing that division.

IIRC ARM's first CPU had this happen where they couldn't turn it off because it would get enough current from the I/O pins to stay on

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

Also while its not technically limited to MSP430s it basically is: FRAM is magic.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I just built out a little RISC-V workstation!

• SiFive HiFive Unmatched development board
  • Fractal Design Node 202 mini-ITX case
  • Fractal Design Ion SFX-L 650W Gold power supply (do not use this, I was stupid, it’s oriented the wrong way for the case)
  • Intel WiFi 6 (Gig+) Desktop Kit for M.2 WiFi and Bluetooth
  • WD Blue 2TB M.2 NVME SSD
  • AMD Radeon 5450 2GB PCIe video card

It came right up from the SiFive SD card images, as one should expect.

In the next year or so, I should be able to switch it to either Fedora or FreeBSD.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

eschaton posted:

• Fractal Design Ion SFX-L 650W Gold power supply (do not use this, I was stupid, it’s oriented the wrong way for the case)

In the next year or so, I should be able to switch it to either Fedora or FreeBSD.

Cool! How’s performance of the SiFive, and what are your initial impressions?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

Gotta post some photos!

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

It looks like a Haiku kernel hacker got the OS running in a barebones fashion on a SiFive HiFive Unmatched in about two weeks. As a BeOS head once upon a time, it makes me happy to see it.

edit: Also, am I crazy or does the Unmatched not have a front panel USB connector?

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 30, 2021

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

You’re not crazy, it does not have either a front panel or USB header.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Does anybody have recs for computer architecture, ideally for micros but possibly for other stuff (hopefully not x86) textbooks that are good and a useful read? Ideally more focused on the implications of the architecture on code that runs on the device. Have some coworkers that would get a lot out of one. Unfortunately I picked up what I know out of practical experience and accumulated debugging and so on so I don’t really know what a good one would be.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Phobeste posted:

Does anybody have recs for computer architecture, ideally for micros but possibly for other stuff (hopefully not x86) textbooks that are good and a useful read? Ideally more focused on the implications of the architecture on code that runs on the device. Have some coworkers that would get a lot out of one. Unfortunately I picked up what I know out of practical experience and accumulated debugging and so on so I don’t really know what a good one would be.

When I was in school "Computer Architecture - A Quantitative Approach" by Hennessy and Patterson was the gold standard and it looks like there have been several new editions of it since then. It's mostly more general than specific architectures but they have updated it with multicore and even GPU stuff. The newest one (6th edition) does have RISC V examples.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You may get more out of the Patterson and Hennessy book first, thats how a university curriculum would normally work. https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Organization-Design-RISC-V-Architecture/dp/0128203315/

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Awesome, thank you both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

In addition to H&P, “Computer Engineering: A DEC View of Hardware Systems Design” is also worth a read for some historical perspective.